Greg Cosell Breaks Down Baker Mayfield

19 hours ago, K-9 said:

Very true. Which is why I think he's more of a project for a year or two vs. a day one starter. If he goes to a market like New York and is forced to play from the get-go, he's gonna get roasted by the media and fans. It will be worse than Johnny Football's fall from grace in Cleveland in terms of the fans' patience. If he can go there and hold a clipboard while working on his game and learning to become a pro, I think he can flourish there. 

This highlights my personal concern about Mayfield.  I understand in his life to date he has successfully used negativity as motivation.

But I'm not sure he knows how to tune negativity out and stay internally motivated with "You do You".

Too much negativity can overwhelm anyone.

10 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Your welcome. For what it's worth (probably not much) I don't think Jackson is out of the discussion as a pocket passer and therefore someone who might interest Beane. Right now the only throw he makes on a consistently accurate basis is the inside slant. He can make all other required throws but his accuracy is inconsistent, especially on out patterns. Some analysts are of the view that his flaws re lower body mechanics are very correctable. Beane's moves can be interpreted as a gigantic Lamar smokescreen ie don't bring him in, move to 12 to leap frog Zona, feign interest in moving up etc...but obviously that's a real stretch. I actually think they may be more intrigued with Allen than with Lamar.

I view both Allen and Jackson as high-ceiling/higher risk prospects.  Of the two, I would expect McBeane to favor Allen, if it should happen that Allen falls.

I just think they're (overly?) impressed with classroom/whiteboard skills and intelligence metrics like the Wonderlic

I don't have any real evidence for this beside rumors that Peterman is a whiteboard wizard and that's why Dennison thought he was ready to start.

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This highlights my personal concern about Mayfield.  I understand in his life to date he has successfully used negativity as motivation.

But I'm not sure he knows how to tune negativity out and stay internally motivated with "You do You".

Too much negativity can overwhelm anyone.

I view both Allen and Jackson as high-ceiling/higher risk prospects.  Of the two, I would expect McBeane to favor Allen, if it should happen that Allen falls.

I just think they're (overly?) impressed with classroom/whiteboard skills and intelligence metrics like the Wonderlic

I don't have any real evidence for this beside rumors that Peterman is a whiteboard wizard and that's why Dennison thought he was ready to start.

From the tape, analyst podcasts and the other usual sources my impression is that Jackson has often demonstrated good field vision, the ability to go thru his progressions, throw with anticipation and at least show an understanding of and a sensitivity to the importance of ball placement (though he does not always execute accordingly). Idk if he came across as dumb before the whiteboard and how that may have struck evaluators. I heard the same report tho. 

My sense of it is that he may very well have all the "football" smarts you need to develop as a NFL QB.

Im sure I'm wrong a lot when it comes to this arcane science but he looks like a terrific prospect to me. But one might expect the Bills to prefer the finished product ie Rosen rather than gambling on Lamar getting there.

JRs at the top of my list.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1