Pats; 5 prime time games in 7 weeks???

5 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

The networks are doing this for one reason. They are scared to death because ratings are dropping. Like some have said, this could backfire.

If true then it shows how out of touch they are with their fanbase.  I avoid watching cheater games like the plague.  

5 hours ago, MJS said:

That's what you get when you win and have a guy like Tom Brady.

I am too young to remember the super bowl years. Did the Bills get their fair share of prime time games then? Curious.

The Bills were getting three prime timers a year back in the SB days. A lot of those were at home.

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

When I was a kid back in the 1800's there was only MNF.  It seemed that no one but the Cowboys got more than one MNF game a year.

When I was a kid (in the 70's) there were  3 games on TV on Sunday and quite frequently the Bills were not one of them.  Rich Stadium (back then) had a seating capacity of just over 80,000 and blackouts outnumbered sellouts.  I remember staying up until halftime of the Monday night game to watch Howard Cosell go through the highlights of Sunday's games.  I think the whole segment lasted about 2 minutes maybe but that was the only way you got to see what was going on around the league.

I'm sure there are many other posters on this board that remember those days.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Here's hoping Brady and Gronk retire and the NFL is having five Brian Hoyer prime time games.

Nah, if that happened the league would step in and immediately give the Pat's 2 comp picks for this years draft, both at the beginning of the first round.....

Well, they are the AFC champs.  When you win, you're exposed to the nation quite a bit more.  What I don't understand is the love-fest with the #@$! Cowboys.  They were 9-7, no playoffs last year and 5 prime time games??

4 minutes ago, sir andrew said:

Well, they are the AFC champs.  When you win, you're exposed to the nation quite a bit more.  What I don't understand is the love-fest with the #@$! Cowboys.  They were 9-7, no playoffs last year and 5 prime time games??

It's quite simple. They have a HUGE national fan following. Probably as big as any fan base out there. it's simple economics, really....  Many of these teams' fan bases are regional. Cleveland? Cincinnati? New Orleans? Carolina? Atlanta? Tampa Bay? Jacksonville? The list could go on... but many of these teams only have a good following regionally, but NOT nationally. How many Jaguars fans do you know, vs. how many Cowboys fans do you know in your area?

It's all about ratings and how many people you can get to turn it on and watch. 

EDIT: I'm not defending the Cowboys. I effing DESPISE them almost as much as the Pats*. Just pointing out why they get the primetime games.

Edited by CLTbills

8 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

In the 7 weeks between Sept 23rd and Nov 4th, the Pats have 5 prime time games, and the league wonders why TV ratings are down?  I don't think you have to be a Bills fan or an AFC East fan to have a major case of Patriot's Fatigue.  I think this will backfire on the league.  I hope it does.

Enough already...

that's nothing compared to the Cowboys showcase status, even with a bad team