Bills Go 7-9 this Season

16 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Or so say the wizards at Bleacher Report

Buffalo Bills

The football gods finally smiled upon the Bills, allowing them to make the playoffs for the first time since the 1999 season. A repeat appearance likely isn't in the cards this year, though. AJ McCarron is not an upgrade over Tyrod Taylor at quarterback, and the offensive line remains in flux. LeSean McCoy turns 30 in July, while the team's leading tackler, Preston Brown, signed with the Bengals in free agency. The schedule-makers didn't do the Bills any favors, either, by placing the Chargers, Vikings, Packers and Titans—all of whom are playoff contendersin Weeks 2-5. 

Prediction: 7-9

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2771167-2018-nfl-schedule-win-loss-predictions-for-every-team

Last year,they had us pegged for 5-11.

Pretty accurate assessment.

Based off of what we did last year, we were extremely lucky to make the playoffs with a far easier schedule.

Every team gets lucky once in a while and makes the playoffs. The Bills just took longer than most & needed 18 years to get there. 

However, because we had the longest drought in the league, that means all other teams had been there at some point before we had in that stretch. Many of those teams went only once or twice, and did not repeat back to back. They simply lucked out that year, snuck in, and were done.

The Jaguars got in with Byron Leftwich once & David Garrard once in that stretch. They didn't repeat, but they managed to get there once each.
The Bucs got in with Chris Simms & Jeff Garcia once in that stretch. Didn't repeat.
The Redskins got in with Mark Brunell , RGIII once, and Kirk Cousins once in that stretch. Again, no repeats.
The Titans got in with Kerry Collins once. Didn't repeat.

The Browns got in with Kelly Holcomb once. Didn't repeat.

The Bengals got in with Jon Kitna & Carson Palmer once each. Didn't repeat.

The Vikings got in with Brett Favre, Christian Ponder and Teddy Bridgewater once each. None repeated.

The Dolphins got in with Chad Pennington and Matt Moore/Ryan Tannehill once. Neither repeated.

The list goes on & on.... 

All those teams got in that ONE year during our 18 year drought, though none of them ended up going back the following year after that. We just had our one year that we made it...and we made it by squeaking out a 9-7 record against mediocre opponents, playing in a weak AFC, and a miracle of circumstances that went in our favor the last 2 weeks for everything to lineup just right.

To expect us to have an even better record than that with a new, inexperienced QB at starter, a tougher schedule, and the AFC East being stronger by default (Tannehill returning, the Jets drafting a QB, and as always, all teams drafting/FA signings along with us), more holes than ever on defense, etc. it's highly unlikely we hit 9-7 again, and even less likely we go back to the playoffs.

Edited by BigDingus

5 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Pretty accurate assessment.

Based off of what we did last year, we were extremely lucky to make the playoffs with a far easier schedule.

Every team gets lucky once in a while and makes the playoffs. The Bills just took longer than most & needed 18 years to get there. 

However, because we had the longest drought in the league, that means all other teams had been there at some point before we had in that stretch. Many of those teams went only once or twice, and did not repeat back to back. They simply lucked out that year, snuck in, and were done.

The Jaguars got in with Byron Leftwich once & David Garrard once in that stretch. They didn't repeat, but they managed to get there once each.
The Bucs got in with Chris Simms & Jeff Garcia once in that stretch. Didn't repeat.
The Redskins got in with Mark Brunell , RGIII once, and Kirk Cousins once in that stretch. Again, no repeats.
The Titans got in with Kerry Collins once. Didn't repeat.

The Browns got in with Kelly Holcomb once. Didn't repeat.

The Bengals got in with Jon Kitna & Carson Palmer once each. Didn't repeat.

The Vikings got in with Brett Favre, Christian Ponder and Teddy Bridgewater once each. None repeated.

The Dolphins got in with Chad Pennington and Matt Moore/Ryan Tannehill once. Neither repeated.

The list goes on & on.... 

All those teams got in that ONE year during our 18 year drought, though none of them ended up going back the following year after that. We just had our one year that we made it...and we made it by squeaking out a 9-7 record against mediocre opponents, playing in a weak AFC, and a miracle of circumstances that went in our favor the last 2 weeks for everything to lineup just right.

To expect us to have an even better record than that with a new, inexperienced QB at starter, a tougher schedule, and the AFC East being stronger by default (Tannehill returning, the Jets drafting a QB, and as always, all teams drafting/FA signings along with us), more holes than ever on defense, etc. it's highly unlikely we hit 9-7 again, and even less likely we go back to the playoffs.

Wait, us having an inexperienced QB is a negative, but the Jets having one makes them stronger?

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Yeah of course....so is making mock drafts in the fall, but writers will do that.  

From a numbers standpoint you are spot on.  I think we’ll know even more how important/not important Tyrod was the Bills offense after this season

I agree, but don't forget that we'll probably have a great deal more interceptions and other boneheaded plays. Taylor was good at not doing that.

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yikes!

There's no way the AFC East does that bad. Jets, Bills, and Dolphins will be in the 6-9 win range. Especially the Dolphins. They are getting mediocre Tannehil back who is always good for 7 or 8 wins.

22 hours ago, Putin said:

You don’t think AJ M is an upgrade??

Looked at from the POV of offensive production, no.  No I don't.  But if you want to have an argument about it, see other thread.

