OT--Erie clsoing in on breaking what was thought to be an untouchable Buffalo record...

Big Turk

12 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

They predict a half inch of snow in DC and the entire city and Government closes down.

Probably can't get bread and milk for a week after that day either.  Meanwhile we get 18" in Rochester overnight and my work was on a 2 hour delayed opening.

Edited by The Wiz

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Amatuers...  An average winter on the Keweenaw Peninsula (Houghton, Michigan) is 240" a year.

All-time record is 390" set in 1978-79.  Biggest ever East of Rockies.

Lowest was 161"

This from our trip up there:

20180327_011125_1.jpg

Interesting... Because Keweenaw County claims 390" and says "could be a record"... I wonder if the two areas dispute their record keeping?

Redfield New York has more then 390” just this year. The record is 76-77 in hooker(Montague) New York. 466” No one east of the Rockies beats the tug hill plateau. The highest in western New York is over 300” in Perrysburg.

Edited by Awwufelloff
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Marquette, MI AVERAGES 204"...

East not even in league with West.  Mount Baker record is: 1,140" (95')

You really need to factor in population.  Say over 100,000 people.  Then only BFLo, Erie, & Syracuse are the players.

Ever see what that do for kicks in Russia... And sled... And big azz bears:

https://weather.com/news/trending/video/snowmobilers-startle-a-bear-in-russias-kuril-islands?pl=pl-the-latest

What a bear does in the woods, I would have done on a snowmobile! (Hope it was a rental.) 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Copenhagan, NY, north of Syracuse on the Tug Hill Plateau, which a few years ago was the country's snowiest place, holds the New York state record for most snow in a season: 466.9 inches, in 1976-1977.

Lake effect off of lake Ontario compounded by increasing elevation going into the Adirondacks. Lake Ontario is deeper than Erie so it doesn't freeze over making for a longer lake effect season. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Copenhagan, NY, north of Syracuse on the Tug Hill Plateau, which a few years ago was the country's snowiest place, holds the New York state record for most snow in a season: 466.9 inches, in 1976-1977.

Lake Erie often freezes over in late January /early February, effectively cutting off the lake effect snow machine.  Lake Ontario, being much deeper, doesn't normally freeze over.  Thus the Lake Ontario snow belt areas to the southeast and east of Lake Ontario typically get buried far more than places in the Lake Erie snow belts.  I'm not going to live in Copenhagen either.