How many Franchise quarterbacks with come from this draft?

Hebert19

'Franchise QBs'  

86 members have voted

1. 1. How many Franchise qbs come from this draft

• 4 or more
    • 1 or less

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Just like the 2004 draft all over again.

i saw a post from you earlier about this.  Eli, of course. Big Ben, of course.

but Rivers? Why? 

i thought part of being a  "franchise QB" is winning and keeping your team "in the mix" every year. He's played 14 years and made the playoffs 4 times. Once every 3 1/2 years. Heck, even Hotrod makes the playoffs more often than that

Edited by reddogblitz

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

i saw a post from you earlier about this.  Eli, of course. Big Ben, of course.

but Rivers? Why? 

i thought part of being a  "franchise QB" is winning and keeping your team "in the mix" every year. He's played 14 years and made the playoffs 4 times. Once every 3 1/2 years. Heck, even Hotrod makes the playoffs more often than that

This has been said, correctly, approximately seven million times. Winning is not a QB thing. It's a team thing, every time. What a QB can do is play QB extremely well. With a crappy team around him that won't be enough. Rivers is terrific. His team has been terrible.

He is absolutely a franchise QB, a top ten guy. On the Steelers he might have won more titles than Roethlisberger. What a franchise guy does is give your team a chance every year. A chance. But if your GM and coach consistently put a bad team around him, that chance will go for naught.

And no, Hotrod doesn't make the playoffs more than that. The Buffalo Bills made the playoffs one of three years with Hotrod at QB. The Buffalo Bills did. And the Ravens won a Super Bowl with him. Wasn't really him, or Flacco, that gets the credit, though. It's the Ravens. The QB is the foundation without which it's extremely unlikely to win a title. But not the only thing necessary to win a title.

Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield, and 1 other person picked later. So 50% shot with top 4 guys and then who knows who else out of the rest so like a less than 10% chance if you don't go for one of the top picks. Much better odds if we can get a guy at the top. Must trade up

11 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Btw franchise means long term starter with multiple pro bowls for the same of this poll.

I say 2...And that's it.  I from the big 4 or 5 depending who you ask and one from later in draft like lauretta or Rudolph.  

Just because there are a lot of quarterbacks doesn't mean they are franchise. 

Based on you definition- I think at least 3 or 4 - so I will go with 3.  At least 2 of the top 4 guys and one additional from the lower ranks.

I mean guys like Andy Dalton and Matt Schaub fit that criteria.  Heck TT is close with 1 PB and a 3 year starter in Buffalo.  Even Vince Young is a multi time ProBowler that played 5 seasons for Tennessee.

Interestingly (at least to me) Matt Stafford does not fit this criteria as he has only 1 ProBowl I believe.

I think there are at least 3 guys easily that can hit this especially as several guys that go yearly - Brady, Brees, Manning are on the way out. It would not shock me if 5 guys ended up fitting this description from this draft.

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

This has been said, correctly, approximately seven million times. Winning is not a QB thing. It's a team thing, every time. What a QB can do is play QB extremely well. With a crappy team around him that won't be enough. Rivers is terrific. His team has been terrible.

He is absolutely a franchise QB, a top ten guy. On the Steelers he might have won more titles than Roethlisberger. What a franchise guy does is give your team a chance every year. A chance. But if your GM and coach consistently put a bad team around him, that chance will go for naught.

And no, Hotrod doesn't make the playoffs more than that. The Buffalo Bills made the playoffs one of three years with Hotrod at QB. The Buffalo Bills did. And the Ravens won a Super Bowl with him. Wasn't really him, or Flacco, that gets the credit, though. It's the Ravens. The QB is the foundation without which it's extremely unlikely to win a title. But not the only thing necessary to win a title.

Flacco is another interesting name because he was a rookie of the year, a Super Bowl MVP, holds a bunch of Baltimore and a few NFL records for regular and post season play, but does not fit the criteria due to a lack of ProBowls.

The ProBowl piece is the part that is hard to guesstimate in this as it is such a popularity contest over meaning something.

It is just fascinating to me.

16 hours ago, joesixpack said:

I’m saying three. 

Odd men out are mayfield Allen and Jackson 

I think one of these 3 end up being " franchise" and either Rosen or Darnold bombs. It rarely goes the way the " experts" say it will. 