PS Tyrod averaged 216 ypg, 202 ypg, and this year 186 ypg.  Just saying those 3 years can't average to 160 ypg.

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

I don't know if he is of not. I hope he is. One thing is for certain. He has BIG (playoff) SHOES to fill.

I hope he is too.  And LOL on the playoff shoes!

22 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I honestly (as long as we get our future face of the franchise) am okay with this year being a down year where they figure out who they're going to be followed by spending money to fill gaps and be ready to compete next year like the Eagles and rams did this past year. 

There's a book about business my friend really likes which makes the argument "Good is the Enemy of Great"

Several prongs to that argument, but essentially I think you'd agree with them -

That if you're satisfied to be good, you may never make the scope of changes necessary to strive to be great

If you're afraid to make changes in pursuit of great because you're afraid of falling off, you may also never be great.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, MJS said:

I agree, but don't forget that we'll probably have a great deal more interceptions and other boneheaded plays. Taylor was good at not doing that.

Depends upon who is QBing, what the OL is like, what Daboll's scheme is like - all sorts of unknowns at this point.

If the QB is AJ, you are NOT likely to see a great deal more INTs and boneheaded plays. 

AJ McC is a smart football guy and careful with the football.  He's not a bonehead - not at all.

BUT

He's way more of a pocket passer - are we gonna give him a capable line?

He's not been more productive as a passer than Tyrod was (in his 5 games of 2015, average 209 ypg), and that's throwing to very good receivers - so take away Taylor's running and that may sum to less offensive production overall

OTOH, maybe he won't be the QB, or maybe if he is, Daboll will come up with something that uses his talents to best effect!

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

39 minutes ago, MJS said:

Also a great deal more completions in key situations and other clutch plays.  Taylor was good at not doing that.  There is such a thing as being too safe, and situations where you have to take risks...TT just wouldn't, or couldn't do so.  As I've said before he won't lose you many games, but he won't win you many either.  The ultimate baseline.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That if you're satisfied to be good, you may never make the scope of changes necessary to strive to be great

If you're afraid to make changes in pursuit of great because you're afraid of falling off, you may also never be great.

And sometimes you win 10+ 2 years in a row and make the playoffs. Not good enough so you dump your QB and go on a 17 year drought.  

I hope it works this time (dumping your playoff QB  because he's not good enough) unlike the last time we did that.

6 hours ago, The Red King said:

Wait, us having an inexperienced QB is a negative, but the Jets having one makes them stronger?

I said it would be more difficult with an inexperienced QB. The Jets resigned McCown... or is he suddenly not experienced? 

The Bills have ZERO veterans at the position. Maybe think things through before you quickly try to post a witty retort, disregarding everything else I posted. 

It is pretty clear where the Bills will be.  A decent QB will fall to them either at #12 or with a very modest step up in the draft.  It may not be the guy from Hollywood or one who can cut down a whole corn field in an afternoon.  The new QB for this year doesn't matter very much because AJ will be the QB for the year and the rookie will be holding a clip board and learning but maybe playing a few games late in the year.  The Bills will have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds (2 will go for a QB) and will get 2-3 rookies who will contribute this year.  The present management has shown the ability to plow over the veteran FA and waiver wire players and they will flesh out the roster with adequate to surprisingly good players. (where did our safeties comer from??)   Having cut expensive players will allow them to bring in veteran players with some experience and limited tool-kits-  the coaching state will use the good bits from these players to cobble together  a viable team.  The team will go 9-7 and squeak into the playoffs.   .....................People, please remember that coaching teams for poor teams have a 2-3 year window to show results.  This is the plan they are going with.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

42 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I said it would be more difficult with an inexperienced QB. The Jets resigned McCown... or is he suddenly not experienced? 

The Bills have ZERO veterans at the position. Maybe think things through before you quickly try to post a witty retort, disregarding everything else I posted. 

To quote you directly...

To expect us to have an even better record than that with a new, inexperienced QB at starter...

and

...and the AFC East being stronger by default (Tannehill returning, the Jets drafting a QB, and as always, all teams drafting/FA signings along with us)

I think through my replies very carefully, thank you.  I just found it odd that you list the Bills starting a new, inexperienced QB was listed as a liability for the Bills, while the Jets drafting a QB (who, by definition of 'rookie' will be new and inexperienced) is listed as a strength for the Jets.

Edited by The Red King

On 4/19/2018 at 9:57 PM, hondo in seattle said:

Or so say the wizards at Bleacher Report

Buffalo Bills

The football gods finally smiled upon the Bills, allowing them to make the playoffs for the first time since the 1999 season. A repeat appearance likely isn't in the cards this year, though. AJ McCarron is not an upgrade over Tyrod Taylor at quarterback, and the offensive line remains in flux. LeSean McCoy turns 30 in July, while the team's leading tackler, Preston Brown, signed with the Bengals in free agency. The schedule-makers didn't do the Bills any favors, either, by placing the Chargers, Vikings, Packers and Titans—all of whom are playoff contendersin Weeks 2-5. 

Prediction: 7-9

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2771167-2018-nfl-schedule-win-loss-predictions-for-every-team

I think 7-9 is optimistic, and I'm usually the Pollyanna here 

• Haha (+1) 1