Shaq Lawson Sets Sights on Pro Bowl & Super Bowl in His 3rd Season

Shaq was very good Thursday night. It was nice to see. I’m not sure if he will ever live up to a first round pick, but it was quite encouraging watching him play. He seems much quicker than previous years. 

Edited by Sanners

16 hours ago, Sanners said:

Shaq was very good Thursday night. It was nice to see. I’m not sure if he will ever live up to a first round pick, but it was quite encouraging watching him play. He seems much quicker than previous years. 

He's much lighter that he's been in previous years.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

On 8/11/2018 at 8:09 AM, Sanners said:

There was one snap where he was inside at a tackle spot, he was the first guy off the line by a mile. Was great to see from him 

On 8/10/2018 at 5:57 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Whaley hating fanaticism with a few zealots that come to mind. 

I think that’s it’s just difficult for many of us to have faith in a Rex/Whaley pick. The Lawson pick has Rex’s fingerprints all over it. He doesn’t exactly have the greatest track record. Personally, I hope that Shaq becomes a huge success. 

Just now, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I think that’s it’s just difficult for many of us to have faith in a Rex/Whaley pick. The Lawson pick has Rex’s fingerprints all over it. He doesn’t exactly have the greatest track record. Personally, I hope that Shaq becomes a huge success. 

We should all be hoping for this as it'll only make the team better. 

I've never really liked the way Lawson plays. He's not a speed rusher that you have to worry about. He doesn't have great instincts where he is always in the right place to make a play. He is the last player to react when the ball is snapped. He is basically a 7 mil a year run stopper who comes in on goal line and short yardage plays. 

I don't see him drastically changing his game to where he is a player that is worth 7 mil a year.

On 8/10/2018 at 5:54 PM, Buftex said:

I thought Shaq stood out last night...not sure why so many fans root for our guys to fail.  

He has clearly worked on his first step A TON.

He was getting off the ball the same as the other DL, which is a HUGE improvement.

He even nearly had an offside because he got off one snap so quick..........the problem was he then got stoned on that play.

The first step is a start........but being quick into the OL across from him is something new.....he's literally always been the last guy off the snap even at Clemson.

It may be that he has to learn how to use his arms/hands/feet when he's arriving on time.

He's always had something of a different way of rushing the passer.........he would get off so late that his blocker would often be a bit fractured from the rest of the OL and that would OCCASIONALLY serve to Shaq's advantage and allow him space to work.

When you come off in unison with the other DL the OL can get in lock-step and the room to move as a pass rusher decreases.   You have to be good at getting thru tight spaces to have success with an inside move.  

I was pleased with his play but would have hoped that fixing the get-off would make a bigger impact.    It's early, he should be able to build on that.    

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I've never really liked the way Lawson plays. He's not a speed rusher that you have to worry about. He doesn't have great instincts where he is always in the right place to make a play. He is the last player to react when the ball is snapped. He is basically a 7 mil a year run stopper who comes in on goal line and short yardage plays. 

I don't see him drastically changing his game to where he is a player that is worth 7 mil a year.

Lawson has a 2.8 million cap hit this year.

Does that change anything?

14 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

No, i was looking at the wrong number on the website. He serves no purpose as a average run stuffing DE. I would rather use the roster spot to develop another DE.

How about we let our former 1st rd pick develop on his cheap rookie contract whom is showing signs that he is adjusting to this new defensive scheme?

2 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

How about we let our former 1st rd pick develop on his cheap rookie contract whom is showing signs that he is adjusting to this new defensive scheme?

I have no problem with letting him develop for another year. I wouldn't judge him off pre season games, lets see how he does when the games actually matter. I hope he turns into a solid rotation guy but he lacks the burst, speed and a dominating pass rush move to ever be a good DE.

I never had much to say about Shaq Lawson. I want to like him. The team already shipped out a lot of players they felt couldn't be a part of the big picture. This guy is still around. So I'll just wait and see what happens. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/10/2018 at 2:54 PM, Buftex said:

I thought Shaq stood out last night...not sure why so many fans root for our guys to fail.  

THIS!  Great game from Shaq...but people around here decide on draft night they dont like a choice in that spot and seem to just stick to their guns in an almost rooting way for them to fail and prove those judgments right.  

He has a lot to still prove, one vanilla preseason game is one thing, stringing together a strong series of practices and consistent showings in rest of preseason is what will show he belongs on this team.  Right now, he's trending upward for sure, but he is going to have to keep doing it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

THIS!  Great game from Shaq...but people around here decide on draft night they dont like a choice in that spot and seem to just stick to their guns in an almost rooting way for them to fail and prove those judgments right.  

He has a lot to still prove, one vanilla preseason game is one thing, stringing together a strong series of practices and consistent showings in rest of preseason is what will show he belongs on this team.  Right now, he's trending upward for sure, but he is going to have to keep doing it.

He does look quicker with the first step.  I remember watching him last year and he was just so slow to get off the ball.

He dropped the weight and it looks like it's paid off.  He's definitely committed.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He does look quicker with the first step.  I remember watching him last year and he was just so slow to get off the ball.

He dropped the weight and it looks like it's paid off.  He's definitely committed.

Yeah, all reports suggest he's putting in the changes and work to get the job done.  He's got to do it on a consistent basis of course, and keep showing well in games, but so far its a fair statement to say he's off to a strong start.