Eagles strike new deal with Nick Foles

papazoid

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Not sure I understand your point. It's pretty clear that with the Rams, he ended up being asked to run an antiquated Coryell system which was the opposite of what he is good at (modified RPO system which is entirely legit at this point). Outside of the Rams, he has been pretty darn good overall, and we now have enough playoff games (4) to conclude that he is basically elite in the postseason -- 113.2 rating. I'm eliminating his rookie season from consideration - Philly was a mess in 2012 and Reid was on his way out.

Inconsistency throughout his career is the point.  Last season he was all over the place in regular season games with and he flat out stunk in a couple of games before catching fire against MIN and obviously the Super Bowl against NE. .

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Inconsistency throughout his career is the point.  Last season he was all over the place in regular season games with and he flat out stunk in a couple of games before catching fire against MIN and obviously the Super Bowl against NE. .

Deal with the Fisher problem if you are going to make this argument. The Rams were a qb graveyard under him. As for last season, he was excellent subbing for wentz against LA (i watched the game, forget the stats) and struggled in a meaningless game against dallas. He was excellent against a good atlanta team after an opening-throw duck (just like ryan) in bad conditions, and then shredded Minn and NE.

Edited by dave mcbride

See edit above. I fundamentally don't buy your argument and i actually watched the games .

I did too and he was awful on MNF against the Raiders and had a terrible game in the season finale against the Cowboys.  

343px50.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I did too and he was awful on MNF against the Raiders and had a terrible game in the season finale against the Cowboys.  

Look, if you're not going to factor in the three playoff games to his overall performance last season, I don't know what to say. It's like Bills fans saying Hogan only had 38 catches in 2016 and neglecting his crazy postseason stats against better competition in more meaningful games. The dallas game was utterly meaningless, but he stepped it up against better teams over the the next 3 games in a big way.

Edited by dave mcbride

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Look, if you're not going to factor in the three playoff games to his overall performance last season, I don't know what to say. It's like Bills fans saying Hogan only had 38 catches in 2016 and neglecting his crazy postseason stats against better competition in more meaningful games. The dallas game was utterly meaningless, but he stepped it up against better teams over the the next 3 games in a big way.

I did, but like I said he is, but then he isn't which is right back to my original point of inconsistency that you want to discount.

PS - I said this before, but I saw an interview with Foles after the Atlanta playoff game in which he said that after he was traded to the rams, everyone coached him into being a pro-style qb and tried to move him away from what he was good at in that great season with kelly -- playing qb like a point guard (which he was actually recruited for out of HS, along with football). After the end of the season, pederson told him to play the game like he had before - as a point guard - and to forget all of that other stuff. Clearly, it worked. It also indicates how bad Fisher was at conceptualizing a modern offense.

I did, but like I said he is, but then he isn't which is right back to my original point of inconsistency that you want to discount.

See above. I don't buy it. There is no context to your argument beyond surface stats.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

PS - I said this before, but I saw an interview with Foles after the Atlanta playoff game in which he said that after he was traded to the rams, everyone coached him into being a pro-style qb and tried to move him away from what he was good at in that great season with kelly -- playing qb like a point guard (which he was actually recruited for). After the end of the season, pederson told him to play the game like he had before - as a point guard - and to forget all of that other stuff. Clearly, it worked. It also indicates how bad Fisher was at conceptualizing a modern offense.

See above. I don't buy it. There is no consensus ntext to your argument beyond stats.

He's still a backup QB.  That's consensus enough.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

And you still aren't engaging the argument beyond surface-level quips. You're better than this. Engage.

Says you. You're making declarative staments with no evidence to backup your claims.  If he was as good as you say, teams would have been willing to meet the Eagles' hefty price, yet none were. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Name them.

Dude, engage. Four word sentences aren't arguments, they're the lack thereof. 

But since you asked: miami, Buffalo, nyj, cleveland, cincy (yes), jax, tenn (yes), kc, denver, nyg, minn (certainly arguable), chicago, tampa, arizona. That's 14.

Dude, engage. Four word sentences aren't arguments, they're the lack thereof. 

But since you asked: miami, Buffalo, nyj, cleveland, cincy (yes), jax, tenn (yes), kc, denver, nyg, minn (certainly arguable), chicago, tampa, arizona. That's 14.

CHI-nope TB-nope TN- nope KC- nope (Mahomes is their guy) NYG - nope MIN - nope

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Says you. You're making declarative staments with no evidence to backup your claims.  If he was as good as you say, teams would have been willing to meet the Eagles' hefty price, yet none were. 

Oh please. He may or may not be traded, but you don't know the price they're asking for or what teams think of him. And maybe philly is one of those rare smart teams that realizes the value in keeping him. (Clearly, that now seems to be the case.) Please engage beyond one sentence quips. Tell me: what do you actually think of his playoff game performances against NO, Atl, Minn, and NE? Playoff football is put up or shut up time, and I''m curious to know your views on each of these performances. I watched all of them, as i suspect you did.

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

CHI-nope TB-nope TN- nope KC- nope (Mahomes is their guy) NYG - nope MIN - nope

Fair enough. These are arguable. I don't know enough about mahomes, but my point isn't who their guy is; it's who is better. Foles is far better than manning at this point, who is now borderline bad.

Edited by dave mcbride

Oh please. He may or may not be traded, but you don't know the price they're asking for or what teams think of him. And maybe philly is one of those rare smart teams that realizes the value in keeping him. (Clearly now, that seems to be the case.) Please engage beyond one sentence quips. Tell me: what do you actually think of his playoff game performances against NO, Atl, Minn, and NE. Playoff football is put up or shut up time, and I''m curious to know your views on each of these performances. I watched all of them, as i suspect you did.

I agree here and have said they'd do that all along.  He was great in the playoffs as I have acknowledged, but he simply does not play to that level on a consistent basis.  Backup QB who can start for some teams.

I agree here and have said they'd do that all along.  He was great in the playoffs as I have acknowledged, but he simply does not play to that level on a consistent basis.  Backup QB who can start for some teams.

A guy who is always good in the playoffs should be starting for a lot of teams. Have you read about the Fisher offensive system? It was ridiculous. It hurt Foles's career, and it may have destroyed Goff's if it had persisted.

Edited by dave mcbride

A guy who is always good in the playoffs should be starting for a lot of teams. Have you read about the Fisher offensive system? It was ridiculous. It hurt Foles's career, and it may have destroyed Goff's.

We know offense has never been Fisher's forte.  Foles is mercurial beyond his Fisher experience and Goff is in good hand with McVay.