I'm keeping #22

6 minutes ago, Wagon Circler said:

This deserves a separate thread.

Proposed topics:

Daboll is clueless:

Kim is cheap;

5 out of first seven are on the road. The league farked us!

Beane gave up too much to move up;

Beane didn't move up and farked us.

Who was your favorite RG in history and why

Need to use as many 2018 picks as it takes to go get your QB. Likely 12, 22, two seconds. You keep your 2019 first and second which will likely be a top 10 pick, maybe top 5. Insert QB-needy team that needs to trade up and get their guy next year, and we trade down with them since we already have our guy, obtaining another first and or second rounder. In 2019, we then have a lot of cap space, some talented (hopefully impact starters) from draft and we are ready to compete.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nope.......7-8 years from now the QB's will pretty much be the only valuable talent left from this draft.

Get the best QB and build around him fro the next 15-18 years.

And contrary to what K-9 says this is not a very good draft.    

70 starters?  Sure......but the talent is highly skewed to devalued positions like RB, G, C and LB...........positions that are reasonably priced in almost any given FA class.

Next years draft has a lot more "money" players........generally just a lot more guys that impact the passing game.

Passing on a chance to get a Sam Darnold to get a LB?   Really? :lol:

Not according to the people I talk to. 

But just to be clear, I'm not advocating they keep 22 at the expense of going up and getting their QB. It would be stupid to make that a show stopper; that's the reason we acquired the extra pick to begin with. But if a team is willing to take next year's 1 instead of 22 this year (and I doubt there is), then we should do that. 

RJ White on CBS Sports had the Bills trading No. 12, No. 96, and the 2019 1st for No. 4 overall. He had us taking Baker Mayfield and keeping No. 22. There is a lot of talk about the Browns wanting to offload some of the draft capital from this year since they wouldn't be able to afford the contracts at the 5th year option.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/seven-round-nfl-mock-draft-21-trades-256-picks-and-draft-class-analysis-for-all-32-teams/

Just now, K-9 said:

Not according to the people I talk to. 

But just to be clear, I'm not advocating they keep 22 at the expense of going up and getting their QB. It would be stupid to make that a show stopper; that's the reason we acquired the extra pick to begin with. But if a team is willing to take next year's 1 instead of 22 this year (and I doubt there is), then we should do that. 

Like I said.......too many RB's, guards, centers and LB's forced into the early rounds due to not enough pass rushers, OT's and WR's...........the money positions......follow the money.

This draft is all about the QB's.    

The Bills can go out and buy RB's, guards and LB's on the cheap with their $100M in cap space in each of the coming seasons............but if they have to trade that 2019 #1 to get to your QB.......they may even find the epic 2019 DL draft class might lead to Khalil Mack becoming available in FA.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nope.......7-8 years from now the QB's will pretty much be the only valuable talent left from this draft.

70 starters?  Sure......but the talent is highly skewed to devalued positions like RB, G, C and LB...........positions that are reasonably priced in almost any given FA class.

Next years draft has a lot more "money" players........generally just a lot more guys that impact the passing game.

And a high-motor lunch-pail LB at that. Really? :lol:

8 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

RJ White on CBS Sports had the Bills trading No. 12, No. 96, and the 2019 1st for No. 4 overall. He had us taking Baker Mayfield and keeping No. 22. There is a lot of talk about the Browns wanting to offload some of the draft capital from this year since they wouldn't be able to afford the contracts at the 5th year option.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/seven-round-nfl-mock-draft-21-trades-256-picks-and-draft-class-analysis-for-all-32-teams/

This is the most under-mentioned aspect of all the draft pick accumulation..........contracts are essentially 4 year deals now and 5th year option decisions have to be made after year 3.  

I think the Bills have been wise investing in lower-middle class vets in FA..........these guys are trained professionals.

If you get lucky you pick up a Micah Hyde and a Jordan Poyer JUST as they are becoming exceptional players.   It's hard to envision classes with 10 or more draft picks being efficient.   You just don't get enough time to train these players any longer.

Get star players at money positions in the draft..........take chances there........use FA to fill around them. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Like I said.......too many RB's, guards, centers and LB's forced into the early rounds due to not enough pass rushers, OT's and WR's...........the money positions......follow the money.

