Rosen or Darnold? Who's your pick?

Darnold won't turn 21 till this summer. Rosen just turned 21, same as Jackson.  Allen will be 22 next month. Mayfield just turned 23.

Compare: Wentz was 23 when drafted. Goff 21. Trubisky 22.5.

This is part of what's so difficult. In some ways it's like the MLB draft: do you go with the best athlete in high school, or do you go with the more polished college kid? It would be reasonable to assume that the 23 year old is more ready (physically and mentally) to step right in, and that was certainly the case with Wentz. And given free agency and QB contracts, maybe you don't want to waste a year or two as the younger guy matures?

• Like (+1) 1

Rosen but I think the Bills would be happy with either him or Darnold.

Both guys project as bona fide starters with "franchise" ceilings.

Allen's ceiling is "elite" but the odds are against his ever getting there. 

Having said that, if Allen drops to 12, which may be unlikely, I would not be stunned if Beane drafted him. 

He's not much of a fan favourite but I think much of the hype is a genuine reflection of how at least some pro evaluators see him as a prospect. 

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

Rosen but I think the Bills would be happy with either him or Darnold.

Both guys project as bona fide starters with "franchise" ceilings.

Allen's ceiling is "elite" but the odds are against his ever getting there. 

Having said that, if Allen drops to 12, which may be unlikely, I would not be stunned if Beane drafted him. 

He's not much of a fan favourite but I think much of the hype is a genuine reflection of how at least some pro evaluators see him as a prospect. 

I like the top four.  I would be surprised if Allen drops to 12.  I think there's a better chance Rosen falls a bit.  

Just now, metzelaars_lives said:

Still amusing to me that in the TBD universe, Josh Allen sucks and isn't worth of getting drafted on Thursday or Friday but meanwhile, in reality, a lot of people have him going first overall. 

Not everyone here hates Allen.  He's my second choice after Darnold.

1 minute ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Still amusing to me that in the TBD universe, Josh Allen sucks and isn't worth of getting drafted on Thursday or Friday but meanwhile, in reality, a lot of people have him going first overall. 

I don't mind Allen. I think he deserves to go in the 1st round, but in back half specifically and only because of his accuracy. Like everything else about him.

I think Darnold has the upside to be Rosen with mobility and durability but I would certainly not be unhappy with either.  Clearly the two best QB prospects without the risk of Mayfield, Allen or Jackson.

Edited by Woodman19

2 hours ago, horned dogs said:

I agree with everything you said, except the bolded. It would still not surprise me to see both gone in the TOP 3.

A couple of ways they both fall out out of top 3 is Giants don't go QB, browns go BPA @1 and qb@4, or browns go Allen #1 

I think Jets are set on Mayfield (hunch)

I think Browns might go for the lottery ticket with Allen at 4 and Chubb/Barkley #1

I think Giants pass on a QB, but I think the only one they'd go for is Darnold.

30 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

I think Darnold has the upside to be Rosen with mobility and durability but I would certainly not be unhappy with either.  Clearly the two best QB prospects without the risk of Mayfield, Allen or Jackson.

That is definitely not "clear."

Rosen would be my 1st choice, assuming they vet him and are comfortable with his character/injury history.

If they have serious questions about Rosen, then I'd say take Darnold. 

Ultimately, id be absolutely thrilled with either one! 

Edited by BillsFan4

Rosen. The more I watch of him, the more convinced I am that he's closer to Peyton Manning, Rodgers, or even Brady than anyone in this draft by a long shot, maybe even better than Luck coming out. I mean as far as reading defenses, and just picking apart a secondary. Darnold and Mayfield I'd be ok with, but Rosen is the man

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Rosen. The more I watch of him, the more convinced I am that he's closer to Peyton Manning, Rodgers, or even Brady than anyone in this draft by a long shot, maybe even better than Luck coming out. I mean as far as reading defenses, and just picking apart a secondary. Darnold and Mayfield I'd be ok with, but Rosen is the man

I agree. My only concern with Rosen is what appears to be a more fragile frame. (I don't care at all about nebulous "character" issues/smears.) But very often the guy who seems to be the greater injury risk turns out in the NFL to be the more durable, sometimes because that pocket passer guy avoids the types of plays that get him injured.

15 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

A couple of ways they both fall out out of top 3 is Giants don't go QB, browns go BPA @1 and qb@4, or browns go Allen #1 

I think Jets are set on Mayfield (hunch)

I think Browns might go for the lottery ticket with Allen at 4 and Chubb/Barkley #1

I think Giants pass on a QB, but I think the only one they'd go for is Darnold.

What do you think the Broncos do if both are available?  If they don't want qb, they could trade back and get a nice payout.

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

I agree. My only concern with Rosen is what appears to be a more fragile frame. (I don't care at all about nebulous "character" issues/smears.) But very often the guy who seems to be the greater injury risk turns out in the NFL to be the more durable, sometimes because that pocket passer guy avoids the types of plays that get him injured.

He can always pack on a few pounds, but you can't teach the underlying intelligence that he already has....not enough to make say Matt Ryan into Tom Brady.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Rosen is heavier than Darnold and he is only 21 and can pack on more weight. But 6'4" 226 is pretty solid. Also consider that Darnold likes to run and hit people, played LB in high school. Who is more likely to get hurt? The guy who likes to run and initiate contact or the pocket passer who will throw it out of bounds? How often do pocket passers in the NFL get hit? Brady never gets hit it's crazy