Show Me Your Allegiance! Trade Up or Stay Put POLL

Trade Up or Stay Put?  

260 members have voted

1. 1. Trade Up or Stay Put in Round 1?

24 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Heh?   Tell me which is the best QB among the 3,4,5,6 top ones. 

Tell me which of the top 4 are better than anything we've had in the last 10 years. 

Answer: Probably all of them.

I want Rosen or Mayfield.  I think both are available without selling out.  I have no problem moving up before the Dolphins, but I don't think it's necessary to move up to the Giants' 2 at the expense of the 22 and next year's 1st too. I think it's entirely possible that we see both still on the board at pick 10.

36 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Need to split the trade up into two: 

Trade into top 5

Trade into 5-10

First you have to consider whether McBean really likes any/all of the top 4... He may only really like 2 of them for example...

And what if Miami decides to trade up (#11, #42, #73) into #4 and we get potentially screwed... McBeane should trade up to #2 and be assured of getting the QB he really wants...

In the long run, the extra picks spent on getting to #2 won't mean very much at all...

1 hour ago, ChasBB said:

Just as I always suspected - 25% of Bills fans demonstrate intelligence  :P

They're the Deplorables... It's good to know that 3 out of 4 people voting "demonstrate intelligence" as you put it...

Edited by DefenseWins

1 hour ago, Chemical said:

That would be ideal, but you won't know if he or anyone for that matter will drop until after you pass on trading to #2. Are you willing to take that risk?

I was scared of the cost at first then I thought about the Texans. Are they kicking themselves for trading up and giving up what turned into #4 this year? I doubt it.

I don’t want to trade the 2019 1st. I also don’t know how closely the Bills have the prospects graded. I would be willing to pay a substantial price if they have a guy that they love followed by a bunch of guys that they like. If they are all pretty close than I’d pay a lesser price and still get a guy that I have a high grade on. It isn’t an easy (or realistic) question IMO. It really does depend.

I voted trade up because I am willing to part with some assets. There are trade up scenarios though that I will like less than staying put.

4 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

first you have to consider whether McBean really likes any/all of the top 4... He may only really like 2 of them for example...

And what if Miami decides to trade up (#11, #42, #73) into #4 and we get potentially screwed... McBeane should trade up to #2 and be assured of getting the QB he really wants...

In the long run, the extra picks spent on getting to #2 won't mean very much at all... 

I get what you're saying, but at the same time, it's very hard to imagine any team "Jumping" us without our knowledge. We hold the most draft capital of any non-brown team. We set the market because everyone in the top ten that is even considering trading out will be calling us first. 

We don't want to show our hand until necessary, and we also don't want to overpay for the potential franchise QB. There still needs to be a reasonable limit to what we're willing to spend or else we're Mike Ditka without the mustache. 

Edited by whatdrought

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I get what you're saying, but at the same time, it's very hard to imagine any team "Jumping" us without our knowledge. We hold the most draft capital of any non-brown team. We set the market because everyone in the top ten that is even considering trading out will be calling us first. 

We don't want to show our hand until necessary, and we also don't want to overpay for the potential franchise QB. There still needs to be a reasonable limit to what we're willing to spend or else we're Mike Ditka without the mustache. 

Cleveland calls Beane and says "we have another trade offer for #4". Need to know your "final offer" for #4. What do you tell them?

I still think a deal was struck with Cleveland for #4 at the time of TT trade.  I just felt the value they gave us for him was too high considering the team was likely to let him go anyway.  It makes more sense that it was tied to a bigger deal to move up.  I guess we'll see in a week!  

Just now, buffaloboyinATL said:

As I said before, it depends who’s there. You don’t trade up for the spot, you trade up for the player.

Unless you trade high enough.  That said though, I'm still not convinced McBean will pass up the opportunity to get several talented player for one?  That doesn't mean the won't move up though.  Bean appears to be a pretty sharp due, he may be able to get up there in ways we can't see from where we stand?  It is rather exciting.  Next week is going to be glacial leading up to the start of the draft.

6 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

Cleveland calls Beane and says "we have another trade offer for #4". Need to know your "final offer" for #4. What do you tell them?

I say, what are you asking? 

That's negotiation basics. Don't be the first to show the hand. If they're calling  (and they will be) we're in the drivers seat. 

If they come back and say two firsts this year, and a first next year I counter with 12, 22, and 96. (likely expecting them to ask for 65 back instead of 96, which i am fine with). 

In bartering and negotiation, as soon as you decide that you absolutely must have a thing, you've already lost. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

There has been a lot of debate on here that boils down to two things.

Where do you stand?  Go on the record.  

I'm all for swinging for the fences and going for Darnold Rosen or Mayfield.  

FWIW, I searched 5 pages of topics and could not find anything similar.  If missed something then please flame on, Mods.  

Only trade of for the qb you want. Not to sttle for the leftover qb.

• Like (+1) 1