Peter Schrager: somehow, some way, Sam Darnold is a Buffalo Bill

28 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Such a strong RB class and Gettleman is refusing multiple 1st's for CJ Spiller with a mohawk

Giants fans are going to find out a lot about their future and the GM. I wasn't impressed watching him talk yesterday. He strikes me as a guy who is stuck in what he knows mode. If he turns down 3 #1s for one of these guys he's a moron. The only way he should do that is if he wants a QB himself. Of course, the qualifier in all this, he doesn't want to drop down to 12. But, then you don't get three #1s to move to 6.

Edited by horned dogs

On 4/20/2018 at 12:07 PM, Logic said:

Here is one thing I DO Believe: Darnold is #1 on the Bills' board and has been for a long time.

I also believe that the reason the Bills and Giants are waiting to pull the trigger on a trade is that they're waiting to see what the Browns do at 1. If the Browns take Allen, the Bills will trade up to 2 and take Darnold. If the Browns take Darnold at 1, the Bills move on to plan B, which likely involves trading up to the 4-6 range for Rosen or Allen.

I think Darnold screams "Bills DNA" (whatever that means), and they'll do everything they can to get him if possible.

I’m with ya, but I prefer Rosen or Mayfield. Allen too hit or miss, in the game and for a career. 

3 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Spiller would have been much better with a mohawk. Because hair size is important, and it matters.

ask Watkins the Lizard king about hair quality/length/ definition, and it's Samson like powers

Just now, Augie said:

I’m with ya, but I prefer Rosen or Mayfield. Allen too hit or miss, in the game and for a career. 

Rosen or Darnold if you are going for it. after that i have to really think about moving to two.
 Gettleman is no slouch and do not underestimate him.  but he might be stubborn in his thinking as well.

I don't care how good Gettleman thinks Barkley is, taking a RB second overall is poor value. What are they going to do in five years on Barkley's second contract, assuming he's still around? Are they going to back up the Brinks truck for a RB? Look at the Le'Veon Bell situation in Pittsburgh. As great as he is, the Steelers are gagging at the thought of paying a RB the kind of money that Bell wants. Gettleman is too "old school" for his own good. Thank God he's not the Bills' GM. There are some potential "franchise" RBs who will be available later on and the Giants could grab one of them and really shore up their roster with a slew of high picks. What do they have after the trade for their punter...something like five picks? They could even grab a QB late first or early second round with the extra picks they'll gain by moving down. Trading out of two is a no brainer unless you're grabbing your future franchise QB and I really don't think they're taking a QB at two overall.. They appear to be in "win now mode" but they're more than a Barkley away and just watch Odell implode if they build their offense around Saquon. Whatever he does, Gettleman better get it right or their fans will eat him alive.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Personally, I agree with you. I want nothing to do with Allen. I'm only stating what I think the Bills would do in this situation. I've decided that I think it's more likely that McBeane likes Allen than Mayfield. Just a hunch.  

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Personally, I agree with you. I want nothing to do with Allen. I'm only stating what I think the Bills would do in this situation. I've decided that I think it's more likely that McBeane likes Allen than Mayfield. Just a hunch.  

My order is not particularly popular with this board:  I like Darnold, Allen, Mayfield, Rosen, but I like all four.  My worry is the Giants decide to pick a qb and we are left scrambling for whoever is left after the Jets' choice. 

5 hours ago, zevo said:

I was listening to WGR today and they were playing back a podcast with Eric Galko from optimum scouting and he said he knows the bills have offered 3 first round picks to get into the top 5 and it hasn’t been enough....he seemed pretty damn sure of it....and if thats the case if I’m beane i just sit back and see how the top 5 play out.

If we're trying to move up to #1 or #2, it's definitely going to cost more than our 2 1sts this year and one next year. The math for the Jimmy Johnson chart says we'd have to throw in a 2nd and maybe a 3rd this year, too.

And as long as we still keep one of those 2nds and one of those 3rds, it'd be worth trading those other picks if we land our QB for the next 15 years.

7 hours ago, SoTier said:

You are totally missing my point.  I'm  not talking about whether schools produce QBs frequently or not, but how much hype -- publicity intended to boost a QB's draft stock -- the QBs from some schools get compared to other schools.  Would Darnold be as highly regarded if he played for Miami of Ohio or Wisconsin or Boston College? IMO, I don't think he would be, but as I noted, he was being mentioned as a likely #1 pick as early as 2016.

Judging by the last pro-ready QB who played at Miami U, I'm guessing there would be just as much draft buzz about Darnold.   Isn't your point kind of invalidated by the fact that the top QB on many draft lists comes from a school that's never had a QB start an NFL game? 

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I wish it were Thursday already.

This is the worst draft I can ever remember as far as pure anxiety goes because EVERYONE knows what position our first pick will be, which just happens to be the most important position in sports.

But no one knows exactly who it will be.

