Rosen or Darnold? Who's your pick?

I'm not sure which  will turn out better.

So as a fan I take Rosen, because I think his high profile will be a nice change for Buffalo. The Bills will be higher profile and maybe have some fun or interesting media exposure.

Plus I can do all kinds of stuff with calling him "Moses Rosen" who will lead us to the promised land and so on.

As a coach I take Darnold because his mouth is closed. That would be way easier on my nerves and I could just coach and do my job and not have to worry about dealing with things he said. Of the top 5, so far as I know, the ONLY one who has his mouth closed is Sam Darnold. No twitter, no instagram, no youtube promo videos, no expressing his philosophy.

The guy knows you keep his mouth shut like a rookie should. To some degree the other guys are all doing promotional work to sell themselves. Stuff like "telling their story". But at this point their story is they are an undrafted rookie who has shown nothing in the NFL. So I think Darnold is smartest about that, because he seems to know that.

Everyone who wants Darnold, consider this. He would have been on the bench and this would be his first season as a starter in college if Rosen had gone to USC instead of UCLA. Rosen was the #1 QB in the country and the top recruit in California. A 5 star recruit.

At the Elite 11 camp, Rosen is selected and Darnold is not. Ricky Town is also selected and he is the USC Trojan's top QB recruit. Darnold is the other QB in the class and a lot wasn't expected of him. He might have sat behind Town but Town decided to leave USC because Cody Kesller was the starter and he wanted to play. Darnold redshirted and waited for his turn. Then he had 1 good season and 1 not as good season and now he's NFL ready? I don't buy it. He might have been on the bench at USC if things didn't fall his way.

Edited by kdiggz

2 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Everyone who wants Darnold, consider this. He would have been on the bench and this would be his first season as a starter in college if Rosen had gone to USC instead of UCLA. Rosen was the #1 QB in the country and the top recruit in California. A 5 star recruit.

Rosen vs Darnold at Elite 11 camp, Rosen is selected and Darnold is not. Ricky Town is also selected and he is the USC Trojan's top QB recruit. Darnold is the other QB in the class and a lot wasn't expected of him. He might have sat behind Town but Town decided to leave USC because Cody Kesller was the starter and he wanted to play. Darnold redshirted and waited for his turn. Then he had 1 good season and 1 not as good season and now he's NFL ready? I don't buy it. He might have been on the bench at USC if things didn't fall his way.

Hypotheticals mean nothing, though.  Darnold didn't, as it happens, sit on the bench waiting his turn.  Teams evaluate the players, take into account performance, character, injury concerns, team fit, ceiling, floor, etc.  Darnold is more creative and durable.  Rosen has a perfect throwing motion and intelligence.  They're both fine choices.  

Edited by Dr. Who

rosen_buff.jpg

Not only do I think Rosen will be better, I think he's a better fit for what we want to run on offense, and we can get him later, keeping more picks.  Yes, there is a slight injury concern, but I think it's overblown, and I'm not worried about it.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Also consider this. We aren't getting Darnold unless we trade up to pick 2. The cost to get to 2 will likely be 12, 22, 53, 65, next year's 1st. Compare that to the cost to get to 5-7 for Rosen and it is likely to be 12, 22, 65. Not only is Rosen a better QB but he's MUCH cheaper. Think of what kind of player you can get with the extra picks. At pick 53 maybe you get a great deep threat receiver like DJ Chark. And next year's 1st is likely to be a top 10 pick! We can get a pro bowl type player. All of this in addition to Rosen who is already better than Darnold! Even the Darnold people will admit Rosen is better right now but they guess that something could change that in the future. Well if you know the future please let me know the lottery numbers. Thank you

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Even the Darnold people will admit Rosen is better right now but they guess that something could change that in the future. Well if you know the future please let me know the lottery numbers. Thank you

But the draft is literally all about projection.  Will Rosen stay healthy or not?  Will Allen reach his potential?  How would Mayfield react to the bright lights of NYC?  

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

But the draft is literally all about projection.  Will Rosen stay healthy or not?  Will Allen reach his potential?  How would Mayfield react to the bright lights of NYC?  

And that's why teams miss because you can't predict the future. Just get the best player. As long as there's no red flags like he likes to do drugs or slack off or murder people then it's all good

40 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Hypotheticals mean nothing, though.  Darnold didn't, as it happens, sit on the bench waiting his turn.  Teams evaluate the players, take into account performance, character, injury concerns, team fit, ceiling, floor, etc.  Darnold is more creative and durable.  Rosen has a perfect throwing motion and intelligence.  They're both fine choices.  

Didn't Michael Jordan get cut from his high school team? I mean the world would have been different if he'd quit right then and there.

Edited by horned dogs
  • Like (+1) 1

Rosen.   He has an efficient delivery an is very accurate.   Every time I watched him, just thinking he looks like a top NFL QB.    

Darnold has that funky motion, which does work, but worries.   I do love Darnold's mentality.