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nice post and good point. I go back and forth between three and four, but not all of the big four. I have a good feeling (guess) about Mayfield. Rosen if he stays healthy, but that's a big if. 

It's all guesswork but yours is thoughtful and smart.

The assessment of 3 made by billspro that 3 of the top QBs from this draft will become franchise QBs is reasonable based on his statistical analysis, but it does not speak to key points which is critical to Bills making choices in this years draft.  Specifically:

If we take it as true 3 of these drafted QBs become franchise players:

1.  how many of these 3 only finally achieve franchise status after wearing out their welcome with the team which drafted them and improve to the franchise level after being traded or cut?

Even if the braintrust makes a correct assessment of franchise talent, this great player may well need to learn the game fully by making and learning from rookie mistakes?  My guess is that even if the Bills scouts make a quality assessment and choice of QBs, this great QB has to drag behind him the anchor of a Bills team which badly needs 2 Lbs, a WR, an OL starting talent (or 2 if Incognito continues to blow up) and a solid youth injection into our aging roster.  If we have to trade 2+ 1sts to get a top QB, I thibk that is a bad deal for us.

2.  Given the horrible way we "trained" Peierman, my confidence in McD as a team builder and game manager is high EXCEPT his Bills team simply suck at O play design and game calling.  I like our chances much better if instead of the greater risk of a rookie becoming the franchise guy we need that instead we get our salary cap together as we plan for 2019 and then bid fir next year's version of FAs llike Peyton Manning or Cousins.

9 hours ago, KingRex said:

The assessment of 3 made by billspro that 3 of the top QBs from this draft will become franchise QBs is reasonable based on his statistical analysis, but it does not speak to key points which is critical to Bills making choices in this years draft.  Specifically:

If we take it as true 3 of these drafted QBs become franchise players:

1.  how many of these 3 only finally achieve franchise status after wearing out their welcome with the team which drafted them and improve to the franchise level after being traded or cut?

Even if the braintrust makes a correct assessment of franchise talent, this great player may well need to learn the game fully by making and learning from rookie mistakes?  My guess is that even if the Bills scouts make a quality assessment and choice of QBs, this great QB has to drag behind him the anchor of a Bills team which badly needs 2 Lbs, a WR, an OL starting talent (or 2 if Incognito continues to blow up) and a solid youth injection into our aging roster.  If we have to trade 2+ 1sts to get a top QB, I thibk that is a bad deal for us.

2.  Given the horrible way we "trained" Peierman, my confidence in McD as a team builder and game manager is high EXCEPT his Bills team simply suck at O play design and game calling.  I like our chances much better if instead of the greater risk of a rookie becoming the franchise guy we need that instead we get our salary cap together as we plan for 2019 and then bid fir next year's version of FAs llike Peyton Manning or Cousins.

Well, of course the player may need to learn the game fully by making and learning from rookie mistakes. Just not necessarily in their rookie year. Did Tom Brady need to make his rookie mistakes in his rookie  year in order to learn the game fully? Drew Brees? Aaron Rodgers? All three, the best in the game took their rookie years off. Some guys don't necessarily need a year off. Some teams might need their young guy to play. But it wouldn't hurt anyone to take a year off.

Next year's version of FAs like Peyton Manning or Cousins are entirely imaginary. They don't exist in reality. They'll be guys like Foles and Brissett, Cutler if he hasn't retired, Yates, Osweiler, EJ Manuel. Bryce Petty, maybe. Siemian. Hundley. If you're really lucky and the Ravens draft someone early this year and he pays off, maybe Flacco might be available. Those are next year's versions of Peyton Manning or Cousins. Guys like those two come around very very occasionally. It's not a mistake you had to go back six years to find your second example, Manning.

Edited by Thurman#1

I pick 4. 

IMO these 4 will be franchise worthy for many years. I do not think more then 4 will be franchise worthy though.

My 4 is of course the top 3 and then a projected late 1st rounder.

Darnold, Rosen,Mayfield and Rudolph.

Edited by xRUSHx

I’d say at least 3 maybe a 4th low end franchise qb. I also believe there will be at least 5-6 capable quarterbacks from this draft (at least capable of being a top end backup).

The class is very deep and there will be a few surprise players like a Rudolph, Falk, Lauletta, White etc. beyond the top 5 that are most discussed. Plus, the top 5 qbs have serious potential. In the end, Bills will get a qb. Just hope it’s the right one for our franchise.