Keep our picks, draft Kyle Lauletta?

...stranger things have happened......just a hunch McBeane stands pat at 12 and has the top dawgs graded out.....if one or more fall to 12, he may or may NOT pull the trigger.....could go OL/DL/LB and watch 13 to 21 unfold......if (A HUGE IF) one of those top dawgs should be there at 22, he may or may NOT pull the trigger AGAIN......22 could be DL/OL/LB again with him assessing grades of the next tier of QB's as in possibly Rudolph, Falk, Lauletta, etc either at 22 on in the 2nd.......glad I could clear up the picture (COUGH)...............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/10/draft-wide-receiver-wr-first-round-busts-kyle-lauletta-jimmy-garoppolo-chad-kanoff-princeton

Is Lauletta the next Garoppolo, or are we just nearing that point in the draft where anything thrown against the wall that sticks is halfway interesting?

Garoppolo actually sounds like a type of cheese to me so it is odd every time I hear that name.

I think we already have had things stuck to the wall to make potentially 6 QBs from first round already.  I value a QB with quick decision making capabilities but it needs to be combined with quick throwing capability so teams cannot just pressure your QB and him not able to burn them.  I have not heard Lauletta as have the quick throw trigger.   This might mean he will be better on white board than football field.

6 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

NO.  I'm going to the prom with the girl I consider a 10, not the 6 who I settle for because I know I can get her anytime.

I hope that does not involve duct tape and the trunk of you car! :huh:

17 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/10/draft-wide-receiver-wr-first-round-busts-kyle-lauletta-jimmy-garoppolo-chad-kanoff-princeton

Garoppolo actually sounds like a type of cheese to me so it is odd every time I hear that name.

I think we already have had things stuck to the wall to make potentially 6 QBs from first round already.  I value a QB with quick decision making capabilities but it needs to be combined with quick throwing capability so teams cannot just pressure your QB and him not able to burn them.  I have not heard Lauletta as have the quick throw trigger.   This might mean he will be better on white board than football field.

Did you read the link you provided?

This season, Ambrose created a few defenses specifically to trip up Lauletta, presenting bluff coverages or blitzes on third downs, then sending something different after the snap. It took just one rep for Lauletta to counter it the next down.

“He’s still physically talented, but he is a surgeon mentally… he’s so efficient. Look at the gaudy numbers of all the (FBS) quarterbacks have. They also have draftable wide receivers. These guys don’t have that. They don’t have three guys going to the combine. When you’re a 1-A guy, all you have to do is get it near these guys. What Kyle has is incredible accuracy.

“You take any tough ballplayers who are extremely accurate, that’s what matters.”

I asked Ambrose, who called Garoppolo the best quarterback he’s ever faced, if he got a similar feeling from his matchup with Lauletta back in October.

His response: “Oh God, yeah.”

Edited by Gavin in Va Beach

4 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I have a lot of faith in the guys running the show over at OBD now so I'm on board with whoever they get. What I can't wait for is watching a good part of the fanbase have an absolute meltdown the moment the new QB (no matter where he was picked) throws a pick or has a bad game. I can see it now... let's go hypothetical, the Bills get, eh... Darnold... he plays in his first game and goes 15 of 28 for 267 yards, one TD and 2 picks and a couple of sacks. Several people will be screaming: "SEE?!?!?! I told you all! ALL OF YOU DIDN'T LISTEN TO ME!!! I am the message board genius and I KNEW this Darnold kid was a bum!!! A friggin' bum!! Pack your bags, Beane!! Fire McDermott!! 200 more years of no playoffs, I for one will not be around to watch it!!! I am DONE with this team!! AAAUHFUERHFRHUFRHRJHRFODFDFIHD!!!!!!!!!" 

I've brought this up before.  A lot of fans on this board are not mature enough to deal with inevitable rookie struggles.

Can you imagine the hate Goff would have gotten or Wentz during the 2nd half of his rookie season?

Edited by Chicken Boo

8 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No!

8 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

No

8 hours ago, Bag of Milk said:

No, no no!

8 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

No.

8 hours ago, jo39416 said:

MAAAAaaaaybeeeeeeeee....

NO.

8 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

NO.  I'm going to the prom with the girl I consider a 10, not the 6 who I settle for because I know I can get her anytime.

8 hours ago, H2o said:

No, I don't see him going through progressions. It's one read and throw. Or the play breaks down and he's throwing on the run, which he does fairly well. He will have a STEEP learning curve at the next level. 

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

**** NO!

Well then its a yes for me....:rolleyes:

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I've brought this up before.  A lot of fans on this board are not mature enough to deal with inevitable rookie struggles.

Can you imagine the hate Goff would have gotten or Wentz during the 2nd half of his rookie season?

...or how about Peyton's inaugural 3-13 rookie year?............would have easily earned TBD's "Buffalo's bust" label...............

