The Lamar Jackson Sandbag

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's a lazy comparison. Deshaun had a much better college career as it pertains to potentially transitioning into the NFL, imo. He "Quarterbacked" his team to two National Championship appearances, and one National Championship victory. Something Jackson didnt get close to doing (and disappointingly neither did Mayfield).

He also wasnt throwing to 1st round selections like Watson was.  He basically WAS the offense of his team.

Its all relative

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's a lazy comparison. Deshaun had a much better college career as it pertains to potentially transitioning into the NFL, imo. He "Quarterbacked" his team to two National Championship appearances, and one National Championship victory. Something Jackson didnt get close to doing (and disappointingly neither did Mayfield).

Mayfield's Oklahoma team put up 45 points in regulation in the semifinal against one of the best defenses in CFB last season! It's a team game.

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I was listening to Sirius NFL Radio the other day and they were talking about how, if you draft Jackson, you need to build an entire offense around him.

Then it hit me: the Bills are in the PEFECT spot to do that. There are almost no established offensive pieces and we have a brand new OC. The Bills will be building an offense from the ground up pretty much no matter what. They could easily build one around Jackson if they so choose.

Except when you read Beane make comments that offenses change because of new OCs etc. 

"I'm going to get one that I think is the right guy for our team, for this organization, and skill set-wise that we're looking for," Beane said, noting that the search will be a collaborative effort with coach Sean McDermott. "Good coaches will take whatever this quarterback's strengths are and work it into the offense. We all know if you draft a guy for a certain coordinator or certain system, that guy goes on and does well and becomes a head coach, and a new guy comes in here and has a different system that doesn't fit the quarterback, that doesn't make sense. We'll draft a guy with a skill set that we think fits, and it will be up to the offensive coordinator and the offensive staff to accentuate whatever his strengths are and hide the weaknesses."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000905549/article/brandon-beane-bills-in-process-of-finding-franchise-qb

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's a lazy comparison. Hello ? Didn't Jackson win the Heisman ? Don't you have to have a pretty good season to win the Heisman ? Hold your horses now, I know what you're going to say, "Just because he won the Heisman doesn't mean he's going to succeed in the NFL". I agree, probably %50 of Heisman winners have gone on to less than stellar careers. But you said Watson had  a much better college career. I disagree.

2 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Because of what DeShaun Watson did last year....in my opinion everybody is pretending that they aren't going to draft Lamar Jackson.  The guy is a stud.  Lightning fast, big arm, a defensive coordinator's nightmare.  Nobody's talking about him, but I'm thinking he's going early.  I don't know about top 5, that seems dumb.  But Houston found a STAR in Watson, and Lamar is a faster, more explosive player.  According to the internet, Watson ran a 4.66, and Jackson a 4.34.  

Tyrod was a scary asset as a Bill.  His main problem was his tendency to panic in the pocket and not be able to find receivers.  But his talent made him a tradable asset and Cleveland's number one guy right now.  

If the Bills continue to participate in this misdirection, and he's there at 12 say Hello Lamar.  Welcome to the Bills.

Lamar is not even in the same zip code when it comes to passing the football compared to Watson. Lamars little twig legs are going to get shattered, NFL defense's will be saying the same things about Lamar as they did with Taylor, Make Him Be a QB.

1 hour ago, Floydboy12 said:

Living in KY I have seen a lot of Lamar. He's an electric athlete who can do things I haven't seen since Vick. But as others have stated, his style will lead him to injury I am afraid. And I agree that the Bills seem to be looking for a traditional drop back passer. They were ready to bench Tyrod for Peterman for gods sake. If the Bills took him at 22 I wouldn't be unhappy. He can be unreal at times. But we would hold our breath each time he took the field waiting for that season ending hit. 

The thing is, Floyd, sometimes QB just get hurt.  Stafford and Bradford would be perhaps the premier examples of classic pocket-passers who were injured multiple seasons early in their career.  Of this year's draft class, both Joshs (pocket guys) lost time with shoulder injuries.  Mason Rudolph scares me when he runs, he moves like a busted mower in high grass.   

Now that said, Jackson needs to be willing to invest time in learning to slide and to mentally commit to it.  But assuming he stopped his stupid hurdling and did so, I wouldn't hold my breath any more than I'd hold my breath worried that our brand new precious pocket-passer dude is going to get his season-ending bell rung.

Here's a 2013 article about mobile QBs.  It may be notable that Wilson, a baseball player, may avoid injury not because he is "thicker", but because he slides proficiently and is comfortable doing so.  Favorite quote: "Then there's Griffin, who treats the quarterback slide like a guy looking for a clean spot to squat and take a **** in the woods. It's ugly, it's unnatural, and it's probably one of the worst things for his surgically repaired knee."

Anyway back to the Bills, I agree that Jackson is not high on the Bills board.  I think they want a classroom-smart football-savvy pocket passer, and Lamar Jackson doesn't check their boxes.