This draft is all about the QB's.    

The Bills can go out and buy RB's, guards and LB's on the cheap with their $100M in cap space in each of the coming seasons............but if they have to trade that 2019 #1 to get to your QB.......they may even find the epic 2019 DL draft class might lead to Khalil Mack becoming available in FA.

Yes, the draft is deeper in "non impact" positions, but that doesn't matter when it comes to rating players. I'll leave it at that. 

Like you said, this draft is all about QBs . And that will force other positions to drop, which is just one reason why #22 this year is more valuable than a non-rated future #1 pick next year. 

And many of us agree with you as we've been saying for months that the cap space created for next year affords us the ability to sign players to fill holes, at both impact and non impact positions. And that is going to make it far easier to deal with the loss of a first round pick next year if it comes to that. 

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Now we are going to have this savior potentially 18 years?  How?  If somebody such as Rosen hates it here he will gone after his franchise tag year at the latest.  Devalued positions are a concept created by a blowhole sports media.  You know how you get RB, G, C, and LB even cheaper than FA?  Get them through the draft!  Take center for example.  You want to know why they are priced "reasonably" on the FA market?  It's because very few quality centers hit the market.  If grades and evaluation supported it then, yes, I would seriously think about LB if it clearly has a much greater probability of upgrading the team versus QB.  People act like QB's will never be made after 2018 and that is just not true.  

TRADES
TRADE PARTNER:
INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
SENT:
ROUND: 1 PICK: 12
ROUND: 2 PICK: 24
ROUND: 3 PICK: 1
RECEIVED:
ROUND: 1 PICK: 6

6: R1P6  
QB JOSH ROSEN - UCLA
22: R1P22  
LB RASHAAN EVANS - ALABAMA
53: R2P21  
WR D.J. CHARK - LSU
96: R3P32
EDGE UCHENNA NWOSU - USC
121: R4P21  
DL JUSTIN JONES - NC STATE
166: R5P29
C SCOTT QUESSENBERRY - UCLA
187: R6P13  
LB DORIAN ODANIEL - CLEMSON

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Now we are going to have this savior potentially 18 years?  How?  If somebody such as Rosen hates it here he will gone after his franchise tag year at the latest.  Devalued positions are a concept created by a blowhole sports media.  You know how you get RB, G, C, and LB even cheaper than FA?  Get them through the draft!  Take center for example.  You want to know why they are priced "reasonably" on the FA market?  It's because very few quality centers hit the market.  If grades and evaluation supported it then, yes, I would seriously think about LB if it clearly has a much greater probability of upgrading the team versus QB.  People act like QB's will never be made after 2018 and that is just not true.  

No offense but that's just a bad take.

Phil Rivers, Eli and Big Ben played half their careers in a league where you could still kill shot a QB in certain situations.........and they are entering years 15 and no retirement announcements pending........so yeah,  the intention is getting a LONG career out of a QB taken at the top of the draft.    It's reasonable to EXPECT that QB's will continue to have long careers in the league as it evolves.   Guys like old Brady, old Manning and old Favre all showed how epic a highly seasoned, wise vet can be..........they literally had the best years of their careers at points near 40.     This class of QB's is all around 20-22.........the cream will play for A LONG-ASS TIME. 

Good centers don't become available in FA?   How about Alex Mack or Rodney Hudson........arguably the two BEST.    They became available because it's tough for just any team to justify paying a center.     But the Falcons and Raiders don't regret those payments because they had youth at money positions.     That's where you want to be.   Not a team with $30 million tied up in centers and guards and no #1 QB, no #1 WR, no stud pass rusher...........

As for upcoming classes of QB's.......not promising next year and not great the year after.    2021looks good though........has a lot of the same look as this class did when it entered college.   But at that time OTHER TEAMS will again be looking for QB's.    Kicking it down the road is short-sighted.......it just is.   We should know this.

56 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No offense but that's just a bad take.

