Browns at 2

1 hour ago, Skins Malone said:

Not sure if this has been discussed here but what about the Browns moving up to grab the second pick.  I havent heard anyone on the sports shows discuss but i think its possible it could happen.

The browns have the most draft stock.  So they take Darnold at one...i dont think its ridiculous to think that they could then swap picks with the giants.  The Browns could then grab Darnold and the "best player" in the draft in Barkley.  The giants now get some picks and only have to move to 4.  Which means they could grab a top QB or Bradley.

I dont think it shakes out that way..but i think its certainly possible enough to warrant discussion.

What do you guys think?

I know that I have heard that if the Browns actually use all of their draft capital they would not be able to afford the contracts in the future. I can't imagine it would take much to move from four to two if they really wanted to get it done.

19 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

There are many possible scenarios in picks 1-6... 

With a Browns trade, we could see QBs go 1-2-3-4 completely unprecedented, but it could happen. 

Here's a scenario we have not explored yet.....Barkley and Chubb going in the top #2. Browns could see the top 3 QB prospects as the same and be fine with whoever is available at #4. 

That could make for quite an interesting trade market. 

Another fine example.   

To be honest, I know very little about the QBs and NOTHING about anyone else.   Don't know who Chubb is, where's he's from or what position he plays.   I at least can answer those questions about Barkely, but nothing beyond that.    I just can't get interested.   It's enough to know there are possibly four and maybe more good QBs in this draft, along with the usual two or three super-studs at other positions, guys who would be going 1-2-3 if EJ Manuel were the best QB in the draft.   

In that kind of a draft, you're going to see exactly what we've seen and will continue to see.   Moves to get into position, and speculation about a lot of other moves.   The Bills, beginning with the Chiefs deal last season, have put themselves in the mix.   The Jets made a great move to 3.  The Browns, of course, set themselves up beautifully.   The Giants have a tough decision to make.   Broncos seem to me to be a big wildcard.   

For fans whose teams are in the mix, is interesting, crazy, fascinating and fun.  

5 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

I know that I have heard that if the Browns actually use all of their draft capital they would not be able to afford the contracts in the future. I can't imagine it would take much to move from four to two if they really wanted to get it done.

Now that's a really interesting point.    If the Browns win big with their two first-round picks, their cap situation in four years gets very complicated.   They'll have a $30 million QB and a $20 million running back to deal with.   

It would make no sense. Giants want Barkley. Why would they trade down and let Browns take him? Plus browns would have to give up a major asset to trade up. Not to mention Barkley's camp doesn't want him to play for Cleveland. Anything is possible but there's about a 0.1% chance of this happening

Edited by kdiggz

Not sure if this has been discussed here but what about the Browns moving up to grab the second pick.  I havent heard anyone on the sports shows discuss but i think its possible it could happen.

The browns have the most draft stock.  So they take Darnold at one...i dont think its ridiculous to think that they could then swap picks with the giants.  The Browns could then grab Darnold and the "best player" in the draft in Barkley.  The giants now get some picks and only have to move to 4.  Which means they could grab a top QB or Bradley.

I dont think it shakes out that way..but i think its certainly possible enough to warrant discussion.

What do you guys think?

If Giants want a QB why would they move to 4 ? When you got Jets sitting @ 3 ! 

13 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

For fans whose teams are in the mix, is interesting, crazy, fascinating and fun.  

Now that's a really interesting point.    If the Browns win big with their two first-round picks, their cap situation in four years gets very complicated.   They'll have a $30 million QB and a $20 million running back to deal with.   

Those are the types of problems Brown's fans would love to have.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

It would make no sense. Giants want Barkley. Why would they trade down and let Browns take him? Plus browns would have to give up a major asset to trade up. Not to mention Barkley's camp doesn't want him to play for Cleveland. Anything is possible but there's about a 0.1% chance of this happening

Browns take Barkely at 1.  If Giants don't want a QB they don't need to stay at 2.  They can go to 4 and still get the guy they would have taken at 2.  

16 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Another fine example.   

To be honest, I know very little about the QBs and NOTHING about anyone else.   Don't know who Chubb is, where's he's from or what position he plays.   I at least can answer those questions about Barkely, but nothing beyond that.    I just can't get interested.   It's enough to know there are possibly four and maybe more good QBs in this draft, along with the usual two or three super-studs at other positions, guys who would be going 1-2-3 if EJ Manuel were the best QB in the draft.   

