Ian Rapoport - Bills not going after 2nd pick

I'm warming up to the idea of moving up somewhere between 6-10 in order to draft Rosen. He is pro ready and there is not much to question about him on the field (other than durability). The more interviews I watch on him the better I feel about him as a franchise qb. I just don't see Rosen as a Jeff George or Jay Cutler type of guy. If anything he appears more similar to an Aaron Rodgers. So if personality is no longer a concern, I am left with durability. This is where I am changing my opinion a bit and more willing to take the risk. The capital needed to trade up for Rosen will be less if he drops out of the top 5. It would be too much risk to go to #2 for him (too many draft picks) but he could be good value trading up to the 6-10 range. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nucci said:

doesn't everything before the draft? No team is going to tell the media what their plans are

I agree especially because it came from rapaport. Someone told him to report that. Probably someone from the Bills FO. So other teams try to get to 4 or 2 and they find out what their offers are, then they swoop in and beat them. Like a last second eBay win. 

It’s like when Rapsheet reported that the Bills wouldn’t cut TT. I.E. if you want him you will need to trade for him. That worked swimmingly. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not a good comparison there. Allen has both of those things in spades, despite his other weaknesses. 

I guess when I say brains I mean decision making and not actual intelligence...he’s not really known for being a cerebral QB.

Edited by JaCrispy

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

You didn't add the New York Times into the newspaper mix. That changes the balance a tad. Don't you agree? 

I purposefully left out the Times.  No sports fan in NYC reads it for the sports.  The Sports Section is an afterthought at that paper.

20 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Looks like the Top 4 is set with the following...

Browns-Darnold

Giants-Barkley

Jets-Mayfield

Browns-Chubb

Josh Rosen and Josh Allen will both be there at #5 for the Bills. I just pray they don't take Josh Allen man. He sucks so bad. 

Top four looks right.  Let's hope we've got a gentleman's agreement with Cleveland to give us a head's up in case other teams are offering legit packages come draft night. 

14 hours ago, horned dogs said:

Thats because the top 4 isn't changing. Allen,Barkley,Chubb, Darnold are gone.

#5 is the new number 1 

Good. If Rosen is going to be there at 5, I'm all for it... and have to give up much less. No way the Giants would be willing to drop all the way to 12 anyway. I truly believe we'd have to trade up to 5, and THEN up to 2 for the Giants to give it up. It's not only the fact that they'd be getting a couple 1's.... but all of the talent they'd have to be willing to let pass them by to drop to 12.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I purposefully left out the Times.  No sports fan in NYC reads it for the sports.  The Sports Section is an afterthought at that paper.

I respectfully disagree. You need to widen your limited horizons. The New York Times is unparalleled in their coverage of the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. The newspaper that you deliberately left out dominates the rags that you mentioned in the world that the beautiful people inhabit. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/13/sports/westminster-dog-show.html

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

This screams smokescreen

Not that it matters, but I'll take this opportunity to write my occasional rant about this smokescreen nonsense.   

There's about 1/10,000 as much smokescreening during this period than the fans think.   It's silly.  

First, the supposed point of the smokescreen is to influence some other team to make a decision that the other team ordinarily wouldn't make so that the screening team can gain an advantage.    Well, if you have the number 1 pick, no one is drafting ahead of you so, there isn't anyone to influence.  So there's no point in putting up a smoke screen about what the Browns intend to do at #1.   

Well, you say, they may be trying to protect the guy they want at #4.   Baloney.  They're trying to mislead the Giants or Jets into thinking they'll take Allen or Mayfield when they really want Darnold.    Then what?  The Browns take Barkley at 1 and expect that the Giants and Jets will be so confused by the smokescreen that they WON'T NOTICE that Darnold is still on the board and Darnold will slip to 4?   That's the plan?   That's like a scene from Dumb and Dumber.  

