Peter Schrager: somehow, some way, Sam Darnold is a Buffalo Bill

8 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I have never been as all-in on a prospect as I am with Mayfield - I am completely convinced he’s bound for a hall of fame career - he reminds me so much of Favre.

Darnold may be a good as well, but I just can’t get excited for drafting any of these other guys with Baker an option.  And the thought of him ending up in the division is just too much...

That's how I feel about Rosen. It very well could go Allen at 1 then Darnold. But Mayfield and Rosen are most likely to be the best of the draft. If we are the ones picking Darnold at 2 we are going to be kicking ourselves possibly for the rest of our lives knowing we could have picked one of those other guys! I just hope Rosen goes to a team I don't care about like Arizona so it doesn't get rubbed in our faces for years and years if we pass on him. Not only pass on him but trade up and give up extra picks and go out of our way to pass on him! Now that will hurt

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I suggest you list all of the great UCLA qbs not named Troy Aikman. And all of the great Oklahoma QBs. I did research on this, and the only two schools that stand out since the 1970 merger are Stanford and to a lesser extent Cal. 

Aikman attended UCLA not USC, which was the team I referenced, and USC gets much more hype than UCLA.

More to the point, I specifically referenced the hype that's been a hallmark of USC QBs in "recent years, which 1989 certainly is not, and how USC QBs have not lived up to their hype when they got to the NFL.  Palmer, Leinart, and Sanchez were all supposed to be "can't miss" prospects, at least according to their fans, but only Palmer had a decent NFL career.  The hype surrounding Darnold has been even worse than the hype spewed out for Leinart and Sanchez ... and his flaws -- too many INTs and fumbles and poor mechanics -- are among the most  frequent problems of QBs who fail to transition from college to the NFL.

Edited by SoTier

11 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

So now that there are these rumors, we are all going to start hating Sam Darnold now? Ginger USC quarterbacks never succeed! But he does believe in Jesus...how much money did his parents make last year? 

Some fans have a distinct fear of success...I guess they don't want to be let down? 

Some fans understand that it's hard to have success consistently when you have a QB who gives the ball away too often.

5 hours ago, SoTier said:

Aikman attended UCLA not USC, which was the team I referenced, and USC gets much more hype than UCLA.

More to the point, I specifically referenced the hype that's been a hallmark of USC QBs in "recent years, which 1989 certainly is not, and how USC QBs have not lived up to their hype when they got to the NFL.  Palmer, Leinart, and Sanchez were all supposed to be "can't miss" prospects, at least according to their fans, but only Palmer had a decent NFL career.  The hype surrounding Darnold has been even worse than the hype spewed out for Leinart and Sanchez ... and his flaws -- too many INTs and fumbles and poor mechanics -- are among the most  frequent problems of QBs who fail to transition from college to the NFL.

Ok then. Let's look at all of the Florida, Florida State, Notre Dame, Texas, Tennessee, Alabama, Miami, Penn State, LSU,  and Michigan QBs since 1970 who really made it at the NFL level. They are storied programs, and they all generally produced one great qb max.  Where Darnold went to school is MEANINGLESS.  It is a truly weak inference.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Ok then. Let's look at all of the Florida, Florida State, Notre Dame, Texas, Tennessee, Alabama, Miami, Penn State, LSU,  and Michigan QBs since 1970 who really made it at the NFL level. They are storied programs, and they all generally produced one great qb max.  Where Darnold went to school is MEANINGLESS.  It is a truly weak inference.

You are totally missing my point.  I'm  not talking about whether schools produce QBs frequently or not, but how much hype -- publicity intended to boost a QB's draft stock -- the QBs from some schools get compared to other schools.  Would Darnold be as highly regarded if he played for Miami of Ohio or Wisconsin or Boston College? IMO, I don't think he would be, but as I noted, he was being mentioned as a likely #1 pick as early as 2016.

I was listening to WGR today and they were playing back a podcast with Eric Galko from optimum scouting and he said he knows the bills have offered 3 first round picks to get into the top 5 and it hasn’t been enough....he seemed pretty damn sure of it....and if thats the case if I’m beane i just sit back and see how the top 5 play out.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

You are totally missing my point.  I'm  not talking about whether schools produce QBs frequently or not, but how much hype -- publicity intended to boost a QB's draft stock -- the QBs from some schools get compared to other schools.  Would Darnold be as highly regarded if he played for Miami of Ohio or Wisconsin or Boston College? IMO, I don't think he would be, but as I noted, he was being mentioned as a likely #1 pick as early as 2016.

It's an interesting counterfactual. I will say that I've watched a ton of his tape over the past month and I get it - he is a hell of a prospect and has elite pocket presence. I actually think that he would be a highly regarded prospect regardless of USC. Don't forget he'd have better stats in those conferences as well. I would be over the moon if we got him.

9 minutes ago, zevo said:

I was listening to WGR today and they were playing back a podcast with Eric Galko from optimum scouting and he said he knows the bills have offered 3 first round picks to get into the top 5 and it hasn’t been enough....he seemed pretty damn sure of it....and if thats the case if I’m beane i just sit back and see how the top 5 play out.

I think that was to get to #2. I didn’t hear the whole segment but I saw Galko say last week that he knows the Bills have offered many many times to get to 2, and Gettleman won’t move. Yet.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, zevo said:

Jesus, if that's true then just go for 6. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, zevo said:

Oof. I've long thought it'll take three 1sts but I hadn't heard that we'd offered them. 

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Gettleman better get one hell of a player at 2. Because everyone will know he essentially paid 3 1st rd picks for him. 

I've addressed this with Giants fans. Most of them prefer the Giants take Chubb. They all said they would take Chubb over the picks... yeah... believe me I know 

19 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

I've addressed this with Giants fans. Most of them prefer the Giants take Chubb. They all said they would take Chubb over the picks... yeah... believe me I know 

Lol. And if Guice is picked 12 or later... along with Marcus Davenport at, say, 22, and they light it up as rookies and he could have had them AND the Bills 1st rounder next year and Chubb has like 3 sacks. Ask them then!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Lol. And if Guice is picked 12 or later... along with Marcus Davenport at, say, 22, and they light it up as rookies and he could have had them AND the Bills 1st rounder next year and Chubb has like 3 sacks. Ask them then!

Believe me, I have played out scenarios, however in the same way Sal C. had kind of alluded to the media "poisoning the water" with Josh Allen... they may have painted a picture of immense hope in players like Chubb and Barkley.

You would think you were going to land Bruce Smith or Gale Sayers.

3 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Such a strong RB class and Gettleman is refusing multiple 1st's for CJ Spiller with a mohawk

I wonder how many NFL teams feel this way?

• Like (+1) 1