6 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Lamar is not even in the same zip code when it comes to passing the football compared to Watson. Lamars little twig legs are going to get shattered, NFL defense's will be saying the same things about Lamar as they did with Taylor, Make Him Be a QB.

NFL defenses may say the same things, but Jackson may have a different answer. 

"Make him be a QB" Taylor: "Oh crap crap crap what's my next read?" 

Jackson: "OK.  Watch this!" 

Comparisons assuming Jackson and Taylor are pretty much the same guy, are actually kinda lazy. 

Maybe more lazy than comparisons between Watson and Jackson as passers?  Watson had by far more college passing production than Jackson, but a lot of that (as with Mayfield and Rudolph) may be the style of offense he played in. 

Watson is light years ahead of Lamar as a passer. More than Lamar is ahead of Watson as a runner. I feel like his game is very much like Mike Vick imo. I do think he's coming out of college a better passer than Vick did and I think when he improves his footwork and gets comfortable in an NFL pocket he could be scary dangerous. I would be ok with him with one of the first round picks. I think he will put up good numbers and put some points on the board. I do kind of worry about him getting hit. 6'3 205 is pretty slim. 

8 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

One thing I would say is....please tell me how many 5 and 4 star recruits on Clemson vs Louisville or FSU vs Louisville.     What was Elways record his senior year or Marino's stats his senior year.   

Dude did win the Heisman.     Beane could be thinking Jackson plus 5 solid picks around him might not be too bad.    Sure seems like a lot of Carolina influence....Maybe Jackson could develop close to Cam--who went to a SB.    Watson had 5.98 NFL draft grade and Jackson has 5.91.    To think he could be good is not some crazy thought.

Edited by billsfan714

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree.

Moreover, although I could be wrong, I think Jackson and his Mom are being intentional about the draft process.  If some teams find it "hard to schedule" with him while others find it straightforward, IMO it's not because the Jackson camp can't manage a schedule.  It's because Felicia Jones (aka "Mama Kodiak Bear") needs to be persuaded that team's interest aligns with her son's.  And I think they want Jackson to go someplace with an established QB, QB coach and OC where he can sit for a bit, and preferably someplace where the coach has a track record of using a QB with a unique skillset mindfully.

If I were offering an opinion to the Jackson camp, I would regretfully have to tell them that Buffalo would NOT be that place.

I disagree Hapless, I think "Mama Kodiak Bear" believe her son can come right in and start for a team. All throughout the "process" his mother wanted her son to play QB, period. Lamar and his team would want to go to a team that will give him the opportunity to COMPETE for a starting QB position in the NFL from the jump. This article from Cover 1 represents my belief in what will happen.

https://www.cover1.net/5-reasons-lamar-jackson-is-the-bills-target-in-the-draft/

11 minutes ago, the skycap said:

I disagree Hapless, I think "Mama Kodiak Bear" believe her son can come right in and start for a team. All throughout the "process" his mother wanted her son to play QB, period. Lamar and his team would want to go to a team that will give him the opportunity to COMPETE for a starting QB position in the NFL from the jump. This article from Cover 1 represents my belief in what will happen.

https://www.cover1.net/5-reasons-lamar-jackson-is-the-bills-target-in-the-draft/

Well, it's a possibility, and it's far from the worst thing that could happen to the Bills QB situation, but I would be surprised.  Very surprised.

it will all come down to what teams view him as as a passer of the football. a mobile qb is a wonderful thing, but accuracy and ball placement are what will win you the big games. that's why we have been hearing the new catch phrase "winning from the pocket". jackson could be amazing. if he can be successful slinging the ball, and use his legs in advantageous spots, he could be absolutely lethal.

9 hours ago, foreboding said:

Watson was and is a proven WINNER. Anyone who doubted that got sucked into some crud. He proved it in college and now in the pros. Everyone looks dumb for passing on that guy.

AJ McCarron won 2 championships.   Some had him as a 1st rounder.  Lasted till the 5th.  Cleveland was ready to give up 2 2nd round picks for him.  Maybe we’re ok right now.   

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, it's a possibility, and it's far from the worst thing that could happen to the Bills QB situation, but I would be surprised.  Very surprised.

Agreed.

I don't think he fits the style of QB/offense they want to run.

I think he would be insane with Andy Reid as his coach.

Look what hevdid with Vick and the modified "West coast-vertical offense" hybrid that year in Philly.

I think that's the offensive model Jackson needs.

3 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

AJ McCarron won 2 championships.   Some had him as a 1st rounder.  Lasted till the 5th.  Cleveland was ready to give up 2 2nd round picks for him.  Maybe we’re ok right now. 

That would be nice, but I would be very surprised by that too.

That would be OK.  I like surprises (usually)

• Haha (+1) 1