Second, who actually believes that GMs sit around and think of ways to slyly mislead some other team so the other team will change it's decision making and then tells some underling to leak a certain piece of misinformation to a certain reporter, expecting that somehow that leak, among all the reporting that's out there, will actually cause the other team to change direction?    Maybe Tom Cruise does that in Mission Impossible, but it doesn't happen in the NFL.  

There's a much more plausible explanation about what happens at this time of year.   There are, I'd guess, more than 1000 members of the media who have to print or say something every day about what's going on leading up to the draft.   Reporters and broadcasters who cover the league and others who cover individual teams.   They need fresh material, so they keep talking to anyone who will talk to them.   GMs, coaches, players, scouts, former GMs, former coaches, former players, former scouts, wives of former GMs, ex-wives of former GMs, boyfriends of ex-wives of former GMs, anyone they can find.   The media take from those conversations anything they can, and they publish it in a way that makes it sound like it's true.   Then fans who don't want to believe that conclusion (usually because the fan doesn't want it to be true because it means his team won't be able to draft the guy he wants) need a reason to not believe it.   There's no obvious way to refute the statement, because it's a simple statement about something that no one else on the team is talking, so there's nothing to contradict it.   So why would the speaker have said it?   Oh, to mislead some other teams.   Of course!    VOILA!!!   The smokescreen is born.  

Do teams actually try to create smokescreens?    I'm sure it's been done once in a while, particularly to trick a team into trading up in a way that benefits the screening team.   But that's once in a great while.   Why?  Because if you're a GM and you trick another GM into doing something that works to your benefit and the other guy's disadvantage, you develop a reputation of not being a straight shooter, and your ability to make trades in the future is weakened.  Honesty is the best policy. 

Long live the smoke screen. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I really hope its Allen because I don't want him still out there when the Bills pick.

I'd be fine going to my grave without ever knowing how the Bills felt about Josh Allen

1 hour ago, racketmaster said:

I'm warming up to the idea of moving up somewhere between 6-10

No Bills fan can see those numbers without shuddering

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, TigerJ said:

If I were the Bills, I would target #6.  The price would be a little bit lower.  I figure that if Denver is really inclined to draft one of the top QBs, they won't be trading the pick anyway.  The only risk is that Denver could trade with another team, but Buffalo has the most capital for a trade.  That means any other team is going to have to make a more difficult sacrifice to get ahead of Buffalo, and that probably means they are either more desperate for a QB or they are a bit foolhardy.  Beane might be more inclined to play it safe, however.

I would not give the Cards the chance to make a "desperate" payment where they could take the qb I want.  

58 minutes ago, BillsGuru4 said:

No way they go rosen over darnold

Nor should they, but I don't think there's a snowball's chance in Hades Darnold falls to 5.

56 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I respectfully disagree. You need to widen your limited horizons. The New York Times is unparalleled in their coverage of the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. The newspaper that you deliberately left out dominates the rags that you mentioned in the world that the beautiful people inhabit. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/13/sports/westminster-dog-show.html

My bad.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I have been getting the NY Times delivered to my house for over 20 years and I generally do not read the sports section except for some of their baseball analysis (Tyler Kepner is good). It is the only paper I get, but the sports section is terrible. It's about as good as their comics section.

• Like (+1) 1

How the hell does Ian Rappaport know what Beane and company are doing. You got one thread saying there's information indicating there's an agreement in principle with the Giants for the No. 2 pick and now this thread saying the Bills aren't going for pick No. 2 No one knows diddly squat. Everyone throwing crap at the wall to get people to read their BS.

This just in.................Brandon Beane seen wearing Brown dress shoes. Agreement must be in place for pick No. 1 or Pick No. 4. No other reason why Beane would be wearing Brown shoes. Wait a minute. McDermott seen eating a donut with Orange Frosting while watching an old Western with lots of horses. Agreement must be in place for the Broncos No. 5 pick. No other explanation for why McDermott would be seen doing this. Wait!!!!! Terry Pegula seen boarding his Private Jet while wearing a Green tie. Agreement in place with the Jets for the No. 3 pick. No other way to explain why Pegula would be seen wearing a Green tie while getting on his Jet.