Mayfield to the Jets or just smoke?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-baker-mayfield-to-jets-a-done-deal/ar-AAw2w8k?ocid=ientp

Came across this.  Next week can't come soon enough.  The anticipation is killing me.  So...what do you all think?  is this smoke or is this definitely going to be a done deal for Baker to the Jets.  I've been a Baker fan since day 1 and was hoping that he would don a Bills jersey next week. 

2 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-baker-mayfield-to-jets-a-done-deal/ar-AAw2w8k?ocid=ientp

Came across this.  Next week can't come soon enough.  The anticipation is killing me.  So...what do you all think?  is this smoke or is this definitely going to be a done deal for Baker to the Jets.  I've been a Baker fan since day 1 and was hoping that he would don a Bills jersey next week. 

I doubt it's completely smoke, but they didn't move up hoping to get Mayfield and nobody else.

He's an edgy guy and would probably fit NYC in terms of temperament, which is important there. You can't be oversensitive in the Big Apple.

Pure guesswork, but I think he's their second choice, after Darnold.

I'm not even convinced the Jets are going quarterback.  They signed Bridgewater and McCown.  If the quarterback they covet isn't available at #3, they could easily choose Barkley.  Just a thought.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Estro said:

I think it's smoke.  I think the Jets moved up knowing they loved both Darnold and Rosen and had pretty good intel that the Browns were taking Josh Allen.

You don't make a trade like that based on your intel.  They gave up a bit, could easily have waited until the draft when most trades happen.  They're getting what they want or better.

4 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

How can it be a done deal?

27 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

You don't make a trade like that based on your intel.  They gave up a bit, could easily have waited until the draft when most trades happen.  They're getting what they want or better.

There is no certainty of player availability at pick 3. Getting what they want is a possibility ( is it possible to get something " better" than what they want? )  but it just cannot be guaranteed. How can it when a team such as the Bills could obtain the Giants pick at 2? They couldn't wait until the draft because another team ( the Bills) was in pursuit of the Colts pick at #3. Waiting wasn't an option as the Jets didn't control the merchandise. What they did do is get the best pick that was ever going to be available to them ( the Giants don't do trades with the Jets, and the Browns aren't moving off pick # 1 for less than a ransom. )The deal was done at the time of the Colts choosing. If the Jets said no or maybe, the Bills would own pick 3 right now. It's that simple. 

23 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

There is no certainty of player availability at pick 3. Getting what they want is a possibility ( is it possible to get something " better" than what they want? )  but it just cannot be guaranteed. How can it when a team such as the Bills could obtain the Giants pick at 2? They couldn't wait until the draft because another team ( the Bills) was in pursuit of the Colts pick at #3. Waiting wasn't an option as the Jets didn't control the merchandise. What they did do is get the best pick that was ever going to be available to them ( the Giants don't do trades with the Jets, and the Browns aren't moving off pick # 1 for less than a ransom. )The deal was done at the time of the Colts choosing. If the Jets said no or maybe, the Bills would own pick 3 right now. It's that simple. 

Not to mention it being a "done deal" means the Browns, and Giants said "we pinky promise not to take Mayfield". Unlikely.

4 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Hope it is true but it is not. Mayfield has a better chance of going 12 than he does to get picked at 3

There are a few dark horse  like Arizona, Baltimore, New England, Pittsburgh, Miami  who given an opportunity will jump between that 5-12 to get one of these four QBs.  The Bills would be foolish if they stood  at 12 or 21 for their QB unless they are happy with a  Mason Rudolph or Lamar Jackson.   

This is going to be one of the most anticipated draft as there is likely hood of 6 QBs going in the top 15 if these  teams have their way!

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm not even convinced the Jets are going quarterback.  They signed Bridgewater and McCown.  If the quarterback they covet isn't available at #3, they could easily choose Barkley.  Just a thought.

just maybe, the plan was to get ahead of the browns 2nd pick at 4 ...for barkley....knowing that the giants would most likely take chubb and even if they don't, chubb would certainly help the depleted front 4 on the jets.

2 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

just maybe, the plan was to get ahead of the browns 2nd pick at 4 ...for barkley....knowing that the giants would most likely take chubb and even if they don't, chubb would certainly help the depleted front 4 on the jets.

Could be.  It's still likely they're taking a quarterback, but it just seemed odd to me they gave all that up to move to #3 not knowing what would happen with the first two picks.  They'd have to be sold on at least three quarterbacks they thought were future franchise QB's.  Their plan may be draft our QB if he falls to us and if he doesn't then grab the best player available (Barkley or Chubb).  We still have McCown who performed very well last year and we'll see if Bridgewater can pick up where he left off before the injury.

“One source, who has dealt with quarterbacks at the top of the draft the past five years, believes Mayfield to the Jets is a ‘done deal.'”

What does "...has dealt with quarterbacks..." mean? And why would someone who has "dealt with quarterbacks" know what three NFL GM's are going to do on draft day? How can you have a "done deal" if two teams will have the chance to draft the player you want? A "done deal" is a deal that is actually done as opposed to a deal that is merely possible or desired. And just so we are clear, the word "done" means "brought to an end, completed or finished". 

This needs to stop before someone gets hurt.

giphy.gif