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Oh holy crap. Pitchforks would've been out before the first quarter of their first career start was done. Even if they end up with the kid who turns out to be the best of the bunch, he's still gonna have his struggles... and we're gonna see umpteen million threads about why McBeane made a mistake, why they wasted picks to trade up, why this, why that, etc. etc. Overreaction City!

At this point, I'm just ready for Thursday. Gonna be the most interesting Bills draft in years, plus, Avengers: Infinity War on the same weekend. :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Not just on this board. Bills fans in general. We, as a group, have really lost our way. We're dedicated but not educated. To be fair though, that's mostly the franchise's fault for putting out 20 years of absolute garbage.

One might want to look at Ben Solak's write up on Lauletta for NDT Scouting.  (search on Lauletta, sorry, couldn't find a way to link to his report).

He likes Lauletta, and praises his mechanics and accuracy.  He also notes: "However, he does not have an impressive arm , and labors to reach even 40-45 yards down the field. Without a clean base, his velocity notably falls off, though he still remains competitively accurate when on the run."  Solak concludes: "Lauletta warrants a Draft selection and long-term look at backup in the NFL"

It's hard to keep that clean base in the NFL.  And when a guy starts out being unable to sling it 40-45 yds down the field, one worries where he'll be after a few years of wear-and-tear and injuries - QB with promising careers who fell off a cliff for that reason would, I think, include Chad Pennington and Matt Schaub (and I liked Matt Schaub, too).

Anyway, do I think it's beyond thought that the Bills might use their 1st round picks on other positions, then trade up and grab Lauletta in the 2nd?  No.

But I don't think it's plan A, B, or C nor should it be. 

Picking up a 2nd or 3rd round developmental prospect and seeing what you can make of him is a great strategy for teams that have The Man at QB, or at least a guy who can play well.  It's not the smart move for a team who doesn't have a proven NFL-caliber QB in the house.

19 hours ago, GG said:

Sounds like someone copied & pasted Peterman profile from last year?

Some similarities, but I actually don't think so.  I don't think Peterman's accuracy was as consistent or good with his mechanics; he would sail throws and didn't always drive them.  I think Lauletta has better mechanics and a better arm (maybe someone who has watched him more will chime in) 

But similar to Peterman, he seems to fall into that "bin" of QB with a good head for the game, who may or may not have enough arm for the NFL.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

1 hour ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

I really don't understand the horde all the picks we can and skip a QB in the heaviest QB class we have had for years. When the whole point of trading down and getting more picks was to make a move up and get a QB. -_-

The problem though, is that while it may be a QB heavy draft, all of the top prospects have question marks and none seem to be 'can't miss/must draft'. That's my fear, that we are so desperate to make a splash and draft a QB high that we give up too much. I see the prospects as a bunch of 4 star prospects, and don't think the Bills should pay a 5 star price for one of them, when we have so many other needs at this time.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One might want to look at Ben Solak's write up on Lauletta for NDT Scouting.  (search on Lauletta, sorry, couldn't find a way to link to his report).

He likes Lauletta, and praises his mechanics and accuracy.  He also notes: "However, he does not have an impressive arm , and labors to reach even 40-45 yards down the field. Without a clean base, his velocity notably falls off, though he still remains competitively accurate when on the run."  Solak concludes: "Lauletta warrants a Draft selection and long-term look at backup in the NFL"

It's hard to keep that clean base in the NFL.  And when a guy starts out being unable to sling it 40-45 yds down the field, one worries where he'll be after a few years of wear-and-tear and injuries - QB with promising careers who fell off a cliff for that reason would, I think, include Chad Pennington and Matt Schaub (and I liked Matt Schaub, too).

Anyway, do I think it's beyond thought that the Bills might use their 1st round picks on other positions, then trade up and grab Lauletta in the 2nd?  No.

But I don't think it's plan A, B, or C nor should it be. 

Picking up a 2nd or 3rd round developmental prospect and seeing what you can make of him is a great strategy for teams that have The Man at QB, or at least a guy who can play well.  It's not the smart move for a team who doesn't have a proven NFL-caliber QB in the house.

Some similarities, but I actually don't think so.  I don't think Peterman's accuracy was as consistent or good with his mechanics; he would sail throws and didn't always drive them.  I think Lauletta has better mechanics and a better arm (maybe someone who has watched him more will chime in) 

But similar to Peterman, he seems to fall into that "bin" of QB with a good head for the game, who may or may not have enough arm for the NFL.

That was a really outstanding report you linked to, thanks for that! He seems pretty high on Lamar Jackson, I could be happy staying where we are and drafting him.

Edited by Gavin in Va Beach

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not just on this board. Bills fans in general. We, as a group, have really lost our way. We're dedicated but not educated. To be fair though, that's mostly the franchise's fault for putting out 20 years of absolute garbage.

I edited my comment to "this board" as not to make a sweeping generalization, but agreed.