In that kind of a draft, you're going to see exactly what we've seen and will continue to see.   Moves to get into position, and speculation about a lot of other moves.   The Bills, beginning with the Chiefs deal last season, have put themselves in the mix.   The Jets made a great move to 3.  The Browns, of course, set themselves up beautifully.   The Giants have a tough decision to make.   Broncos seem to me to be a big wildcard.   

That's not how it works though. The 4th year option is based on the 10 highest salaries at your position,  not by draft slot.  The QB would garner a ton of money but I doubt Barkley would be $20 million. Either way, that 4 years of great play to figure it out.

8 minutes ago, Putin said:

If Giants want a QB why would they move to 4 ? When you got Jets sitting @ 3 ! 

True.  But if they don't a QB, they can move to 4, pick up a draft pick and still get the guy they want. 

Just now, cle23 said:

That's not how it works though. The 4th year option is based on the 10 highest salaries at your position,  not by draft slot.  The QB would garner a ton of money but I doubt Barkley would be $20 million. Either way, that 4 years of great play to figure it out.

Okay, fifth year.   The point is that both picks become free agents about the same time, and if you've hit big on them, you'll have to invest a lot of money to keep them, whenever it happens.   

Doesn't mean you don't do it, because, as you say, you've had them for 4-5 years, and that's as much of a run as you can expect to have in the league.   Look at the Seahawks.   

21 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Browns won one game in 2 seasons and they are to worry about the cap? 

If they get their QB at #1, my plan if I was them take Barkley at 4 if they can get him there.  I wouldn't even think about trading out

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Browns take Barkely at 1.  If Giants don't want a QB they don't need to stay at 2.  They can go to 4 and still get the guy they would have taken at 2.  

They won't they need a QB. They can't chance anyone trading up before they pick at 4 and taking their guy.

What do you guys think?

I doubt the Browns do, but I'm all in on thinking the Jets may move to 2. They're already all in on QB this year and wouldn't cost them much more to make sure someone else doesn't jump them.

2 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

They won't they need a QB. They can't chance anyone trading up before they pick at 4 and taking their guy.

First, we don't know they'll take a QB.   If they were desperate for a QB, there wouldn't be all this talk about them taking Barkely.   

And it really depends, as it does with every team, how they evaluate the QBs.   Would you be happy with the third best QB in the draft?    I think I would be.    So if the Browns take Barkely at 1, the Giants know they can trade back to 4 and get either the third best QB in the draft or the best position player after Barkely, plus maybe the Browns pick at the top of the second round.   

It all depends on what and who is important to the Giants.  

4 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I doubt the Browns do, but I'm all in on thinking the Jets may move to 2. They're already all in on QB this year and wouldn't cost them much more to make sure someone else doesn't jump them.

Another possible scenario.   Jets would hate it if the Bills somehow moved to 2 and took their guy.  

Of course, if the Giants want a QB, it's all moot.   Then three QBs will go off the board in the first four picks, and the Bills may be looking at their 4th choice before they have a chance to do anything.   

Thanks for the responses.  This actually turned into a good discussion.  It was locked my a mod for some reason then unlocked after i messaged him.  Anyway, like many said so many crazy things can happen it makes talking about all this stuff so much fun.

I know many think this is a ridiculous scenario but i would not be surprised if the browns have at least discussed the possibility no matter how unlikely.  I was just thinking about the draft today and i was like i wonder if this could actually happen.  Wanted to see what you guys thoughts.

Thanks for the posts.  

3 hours ago, Skins Malone said:

What do you guys think?

It could happen I just don't like the move for the Browns, just let the chips fall where they may, they have a ton of picks, they'll get 2 stud players at 1 +4 , no need to move up imo. Get your QB and you will either get RB Saquan Barkley, Edge Rusher Bradley Chubb, star corner Mincah Fitzpatrick or mauling G Quentin Nelson, all of them would add an awesome presence to a team I feel is on the rise after many.many terrible years.

19 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

It could happen I just don't like the move for the Browns, just let the chips fall where they may, they have a ton of picks, they'll get 2 stud players at 1 +4 , no need to move up imo. Get your QB and you will either get RB Saquan Barkley, Edge Rusher Bradley Chubb, star corner Mincah Fitzpatrick or mauling G Quentin Nelson, all of them would add an awesome presence to a team I feel is on the rise after many.many terrible years.

I agree.  For the sake of browns fans i hope the team starts to turn the corner.  They are right up there with the Bills for teams that just havent been able to get it going.  Hopefully we are both on the rise in the near future.

Edited by Skins Malone