Phil Rivers, Eli and Big Ben played half their careers in a league where you could still kill shot a QB in certain situations.........and they are entering years 15 and no retirement announcements pending........so yeah,  the intention is getting a LONG career out of a QB taken at the top of the draft.    It's reasonable to EXPECT that QB's will continue to have long careers in the league as it evolves.   Guys like old Brady, old Manning and old Favre all showed how epic a highly seasoned, wise vet can be..........they literally had the best years of their careers at points near 40.     This class of QB's is all around 20-22.........the cream will play for A LONG-ASS TIME. 

Good centers don't become available in FA?   How about Alex Mack or Rodney Hudson........arguably the two BEST.    They became available because it's tough for just any team to justify paying a center.     But the Falcons and Raiders don't regret those payments because they had youth at money positions.     That's where you want to be.   Not a team with $30 million tied up in centers and guards and no #1 QB, no #1 WR, no stud pass rusher...........

As for upcoming classes of QB's.......not promising next year and not great the year after.    2021looks good though........has a lot of the same look as this class did when it entered college.   But at that time OTHER TEAMS will again be looking for QB's.    Kicking it down the road is short-sighted.......it just is.   We should know this.

What do Rivers, E. Manning, and Big Ben have to do with keeping a QB under contract in Buffalo once the rookie deal, options, and franchise tag run out?  Nothing in my mind.  You can intend to keep the rookie for 18 years but that does not mean it is going to happen.  What kept Manning, Rivers, and Big Ben where they are?  Sun, big market, and a long winning tradition in those instances.  What if health and injuries mean the rookie has pretty well faded in several years?

Please re-read my comments and in particular about centers.  I NEVER said that they NEVER hit the open market.  I said that few make as far as the open market.  When only a couple of high quality position players hit the market over several years that means you can not rely on such a FA when you need him.  Youth at money positions is timing and Buffalo is on its own time table so what the contracts are for current players is what it is.   Can't worry about the Falcons or Raiders.  You know the best way not to have 30M tied up in centers and guards?  Get them through the draft!

2021?  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you actually have seen these QB's but that is not the sum of what is going on.  You do know that QB's can be traded for and that teams may have cap concerns such as they might welcome unloading a QB due to having more than one proven QB and have a shot of getting players coming in on rookie deals.

2 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Right. I hope we can hang onto 53, 56 and 65 though. If they want more than 12 and 22 I hope we offer them a 3rd in 2019.

I think top 10 is a distinct possibility for the Bills' pick next year.  There are a lot of glaring holes on this team.  If they trade several high picks to move up this year (like 12, & 22 and next year's first) to get a QB, then you have either McCarron or a rookie QB starting with little or no experience AND you still have a lot of holes, a few filled with 53, 56, 65 this year, but those are still rookies.

I think 6 wins +/-1 is about right for what to expect this season.  

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

12, 56, & 65 is a pretty respectable offer for 6.

Given what the Jets gave up to go from 6 to 3, I think your offer looks low.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think top 10 is a distinct possibility for the Bills' pick next year.  There are a lot of glaring holes on this team.  If they trade several high picks to move up this year (like 12, & 22 and next year's first) to get a QB, then you have either McCarron or a rookie QB starting with little or no experience AND you still have a lot of holes, a few filled with 53, 56, 65 this year, but those are still rookies.

I think 6 wins +/-1 is about right for what to expect this season.  

That is Jets fan thinking. To be honest, I have watched the Bill's over the past couple of seasons and knew that you guys were getting your stuff together. Wouldn't surprise me if you guys owned the division when Brady left. Good coach and GM in place. I need Bowles to leave and Bates to take over and I will be happy.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bleedingreennc said:

That is Jets fan thinking. To be honest, I have watched the Bill's over the past couple of seasons and knew that you guys were getting your stuff together. Wouldn't surprise me if you guys owned the division when Brady left. Good coach and GM in place. I need Bowles to leave and Bates to take over and I will be happy.

I'm not arguing against trying to get a good QB prospect, just suggesting that this year may be rough because, in the best case, they will be playing a rookie QB and a number of other rookies as well.  In worst case, they will be playing McCarron and a bunch of rookies.  

It would not be horrible if they have a 6 win season while getting a rookie QB and other position players experience, but it would really hurt if they have traded away next year's #1 to see it be a top-10 pick (that is, if they could have traded this year's 22nd and kept next year's #1).

• Like (+1) 1