Shaq Lawson Sets Sights on Pro Bowl & Super Bowl in His 3rd Season

2 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Pressures can be as effective as sacks, and even sometimes more effective.

That's a result.

Hell yes. Also any QB hit is a great result. Takes it's toll mentally and physically. I like our front four. Still concerned about our LBs. 

6 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I'm ready to be excited for this guy.   Or ready for Murphy to take his job if he isn't getting it done.   Either way i'm ready for more QB pressures/sacks. 

I think with Murphy making $7 million a year, he's penciled in as starter.  I think McDermott sees value in a rotation with Shaq but on the 2nd team.  He just hasn't shown enough in the pass rush department to be 1st string.  I think that's why they targeted Murphy early on.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I think with Murphy making $7 million a year, he's penciled in as starter.  I think McDermott sees value in a rotation with Shaq but on the 2nd team.  He just hasn't shown enough in the pass rush department to be 1st string.  I think that's why they targeted Murphy early on.

I think Shaq has value as a run defender and he was stout enough to move inside on passing downs and hopefully generate pressure by beating guards and centers.   Murphy's strength is getting to the QB, so hopefully between the two we have a solid rotation.   

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2018 at 11:49 AM, thurst44 said:

I grew up a Bills fan in NYC (my family is from Buffalo) and was a vocal enough fan that most sports fans in my high school knew it. We drafted Seals my freshman year, and my classmate Kenyatta, a huge NFL fan--Steelers fan if memory serves, talked to me for an entire Spanish class about how we had got the steal of the draft with Leon Seals, so from that point, while he had a decent run with the Bills, he could never live up to the hype in my mind for Dr. Sack.

Prime years for high school Bills fandom!

my top memory of Leon was his requesting that they get him the hell out of Buffalo after the first SB loss interviews

On 5/9/2018 at 9:03 AM, Soda Popinski said:

I think Shaq has value as a run defender and he was stout enough to move inside on passing downs and hopefully generate pressure by beating guards and centers.   Murphy's strength is getting to the QB, so hopefully between the two we have a solid rotation.   

Murphy honestly hasn't shown much in his career of getting to the QB either.  He had one season with 9 sacks but outside of that he hasn't really shown much.  His first couple of seasons are very much like guess who, Shaq Lawson.  In his third season he put things together, notched 9 sacks and had a pretty high pressure rate but before that, mehhh.  I say keep both of them.  Talented rotation is a plus in this league.

51 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Murphy honestly hasn't shown much in his career of getting to the QB either.  He had one season with 9 sacks but outside of that he hasn't really shown much.  His first couple of seasons are very much like guess who, Shaq Lawson.  In his third season he put things together, notched 9 sacks and had a pretty high pressure rate but before that, mehhh.  I say keep both of them.  Talented rotation is a plus in this league.

Couldn't agree more. I think both these guys compliment each other and if Shaq has a light come on, DE could actually be a position of strength for us.

Yeah yeah, this is like an annual thing around here.

Likely draft bust admits he’s been underwhelming, promises this is gonna be the year, and then  essentially admits that he’s been slacking by stating that NOW he’s ready to “do work” and “live up to his potential on the field”.

Rinse, repeat.

Show me, don’t tell me.

On 5/5/2018 at 10:26 AM, Rubes said:

Guys like Shaq (and I would also say Hughes) are talented football players, but not the kind that dominate, change offensive game plans, and open up opportunities for other players. They are more the kind of players that can flourish when there is another dominant player on the line, like a Mario Williams. Hughes can wreak havoc when someone like Mario is drawing attention away from him, and I suspect Shaq could develop into that. But without that other player, they struggle, because they are not at that level.

As such, I don't think either one is worthy of a 1st round pick.

We've seen the potential in Lawson, or at least I believe I have. 

If he can ward off the injury bug, he can be a Pro Bowl caliber DE, that I do believe.

He reminds me a lot of Adrian Clayborn.

On 5/26/2018 at 9:24 AM, Green Lightning said:

Couldn't agree more. I think both these guys compliment each other and if Shaq has a light come on, DE could actually be a position of strength for us.

The light coming on would be good but I'm not sure it was very much about a lack of effort before.  

He was a darling of camp LAST year when we were told he was killing the Bills OT's and was the best defender on the field at times........that turned out to mean zero.

He can watch his diet and work HARD all he wants and it won't matter unless he finds a way to improve his HORRENDOUS first step.

Even if he could just not have the WORST get-off of any DL in the NFL that would be an improvement.

I saw that twitter clip of him recently practicing in the yard against some dude pretending to be an offensive tackle and when that tackle got out of his stance Shaq actually got out of his stance with only a reasonable delay.   Not impressively quick and not in pads but hopefully a big step toward addressing a truly debilitating weakness.

If he can fix that and then do a better job using his arms to maintain separation from OT's he has a chance to reach that Melvin Ingram ceiling as a pass rusher.   Not a great pass rusher but a guy who will get paid in FA.

If not he will be hard pressed to maintain what I saw as a Courtney Upshaw floor for him coming out........meaning he will bounce around and get crapped out of the bottom of the league in the next few seasons.    260# DL that can't rush the passer are of little value.  

• Like (+1) 1

Shaq was never known for being a speed rusher, he has solid speed and solid strength. Shaq's problem's seem to be mental, he is the last person to react when the ball is snapped and he is very slow in diagnosing plays. Kyle Williams is the 1st guy to react when the ball is snapped, maybe if Kyle works with him and he works on his film study he could become a good DE.

16 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Shaq was never known for being a speed rusher, he has solid speed and solid strength. Shaq's problem's seem to be mental, he is the last person to react when the ball is snapped and he is very slow in diagnosing plays. Kyle Williams is the 1st guy to react when the ball is snapped, maybe if Kyle works with him and he works on his film study he could become a good DE.

It's no secret around the league that Shaq's get-off is a weakness.    Not sure if I'd call it mental.......neurological is probably the better term.    Synapses firing slow after a period of stillness.

Wasn't just a pass rush issue either......actually saw some plays where teams ran quick hitting sweeps right across his face to take advantage of it last season.    Ran by him at less than arms length like he was standing still.   Typically those plays must be taken much wider which reduces their effectiveness. 

Once he is out of his stance he shows a very good burst to the ball carrier.....he can disengage and leap into a tackle.....it's literally just going from still to in motion in a reasonable amount of time that he can't do.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's no secret around the league that Shaq's get-off is a weakness.    Not sure if I'd call it mental.......neurological is probably the better term.    Synapses firing slow after a period of stillness.

Wasn't just a pass rush issue either......actually saw some plays where teams ran quick hitting sweeps right across his face to take advantage of it last season.    Ran by him at less than arms length like he was standing still.   Typically those plays must be taken much wider which reduces their effectiveness. 

Once he is out of his stance he shows a very good burst to the ball carrier.....he can disengage and leap into a tackle.....it's literally just going from still to in motion in a reasonable amount of time that he can't do.  

Well said. Seem to be a neurological issue.  Watching him in action....he’s a solid player, but he just has zero get off. I still have some hope for him and I hope we don’t trade him.  For a team that likes to keep the DL fresh, he could be a vital piece to that rotation.  I’m rooting for him big time

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Maybe they could get on the line in an upright postion instead of down in a stance?