Shaq Lawson Sets Sights on Pro Bowl & Super Bowl in His 3rd Season

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

THIS!  Great game from Shaq...but people around here decide on draft night they dont like a choice in that spot and seem to just stick to their guns in an almost rooting way for them to fail and prove those judgments right.  

He has a lot to still prove, one vanilla preseason game is one thing, stringing together a strong series of practices and consistent showings in rest of preseason is what will show he belongs on this team.  Right now, he's trending upward for sure, but he is going to have to keep doing it.

...maybe he had an epiphany 'Dawg that an "opportunity of a lifetime" was slipping away....sure the injuries were unfortunate, but that is behind him....astonishing to see the hatred/vitriol for a kid trying to fulfill a dream from some "NOT employed by the NFL EXPERT posters" pounding away from under their desks.....quite the life....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Emergence of Shaq Lawson

Former first round pick Shaq Lawson had been mentioned as someone the Bills may be looking to trade this offseason. He had not produced much since coming into the league in 2016 and the Bills signed DE Trent Murphy in free agency. Unfortunately for Muprhy, who has been dealing with a groin injury, Lawson has been making the most of the snaps he’s taking while Murphy is hurt. Defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier spoke well of Shaq this week saying, “I thought he did a really good job with the snaps that he had in the first preseason game.” If Shaq can continue to play well he may win the starting job, even if Murphy gets healthy.

13th Annual Bills training camp awards

Most Improved Player – Shaq Lawson
Entering his third NFL season, it appears the light bulb has gone on for the pass rusher. In the best shape of his life, Lawson is not only quicker off the line, but he’s added a new dimension to his pass rush game. Lawson easily batted down the most passes of any player in camp. The 2018 season could be a breakout year for him.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

Glad to hear Shaq has been showing some improved play.  Hopefully he isn't satisfied with just a small taste of success and keeps improving

It's good to hear but it's not like he was seen as any kind of slouch in camp in 2017........ he was a star of training camp right out of the gate last year.

And there were a lot of people here that thought he was playing very well early last season.   He wasn't........but he got credit for a couple vulture sacks early on plays where he didn't even hit a live QB and the lazy analysis in October was how improved Shaq was.?

I love the new and improved get-off...........now he needs to show he can actually get to the passer. 

If Shaq has a breakout season and ends up being the fixture to the pass rush that the team drafted him to be that's a gigantic plus for the defense going forward. Having Shaq emerge as a prime pass rusher turns the defenses oldest and most questionable unit into a very respectable one and one that has a good young piece anchoring it. Really rooting for Shaq.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's good to hear but it's not like he was seen as any kind of slouch in camp in 2017........ he was a star of training camp right out of the gate last year.

And there were a lot of people here that thought he was playing very well early last season.   He wasn't........but he got credit for a couple vulture sacks early on plays where he didn't even hit a live QB and the lazy analysis in October was how improved Shaq was.?

I love the new and improved get-off...........now he needs to show he can actually get to the passer. 

I thought Shaq played the run well last season before he got hurt. But he never really got any sort of pressure. Hopefully, that quick first step combined with his power results in a better pass rush. Shaq has been pretty banged up his first two seasons so it isn't surprising to me that in his third season he is still looking like he has work to do, but he also looks like he is getting there. Hopefully he stays healthy and can focus on progressing his game with more pass rush moves and the finer points.

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I thought Shaq played the run well last season before he got hurt. But he never really got any sort of pressure. Hopefully, that quick first step combined with his power results in a better pass rush. Shaq has been pretty banged up his first two seasons so it isn't surprising to me that in his third season he is still looking like he has work to do, but he also looks like he is getting there. Hopefully he stays healthy and can focus on progressing his game with more pass rush moves and the finer points.

One of the criticisms of Shaq coming out of Clemson was that he wasn't good at controlling O-lineman with his arms..........he would just lean into OT's and block himself.........that would be the next step for him.........he can't just get absorbed by the OL on the pass rush..    

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

One of the criticisms of Shaq coming out of Clemson was that he wasn't good at controlling O-lineman with his arms..........he would just lean into OT's and block himself.........that would be the next step for him.........he can't just get absorbed by the OL on the pass rush..    

I that is where the speed and first step comes in. Shaq can't out power NFL players and be consistently effective. My hope is the speed off the edge makes it easier for him to make that adjustment to his play.

Does Leslie Frazier need glasses?  Why does he have Shaq playing left defensive end  and not  his natural defensive end spot where he made himself a first round pick playing the right defensive end  side.  Look Shaq is a natural right defensive end even Rex had him playing right outside linebacker with some success when Shaq was a rookie.  Leslie try this in the next preseason game try Shaq at right defensive end because I think Jerry Hugh's maybe finished.

18 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Does Leslie Frazier need glasses?  Why does he have Shaq playing left defensive end  and not  his natural defensive end spot where he made himself a first round pick playing the right defensive end  side.  Look Shaq is a natural right defensive end even Rex had him playing right outside linebacker with some success when Shaq was a rookie.  Leslie try this in the next preseason game try Shaq at right defensive end because I think Jerry Hugh's maybe finished.

Terrible take.  Hughes is the only legit pass rusher the Bills currently have and Shaq himself said he was out of place and uncomfortable in the Rex Ryan defense. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 2

The team picked Shaq knowing they would have to wait on him. I assume that was done because Shaq is supposed to be a force on this team. 

I was hoping I would yell Shaq Attack every time he made a play. 

One would think if he was a "natural" right DE that he might have some success on the left side. He had maybe one decent play stopping the run. He was useless rushing the passer. USELESS. I don't believe he got around his man even once. He was stood up straight on every pass play. Sure, I get that he's better on the right side. But, how much better could he be? Better than Hughs? I doubt it!

And, why on earth would Jerry Hughs be finished??? He's 30!