Rosen or Darnold? Who's your pick?

10 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I'm still Team Darnold > Rosen (though neither is my #1 guy), but this performance wasn't nearly as good as I remembered lol. Seems like it's his version of the overrated Rosen vs. A&M game.

Something about Darnold's throwing motion in that Penn State game video looks funky to me.  He's not coming over the top, in a fluid (classic) NFL QB style.   More like a stiff, three-quarters heaving motion that gets even more messed up when his feet aren't set.

Every time I see video of this guy I scratch my head and say "where's the beef?"   He might eventually become a good starter with more experience--but seems way too raw to be a top 5 pick, IMO...

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Something about Darnold's throwing motion in that Penn State game video looks funky to me.  He's not coming over the top, in a fluid (classic) NFL QB style.   More like a stiff, three-quarters heaving motion that gets even more messed up when his feet aren't set.

Every time I see video of this guy I scratch my head and say "where's the beef?"   He might eventually become a good starter with more experience--but seems way too raw to be a top 5 pick, IMO...

As I mentioned in my follow-up post, what he was able to do in college is a testament to how talented he is because his footwork is holding him back a ton and he still showed off really impressive ball placement more often than not in college while also being more of an anticipatory passer than most of the other guys in this draft class.

I'm slowly starting to think he's more of a project than people let on though, and it's making me reconsider my ranking of him. If I believe both of them are projects, do I still prefer Darnold over a guy like Josh Allen that has far better physical tools to work with? I don't really know to be honest; I'm starting to see why the Browns are reportedly so tempted to go with Allen instead.

Edit: Sidenote, you can definitely see the Allen-overstriding thing that I believe Jordan Palmer referred to in an interview a little while back.

Edited by DCOrange