Shaq Lawson Sets Sights on Pro Bowl & Super Bowl in His 3rd Season

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:17 PM, billsfan89 said:

The only concern about the Bills pass rush situation is there isn't a clear-cut dominant pass rusher on the roster. It's a grab bag of players that could be good but no one you can feel confident in to be a 10 or even close to 10 sack guy. Hughes is a bit older and his QB hits and pressures were down last season. Lorax was misused in 2017 hopefully in 2018 as a pure pass rusher he rebounds, but he will also be 35 which is a concern.

Shaq set the edge against the run well but has been hurt a lot and hasn't broken out as a pass rusher, hopefully he breaks out. Murphy was the big addition to help the pass rush in free agency but he is coming off a big injury. They signed that former 3rd round pick from the Giants too he is a good take a flyer type player. 

All of the Bills pass rushers have huge concerns but they all also have potential to be productive. I think they are likely going to see what pans out from the current players and then address it next off-season.  

Just watch hughes this year. With the addition of Star the qb will not be able to step up like they all did last year. Hughes was actually really good at beating his man again last year but compared to other years the QB's had a lot of room to step up and let him just run right by them. I think Hughes will be back around 10- 11 sacks this year just from getting a competent DT to stuff the middle. Shaq will never be more than a 5-7 sack guy and should've never been expected to be coming out of college. He will earn his money in the run game. Wasn't my favorite pick ever but we have him now so use him right

Edited by Wsam4031

20 hours ago, OJABBA said:

Hey man, thanks for taking the time to clear that up for me. I'm really looking forward to watching Shaq. His wonderful spirit and the leadership that it just might provide, could prove to be pivotal for us this season, don't you think?

lol......calm down sarcastic dreamer/ojabba-ouija board reader. :D

Your concern and angst over a good rotational depth edge setting Shaq being on this roster surly will be elevated before the start of the season when Beane dumps him for a 2021 6th round draft pick from a team picking near the end of the round like KC, Philly, or LARams.

Trust the process.

Edited by cba fan

2 hours ago, cba fan said:

lol......calm down sarcastic dreamer/ojabba-ouija board reader. :D

Your concern and angst over a good rotational depth edge setting Shaq being on this roster surly will be elevated before the start of the season when Beane dumps him for a 2021 6th round draft pick from a team picking near the end of the round like KC, Philly, or LARams.

Trust the process.

You're probably right, but don't call me "surly".

• Haha (+1) 1

Typical responses on the board... <_<

Everyone is here to laugh & talk s*** like they've done something on the field.

Somehow people find a way to spin it & take shots, just because he has high expectations and a good mindset.

You'd think fans would want ALL of their players to have that mentality, but nope. The second someone who has yet to prove themselves says "I want to make a Pro Bowl" or "I want to win a Super Bowl" they start talking trash about them.

The guy was asked a question and answered. It's not like he's running around to every person with a camera and gloating/bragging about how great he is. He's responding in a positive way about what his goals are. Maybe look up what the word "goal" means...Most people set goals on things they have yet to achieve & accomplish....meaning he is aware he hasn't done those things yet.

Comments pointing out "why don't you do _____ on the field first blah blah?" or "shut up until you prove yourself!" are just typical internet diarrhea from those overly cynical armchair QB's.

He obviously is aware he has yet to hit his potential, that's why he has goals to then do so. The fact that needs to be explained to people is ridiculous.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Kelsay was a poor run defender.    Undersized and overwhelmed.....could not set an edge.   He was a speed bump vs the ground game.

His game was pass rush.   He was better at it than his truly feeble sack stats would indicate but not worth the liability he created in run defense. 

Shaq, unlike Kelsay, is actually a good run defender.......once his slow twitch brain/muscles get him out of his stance he is truly strong and has good short area quickness and hands at that point.    

But that first step is so tragically bad......worst in the NFL.....and the most important trait of a good pass rusher is being able to get the OT off balance with a quick initial move.

If only he had Mayham Maybins first step?

Kelsay... he was one of the guys that used to make me yell at the TV...

13 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

If only he had Mayham Maybins first step?

Kelsay... he was one of the guys that used to make me yell at the TV...

Yup........those quicks got Maybin drafted top 10.   It's at the top of the list of traits needed in a great pass rusher.........but want-to is necessary as well and what they didn't know was that dude was fakin' it once he signed that contract.    He would literally embellish contact to make it look like he was trying.  People thought "aw he's just too small"......but nowadays lots of DE's play at his size.   He was there for the pay check and that's all.:lol:

Yeah Kelsay was a problem.    The notion that he was a solid run defender is hilarious.........but his motor was high and sometimes that confuses people.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

The way Mcdermott likes to platoon his dline I think there is still value with Lawson.  Lets see if he can complete a full season.  Being a solid run defender is still important.  Lawson is not walking into camp the starter now.  He will have to earn his spot in the rotation.  if he does not he will be traded before September.  

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

The way Mcdermott likes to platoon his dline I think there is still value with Lawson.  Lets see if he can complete a full season.  Being a solid run defender is still important.  Lawson is not walking into camp the starter now.  He will have to earn his spot in the rotation.  if he does not he will be traded before September.  

The rotation aspect really means nothing.   He was rotated last year and stunk.

Rushing the passer poorly....but with less chances.....does not make one a more useful player.

This wasn't a guy who was being worn down by the run game and then subsequently saw his production as a pass rusher drop.........he just can't get off the ball whether it's his 1st snap or his 50th snap.

I'm still shocked anyone could have watched that and think for a minute that he believes what he is saying?

I don't really think it's a big deal to make the claims that he did in the video (it's just cliché sports babble), but when fans here say "I like his attitude" etc...he looks sheepish for a guy claiming to be preparing for the Pro Bowl. He looks like a guy worried about making the roster, but trying to make up for it with some really weak bravado.

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The rotation aspect really means nothing.   He was rotated last year and stunk.

Rushing the passer poorly....but with less chances.....does not make one a more useful player.

This wasn't a guy who was being worn down by the run game and then subsequently saw his production as a pass rusher drop.........he just can't get off the ball whether it's his 1st snap or his 50th snap.

There was really no real option though behind him.  Davis? Yarborough?  Cappi?  Going into TC Lawson will have to earn a spot on the field.  By sheer numbers he isnt going to be gifted a roster spot like last year.    Murphy is the second best pass rusher behind Hughes.  If Lawson is the best at setting the edge against the run why not play him on first and second down?  i think we have similar mindsets with him, he needs to improve or he will be gone.  Im not expecting him to be Khalil Mack but  stout against the run and move the pocket with a pass rush is ok for a situational player.