I'm not convinced that the Bills first pick will be a QB, though I absolutely believe it should be. That's giving me major anxiety about this draft. 

We probably would have been better off sanity wise, if we went back to the times of getting our draft info from Bills magazine, Shout! magazine, and the Buffalo Newspaper.

Edited by PIZ

14 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I'm not convinced that the Bills first pick will be a QB, though I absolutely believe it should be. That's giving me major anxiety about this draft. 

I think our 1st pick is a QB because not drafting a guy Beane can legitimately sell as a Franchise QB in this draft will be viewed as extreme failure by almost everyone, and given all his efforts over the last year to pretty clearly jockey himself into position to get that guy, that view would be justified.

So unless all these GMs are in cohoots and know one or two of these guys are falling to the bottom half of the 1st round and Beane knows that and ends up miraculously drafting Mayfield, Rosen or Jackson at 22, I think we’re pretty obviously drafting a QB at 12 or earlier. I’m assuming all of this because I view Beane as a competent to very good GM. That opinion changes if I’m wrong.

10 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think our 1st pick is a QB because not drafting a guy Beane can legitimately sell as a Franchise QB in this draft will be viewed as extreme failure by almost everyone, and given all his efforts over the last year to pretty clearly jockey himself into position to get that guy, that view would be justified.

So unless all these GMs are in cohoots and know one or two of these guys are falling to the bottom half of the 1st round and Beane knows that and ends up miraculously drafting Mayfield, Rosen or Jackson at 22, I think we’re pretty obviously drafting a QB at 12 or earlier. I’m assuming all of this because I view Beane as a competent to very good GM. That opinion changes if I’m wrong.

It's quite possible the Bills don't have these QBs ranked the same as many fans do. It's also possible they get shut out of moving up for one of the top 4. They could take say, a LB at 12. Then take Jackson or even Rudolph at 22. This will be viewed as a failure by many fans, who don't see those players as " franchise" type QBs. I don't think the Bills will pay the price to move up for less than one of their top 2 ranked QBs, so I'm not convinced the first pick ( wherever it is) will be a QB. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 4/20/2018 at 9:19 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Darnold was originally recruited as a LB.

Play him both ways.

I agree. And throw in an extra 50 bucks a week and a new car if he does it. Gotta show the fellas we appreciate them.

The Bills talent is too thin to give away the house to move up. I see Rosen,mayfield and darnold and very similar .AThey need to sit back and put win the game of chicken.

12 and 22 and next yrs first (not to mention other picks) is too high a price for any of these guys. Make the higher up drafters come to us.Every one of them wants to get xtra picks from us and still get the same damn player they wanted all along.

12 hours ago, Tcali said:

I agree. And throw in an extra 50 bucks a week and a new car if he does it. Gotta show the fellas we appreciate them.

The Bills talent is too thin to give away the house to move up. I see Rosen,mayfield and darnold and very similar .AThey need to sit back and put win the game of chicken.

12 and 22 and next yrs first (not to mention other picks) is too high a price for any of these guys. Make the higher up drafters come to us.Every one of them wants to get xtra picks from us and still get the same damn player they wanted all along.

How much thinner in talent are we than last year, when we made the playoffs for the first time in 18 years? Yeah, we could obviously improve on talent, but our talent last year made the playoffs.

Yes, we had some losses. Incognito is a loss, he's also a headache.

Wood was a loss, but rumblings are that Groy will be an upgrade.

Tolbert was an addition by subtraction. Thank God his reps can go to someone who can actually gain positive yardage as an RB, whether that's Cadet or whoever.

TEs are the same.

WRs will be better with a healthy Benjamin, Jones hopefully making big strides after his rookie yips, and young guys like Reilly, Streater and Dupree who I'm excited to see get a shot.

Tackles are the same guys we had last year.

DLs are better with Star in the mix.

DEs are the same.

We need an MLB. Biggest need next to QB. Still not nearly as important.

CBs look about the same as last year, maybe better.

Safeties, last time I checked, are still Hyde and Poyer. We're good there.

Where are all these holes people are talking about that seem to be all over the place and sinking us into being one of the worst teams in the league?

Right now, we look like virtually the same team as last year with 3 huge question marks:

Franchise QB.

Guard/Center 

MLB

If you could choose to have the #1 or #2 player in this draft at only one of those positions but, at best, the 4th or 5th best player from the other 2, which position do you choose?

Some of you act like we can't still get other good players if we traded up for a QB.

Folks, we have 2 1sts, 2 2nds, 2 3rds, 1 4th, 1 5th, and 1 6th round pick. And if we traded away next year's 1st, we can counterbalance that with having tons of Cap space and a promising young Franchise QB, whether Darnold or Rosen or Mayfield (all 3 of whom we'll have to trade up for, anyway), to lure Free Agents in.

We're fiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnneee :thumbsup:

Edited by transplantbillsfan