Why all the hate for Josh Allen?

5 minutes ago, Irv said:

Dude was 7th rated passer in the Larry-Moe-Curly Conference.  Jeff George had a Howitzer arm too.  

He was the second-rated passer his first year, in 2016, when he had good players around him.  

He beat two ranked teams that year.  It's a better conference than you think.  It's a notch above the MAAC.

Jeff George had a horrible attitude.  Josh Allen couldn't have a better attitude.  Jeff George didn't have a bad career.

Fans hate Allen much more than NFL scouts and coaches do. 

Many fans see the 56% completion rate and it is end of story. NFL evaluators don’t base their entire evaluation on a quarterbacks college stats. There are too many variables from surrounding and opposing talent to what type of scheme they ran.

11 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

He was the second-rated passer his first year, in 2016, when he had good players around him.  

He beat two ranked teams that year.  It's a better conference than you think.  It's a notch above the MAAC.

Jeff George had a horrible attitude.  Josh Allen couldn't have a better attitude.  Jeff George didn't have a bad career.

Number 1 overall pick.  Career 154 TD's 113 INT's 57.9% completion percentage.   We should not draft Josh George errr....Allen.

22 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

He literally was chosen as the 2nd team all-MWC in 2016, his first year as a college QB, but that's OK, nothing matters anymore anyway.

That's practically All-Pro.  

Edited by Irv

16 minutes ago, Buff76ers said:

Sorry for making this a repeated thread.  I just really feel that no matter what happens, we as a fan base will not be happy with who they get.  I kinda hope they get someone that nobody is talking about, then out of nowhere becomes fantastic.  I honestly have no clue on what to think of him other than what the so called experts say. 

Of course 100% of fans aren’t going to be happy dude. Everyone has their personal favorite. If that guy isn’t taken most of them will get over it and come around. 

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why do you think it's "hate"?

Not all but it is common to see Allen threads stating he “sucks”, “garbage”, “puke if they draft him”, “would not draft him in the 4th round”, make fun of his accuracy etc.

there is a lot of things being said about Allen that seem to be gross exaggerations and non-sensical. He has his flaws but posters that hate him completely ignore the positives.

6 minutes ago, Irv said:

Number 1 overall pick.  Career 154 TD's 113 INT's 57.9% completion percentage.   We should not draft Josh George errr....Allen.

That's practically All-Pro.  

Agreed.  Jeff George did not have a successful career for a #1 overall pick.  But he didn't suck.

Josh Allen was really good in 2016.  I watched every game he played that year and attended three of them.  He played well enough to be named the MWC preseason player of the year going into 2017 and to have the Kipers and McShays of the world projecting him as the #1 overall pick last offseason.  Again, that doesn't happen if you suck.  I've now achieved broken record status.  If you're so befuddled as to why he is garnering the type of he is, watch some highlights from 2016 and/or the three TD passes he made against Central Michigan in the bowl game this year.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Bill_with_it said:

Hes that unkown ball of clay that reignites visions of Manuel. No thanks. 

Sure.

11 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Not hyping him but perhaps he had a mediocre offensive line, poor receivers, and/or bad coaching?

He had a good offensive line, great receivers and a great coach in 2016.  He was good in 2016.

He had a decent offensive line, the worst running backs and receivers in all of division 1 and, still, a great coach in 2017.  His numbers regressed.  He didn't suddenly become worse at football.  He was also 8-3 and 8-1 against non-power 5 teams.

2016 and 2017 were very different seasons for Josh Allen.  The hype he garnered was a result of his 2016 season.  Watch some tape of it.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

43 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

People are scared of taking a guy in the top 10 that is generally viewed as a work in progress.

Why wouldn’t you be? Work in progress players are for the second and third round, not the top ten.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billspro said:

Why wouldn’t you be? Work in progress players are for the second and third round, not the top ten.

I imagine that NFL scouts don't view him as nearly the work-in-progress that fans do.

He's a risk, and a majority of people don't know how to recognize talent. What they do instead is look at stats (the ones they are told are important), the teams and level of competition, how popular the player was in college, and the team's record. All important, sure, but just parts of a greater whole. It's also kinda hip right now to like Rosen and hate Allen. 

There's a reason he's going to be a top 3 pick next week. He's got a rare skill set, he's smart, and he's moldable. Sometimes you gotta swing for the fences, and Allen is a potential Grand Slam, or a potential strikeout. I think he's a Grand Slam.  

9 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Sure.

He had a good offensive line, great receivers and a great coach in 2016.  He was good in 2016.

He had a decent offensive line, the worst running backs and receivers in all of division 1 and, still, a great coach in 2017.  His numbers regressed.  He didn't suddenly become worse at football.  

2016 and 2017 were very different seasons for Josh Allen.  The hype he garnered was a result of his 2016 season.  Watch some tape of it.

Here is the thing though. Mike White was in the exact same situation as Allen. White had a great season in 2016, then lost a bunch of his oline and WRs to the NFL. The difference was he was still able to elevate his team and produce good numbers in 2017 despite horrible talent. Allen has shown that he can’t elevate the roster around him. 

The reason I am comparing White and Allen is that they should be competing as second round prospects.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

El-stinko that will have to el-sitto and then more then likely become el-busto. Nothing but EJ hype for him, well if he can get better he could be great, blaaa, either you have accuracy or you dont, no thanks for top 10 pick but top of second sure let's see if he can learn anything. Top of second bust won't hurt as bad as a top 10 pick bust would.

Oddly put but yes, EJ had the height, arm, studied, athletic, good kid but alas el-busto.  Don't reach for these guys if one comes down grab him if not Luatte or White in round two.  Your point is well taken with el-sitto too, all of them will need to sit and there is a chance AJ might be ready to be the man.  If so no harm no foul, at least you didn't give up three picks for a back-up QB.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I imagine that NFL scouts don't view him as nearly the work-in-progress that fans do.

Well they better be right or they are going to be fired for sure. I would not put my job on the line for Allen.

His 2017 stats hurts alot of peoples perception of him.  Against Iowa and Oregon again he didnt put up good stats.  He made plays in each game, he made great throws that resulted into in-completions.  Imo Allen looked much better vs Iowa than Darnold looked vs OSU. 

5 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

His 2017 stats hurts alot of peoples perception of him.  Against Iowa and Oregon again he didnt put up good stats.  He made plays in each game, he made great throws that resulted into in-completions.  Imo Allen looked much better vs Iowa than Darnold looked vs OSU. 

Josh Allen had 0 TD's against Iowa, right?  Watch the play beginning at 3:58.  This was his best offensive weapon in 2017, CJ Johnson.  When I'm telling you he had no one, really believe me that he had no one.  

Edited by metzelaars_lives
  • Like (+1) 1