Which Bills GM's Had The Highest Percentage Of Drafting Pro Bowl Talent?

The 2017 NFL Draft is one week away and it's a huge one for us Bills fans.  If you listen to many of the draft pundits evaluating talent, many times you will hear about draft picks becoming "Pro Bowl talent."  Well I researched which Bills GM's were the most successful at drafting Pro Bowl talent and how they compare to GM's from around the league as well. 

Unlike Hits and Misses, I did not discriminate between whether a player made the Pro Bowl on the Bills or with another team.  I also removed any subjectivity about the selection.  I also added the number of drafts that the GM's took part in.  You'll see that drafting Pro Bowl is a lot like a baseball players batting average.  It's much easier to hit .500 with 10 at bats, than it is with 100 etc.   What you find below may surprise you.  The names that you associate failure and success with in terms of drafting, may just surprise you. 

Of course, drafting Pro Bowl players is not the only means of success for a GM or a franchise.  But again, what someone defines as a "good" or "bad" pick is very subjective.  It is very hard to disagree that a player that was selected and made the Pro Bowl was a "bad" pick.

Anyway here's the Bills list:

General Manager

Years as GM

# of Drafts

# of Pro Bowl Players Drafted

Total Draft Picks

Rate of Success

Marv Levy

2006-2007

25%

Tom Donahue

2001-2005

13.9%

Russ Brandon

2008-2009

11.1%

Bill Polian

1986-1991

8.3%

John Butler

1992-2000

6.2%

Buddy Nix

2010-2013

5.7%

Doug Whaley

2014-2016

0.0%

636507873942613125-c03-marv-18.jpg

Where else would you rather be, than #1 on this list!?!?!?!

Now let's see how these numbers compare to the top GM's in the league:

General Manager

Team

Years as GM

# of Drafts

# of Pro Bowl Players Drafted

Total Draft Picks

Rate of Success

Bill Belichick

New England

2000-2017

11.3%

Ozzie Newsome

Baltimore

2002-2017

10.9%

Thomas Dimitroff

Atlanta

2008-2017

9.5%

Kevin Colbert

Pittsburgh

2010-2017

8.9%

Howie Roseman

Philadelphia

2010-2014, 2016

8.9%

David Caldwell

Jacksonville

2013-2017

7.7%

So what are some of the overall takeaways here:

1. it's really hard to consistently draft Pro Bowl players in the draft.

2. The draft is a crapshoot.  You are going to miss quite often, so like baseball it's best to get as many swings as possible.

3. The really good General Managers are usually only to draft a Pro Bowl talent 1 out of every 10 picks.

4. The really bad GM's are only able to draft a Pro Bowl talent 1 out of every 25 picks (or worse)

5. Despite all of the misses from Bill Belichick, he has done a relatively good job of selecting talent over the past two decades.  Ditto for Ozzie Newsome.  

Now the takeaways for the Bills GM's:

1. Surprisingly Tom Modrak (under Marv and Russ) did a fairly decent job of drafting talent (6/32 for 19%).  Though several of his picks made the Pro Bowls on other teams.

2. Tom Donahoe also did a decent job of drafting ands had several strong drafts.

3. Bill Polian did miss quite a bit (as stated on Hits and Misses) but is only 1 of 2 GM's on the list to draft All-Pro talent (Henry Jones and Thurman).  Buddy Nix was the other (Marcell Dareus)

4. John Butler made selections that developed into good players but only a handful were named to the Pro-Bowl

5. Doug Whaley and Buddy Nix were not very good in the draft.  Buddy's only two Pro Bowl players were Gilmore and Dareus, whereas Sammy Watkins or Ron Darby were probably the closest he every got to drafting a Pro Bowl player.  Of course, his last draft in 2016 (sorry not counting 2017 as "his" draft) was only a few years ago, so we'll have to wait a few more seasons.  

The question now is how will Brandon Beane rank on this list.  I am hoping to see some more Pro Bowl players from his tenure as GM in the future.  Let's hope het get the chance to take over 100 swings like Belichick or Ozzie, because that will mean he's doing something right!

Let's hear some of your takeaways!

• Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

Let's see who's right....

Does it matter who's right? How many of these "Pro Bowlers" made a direct impact? LOL

This means nothing. ABSOLUTELY nothing.

Let's look at our "PRO BOWLERS" from this list from 2000 til now.

Reuben Brown, Sam Gash, Sam Cowart, Ted Washington, Eric Moulds, Larry Centers, Takeo Spikes, Travis Henry, Terrence McGee, Sam Adams, Brian Moorman, Mike Schneck, Aaron Schobel, Nate Clements, Jason Peters, Marshawn Lynch, Jairus Byrd, Kyle Williams, CJ Spiller, Mario Williams, Marcell Dareus, Tyrod Taylor, Eric Wood, Richie, McCoy...

How many of these guys have the Bills drafted from 2000 til now? Clements, Schobel, Travis Henry, Kyle Williams, Marshawn Lynch, Eric Wood, Jairus Byrd, CJ Spiller, Marcell Dareus. I'm not even counting alternates because that just further proves my point that Pro Bowl means nothing. Out of this list of players we've drafted  since 2000, how many players made a difference for us? Kyle Williams and...

And before you start crying about me not including anyone from the Polian era, I'm only counting 2000-NOW because according to this BS stat you gave us, 2001-2009 included our highest percentile. 

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Whaley also signed Mario, drafted Kiko (who was runner up Rookie of the year) who got traded for Shady, traded for Jerry Hughes, and signed Tyrod.  That’s 4 more pro bowl players.  

That’s why I titled the thread “Which Bills GM Had The Highest Percentage Of Drafting Pro Bowl Talent.”  Not “let’s defend Doug Whaley.”  

By the way @quotetheraven83 it sure seems like this dude things the Pro Bowl designation means something 

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Whaley also signed Mario, drafted Kiko (who was runner up Rookie of the year) who got traded for Shady, traded for Jerry Hughes, and signed Tyrod.  That’s 4 more pro bowl players.  

Drafting is different from signing. Hughes, Shady, Tyrod and Mario don't count in this list since they weren't drafted. This counts DRAFTED. Reading is fundamental.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

That’s why I titled the thread “Which Bills GM Had The Highest Percentage Of Drafting Pro Bowl Talent.”  Not “let’s defend Doug Whaley.”  

By the way @quotetheraven83 it sure seems like this dude things the Pro Bowl designation means something 

It does mean nothing. If it meant a whole lot, why did we trade our Pro Bowl QB to to the Browns?

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

Let’s just take this all as correct.

What the point here? Have the Bills had good personnel with bad coaching? Does the pro bowl mean nothing? Have we underachieved with good drafts comparatively across the league? 

Not sure what the end game is here. 

20 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

same ol song and dance, eh?

I agree with him.

You’re big on complaining

1 minute ago, Mango said:

What the point here? Have the Bills had good personnel with bad coaching? Does the pro bowl mean nothing? Have we underachieved with good drafts comparatively across the league? 

I write.  You complain.  That’s your endgame

My point is this...

If these GM's had a higher percentage of drafting Pro Bowl players than Belichick, and he's got more rings, what's the point of these numbers?

Show me the rings, not meaningless Pro Bowls.

You’re big on complaining

I write.  You complain.  That’s your endgame

Huh?

There were no complaints. Data should tell a story. I was asking what the next step was in putting together the Bills history with GM’s

Just now, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

My point is this...

If these GM's had a higher percentage of drafting Pro Bowl players than Belichick, and he's got more rings, what's the point of these numbers?

Show me the rings, not meaningless Pro Bowls.

Sorry. That was directed at the OP

Huh?

There were no complaints. Data should tell a story. I was asking what the next step was in putting together the Bills history with GM’s

Ok the sense I got the sense that you were taking a shot at me.  And yes the data is correct

Edited by BuffaloRush

Ok the sense I got the sense that you were taking a shot at me.  And yes the data is correct

Gah. I meant, I’m not going to dive into nuts and bolts of it. Not to question it. It’s pretty binary. There’s nothing to question.

When you break it down this way, what does it say about the Bills past. 

Hence the what’s the end game question. ??‍♂️