Show Me Your Allegiance! Trade Up or Stay Put POLL

Trade Up or Stay Put?  

260 members have voted

1. 1. Trade Up or Stay Put in Round 1?

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

I say, what are you asking? 

That's negotiation basics. Don't be the first to show the hand. If they're calling  (and they will be) we're in the drivers seat. 

If they come back and say two firsts this year, and a first next year I counter with 12, 22, and 96. (likely expecting them to ask for 65 back instead of 96, which i am fine with). 

In bartering and negotiation, as soon as you decide that you absolutely must have a thing, you've already lost. 

First, Cleveland is under no obligation to disclose either the identity of the team that has made them an offer, nor what that offer exactly is... They have a solid offer in their hands at that point... But for a moment lets say they tell Beane everything but need a "Final Offer" from us prior to the draft... What do you offer them? And assuming they accept the offer from Beane you've just traded into #4 NOT #5 as you wanted to do originally... 

But the most important thing you are not addressing is - What if Beane only really likes 2 of these QBs? The only solution then is trading up to #2... None of us fans are competent to judge which of these 4 QB's are the real deal... Only Beane hopefully knows (reasonably) for sure...

So you stay put and you draft a great 4-3 LB and a CB that fits this scheme in rd 1. (Hopefully they pan out). You ten have a roughly 50% shot at making good picks in rd 2 and 3. so you get a good player or two, but you still don't have a QB. You know what happens to teams who dont have QB's? The coaches and GM get fired. They then have to bring in a new GM and coach, and their scheme is different so now all these great players don't fit. Now the new GM and coach trade and release all these new players and in 3 years you are back right where you started. but the bills nor the fans know anything about that.

Trade up and take your shot. If you miss, you are still in the same scenario in 2-3 years as described as above. 

2 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

We have too many needs and it's not worth betting the farm on any quarterback who doesn't appear to be a sure thing, especially when there's decent QB talent and potential at the second tier.

OK, you filled all those holes, but you still have a s*** QB. What happens in three years when you have to deciede whch players to resign and let go because of cap space. ALso, do you plan on hitting on 100% of those picks? because if you do that is extremely unrealistic. What if one of those first round pick busts?  now you are hoping to get 3 starters out of 6 picks, which ain't that great. 

2016 - Goff and Wendt

2017-- Watson and Mahones

2018-- Darnold, Rosen , Allen , and Mayfield. 

I totally expect Beane to go up to 2 , Accomplishing  it by going to 4 , 5 , 0r 6 and then to 2. I will defer to Beane in the selection as he knows infinitely more about the players than I do. Also , more than the posters on this board who claim to know . If the pick doesn't,t work out , then you try again. That is why we had those picks in the first place , to get a QB , not to perk up the rest of the roster.

Better not trade up for Rosen - that guy needs to shut his mouth! He wore an F-trump hat. The guy is a prima dona like Ryan Leaf. No way he ends up as a Buffalo Bill. He does not fit our culture or are city. He is certainly not a leader of men. He’s a spoiled rich kid J.P. Losman all over again.

Right now I'm going to trust the process. This is Beane's first draft for the Bills. He has more info than any us. 
My hope is that we can wait until 12 to get the QB he wants n this years draft. That being said I would like to be able to watch rounds 2 and 3 as well:D

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Better not trade up for Rosen - that guy needs to shut his mouth! He wore an F-trump hat. The guy is a prima dona like Ryan Leaf. No way he ends up as a Buffalo Bill. He does not fit our culture or are city. He is certainly not a leader of men. He’s a spoiled rich kid J.P. Losman all over again.

If he wore a F-Trump hat, he's smarter than 70% of Bills fans. 

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

First, Cleveland is under no obligation to disclose either the identity of the team that has made them an offer, nor what that offer exactly is... They have a solid offer in their hands at that point... But for a moment lets say they tell Beane everything but need a "Final Offer" from us prior to the draft... What do you offer them? And assuming they accept the offer from Beane you've just traded into #4 NOT #5 as you wanted to do originally... 

But the most important thing you are not addressing is - What if Beane only really likes 2 of these QBs? The only solution then is trading up to #2... None of us fans are competent to judge which of these 4 QB's are the real deal... Only Beane hopefully knows (reasonably) for sure...

Personally I hope it's a three-way.  I've been begging for a three way for years now.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I hate to be the guy in the “it depends” crowd but the price matters to me. My ideal scenario at this point is 6 or 7 and still getting Rosen. 

I’m also in the “it depends” camp.  I can’t fathom giving away 12, 22 and a 1st next year for any of these QB prospects.  Heck, there are only a few established NFL QBs I would trade that much for - Rodgers and, well I don’t know who else.  I would of trade that much for Brady or Brees due to their age.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

2016 - Goff and Wendt

2017-- Watson and Mahones

2018-- Darnold, Rosen , Allen , and Mayfield. 

I totally expect Beane to go up to 2 , Accomplishing  it by going to 4 , 5 , 0r 6 and then to 2. I will defer to Beane in the selection as he knows infinitely more about the players than I do. Also , more than the posters on this board who claim to know . If the pick doesn't,t work out , then you try again. That is why we had those picks in the first place , to get a QB , not to perk up the rest of the roster.

Problem is you can’t really try again soon if you trade a boatload to move to 2.

43 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

First, I didn't say Cleveland needed to disclose what the other team offered, only that they needed to tell us what they expect from us. Then it's on our heads whether or not to play ball with them. If they want an offer before the draft (and I have no clue how Beane would handle this) I would offer 12, 22, and 96. I'm not going to give them a high offer before I know whose sitting there. 

If Beane only likes two, then I suppose you are correct in that the only way to guarantee he gets one is to go to 2. But what if Beane likes 4? Or 5? Or what if he only likes 1 QB? 

3 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

we followed your plan in 2003. How did it work out?

The Bills didn't have a first round pick in 2003. Bledsoe trade from ' 02

ifvyoure referring to '04, they had a deal in place to move up for Ben Roethlisberger that HOU cancelled when they got cold feet. If only that had worked out. Or do you believe that Big Ben would have forgotten how to play football if he was drafted by The Bills? The panic move from round two to the end of round one for Losman in that same year? Stupid and I don't recommend it. That's why they need to get to the top of a draft order with several good QBs like this year. It hasn't happened since '83. They've always been on the outside looking in. 

Edited by Boatdrinks