Hand size

While I understand the importance and theory, is it a deal breaker? Cold weathered QB's in the league have denounced that stigma, ie Rodgers. That said, it seems to me that hand STRENGTH is much more important. Why do we never see any stats on that? 9 inch hands with 130 lbs pressure is way better to hold a football than 10 inch hands with 100 lbs...just a thought. Will this ever become the norm in evaluation of QB's, or are we forever a non evolving league?

Strong hands hold the ball alot better when hit from the blindside than a big hand. 

Anylitics depts should be all over this as the path to future evaluations IMO

I get the concept but I have a hard time seeing coaches using this measurable because the plan is to not get your QB hit from behind, if at all.

It's a defensive measurable for an offensive position.

Sounds like playing not to lose to me.

Also I doubt that players are going to be gripping the ball as hard as they can when they throw it or are getting ready to throw it.

Reminds me of pitching, loose but firm grip.

Edited by The Wiz

31 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I get the concept but I have a hard time seeing coaches using this measurable because the plan is to not get your QB hit from behind, if at all.

It's a defensive measurable for an offensive position.

Sounds like playing not to lose to me.

Also I doubt that players are going to be gripping the ball as hard as they can when they throw it or are getting ready to throw it.

Reminds me of pitching, loose but firm grip.

On the contrary sir. If we/they/ them, all judge hand SIZE as the definition of a strong, capable QB, then why WOULDN'T you include the most important factor of all when it comes to "that" measurable in a QB? That being hand strength rather than size.

38 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

You know what they say about a QB with big hands...:P

Is "they" a "she"?

Edited by BuffAlone

5 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

On the contrary sir. If we/they/ them, all judge hand SIZE as the definition of a strong, capable QB, then why WOULDN'T you include the most important factor of all when it comes to "that" measurable in a QB? That being hand strength rather than size.

Well, I'm just guessing because I really don't know, but hand size,to me, likely correlates more to accuracy and ball flight.  I'm sure there are people with small hands that can throw accurate and throw a tight spiral but they probably lack in other areas.

Like I said, I get it but I don't think it's something that is going to be used because of the fact it sounds like a fallback measurable.  It's like measuring a point guard on his ability to shoot.  Is it good, yes.  Is it required, not as much as his ability to run the offense and pass the ball.

55 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Yep. Grip strength. It's definitely measurable, so I'm sure they'll eventually start doing it.

Grip strength is why rock climbers always seem to win America Ninja Warrior. Not just the big "strong" athletes.

Should we be scouting Ninja Warriors? THAT sounds like a pretty cool story! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Well, I'm just guessing because I really don't know, but hand size,to me, likely correlates more to accuracy and ball flight.  I'm sure there are people with small hands that can throw accurate and throw a tight spiral but they probably lack in other areas.

Like I said, I get it but I don't think it's something that is going to be used because of the fact it sounds like a fallback measurable.  It's like measuring a point guard on his ability to shoot.  Is it good, yes.  Is it required, not as much as his ability to run the offense and pass the ball.

I understand that point. Aaron Rodgers has "small" hands, plays in a cold weather, outdoor stadium. That said, I just think the bigger measurement should be strength v.s. size. I'm willing to bet that these come to the forefront in QB's in the near future, same as it applies to WR's. It's That important. I truly believe that

Hand size is only one of those things that can only hurt you not help you. Having a 10” vs 10.5” hand doesn’t matter. Having a 9.25” hand is terrible.

To add on, it’s not so much good vs. bad. It’s another metric to help add to the mix when playing the percentages of probability of being good.

• Thank you (+1) 1