OT--Erie clsoing in on breaking what was thought to be an untouchable Buffalo record...

Big Turk

Erie is now under an inch away from tying Bufalo's "untouchable" record  which was set in the Blizzard of 1977 season (1976-1977) for most seasonal snowfall in US History for a city larger than 100,000 people...the record is 199.4 inches...with approximately an inch of snow there forecasted tonight and tomorrow before temps warm up into the 50s and 60s and the long brutal season looks like it finally has come to an end, can Buffalo hold onto this most magnanimous record??

image.thumb.png.06eaa671aa2d7448a268e2c2869d40dd.png

52 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

One year, when I lived in Mayville, NY, we had 297 inches.  I'm never going to live in Mayville again.

Copenhagan, NY, north of Syracuse on the Tug Hill Plateau, which a few years ago was the country's snowiest place, holds the New York state record for most snow in a season: 466.9 inches, in 1976-1977.

• Like (+1) 1

Amatuers...  An average winter on the Keweenaw Peninsula (Houghton, Michigan) is 240" a year.

All-time record is 390" set in 1978-79.  Biggest ever East of Rockies.

Lowest was 161"

This from our trip up there:

20180327_011125_1.jpg

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Copenhagan, NY, north of Syracuse on the Tug Hill Plateau, which a few years ago was the country's snowiest place, holds the New York state record for most snow in a season: 466.9 inches, in 1976-1977.

Interesting... Because Keweenaw County claims 390" and says "could be a record"... I wonder if the two areas dispute their record keeping?

Waterford pa resident here, just 5 min south of erie....... I absolutely hate snow. don't like first snow of the year. don't need it on Christmas. don't do any snow sports...... but at this point i'd be really annoyed if we ended this winter just 1 inch shy of the record.

lets just go get that sucker!

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Waterford pa resident here, just 5 min south of erie....... I absolutely hate snow. don't like first snow of the year. don't need it on Christmas. don't do any snow sports...... but at this point i'd be really annoyed if we ended this winter just 1 inch shy of the record.

lets just go get that sucker!

Snow is no fun without a sport interest such as a snowmobile.  Also, not bad if you have the toys for cleanup.  Looking to put a blower on the John Deere X500 for next year not that I don't have a way already to deal with snow.

Marquette, MI AVERAGES 204"...

East not even in league with West.  Mount Baker record is: 1,140" (95')

You really need to factor in population.  Say over 100,000 people.  Then only BFLo, Erie, & Syracuse are the players.

3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Snow is no fun without a sport interest such as a snowmobile.  Also, not bad if you have the toys for cleanup.  Looking to put a blower on the John Deere X500 for next year not that I don't have a way already to deal with snow.

Ever see what that do for kicks in Russia... And sled... And big azz bears:

https://weather.com/news/trending/video/snowmobilers-startle-a-bear-in-russias-kuril-islands?pl=pl-the-latest

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Marquette, MI AVERAGES 204"...

East not even in league with West.  Mount Baker record is: 1,140" (95')

You really need to factor in population.  Say over 100,000 people.  Then only BFLo, Erie, & Syracuse are the players.

Ever see what that do for kicks in Russia... And sled... And big azz bears:

https://weather.com/news/trending/video/snowmobilers-startle-a-bear-in-russias-kuril-islands?pl=pl-the-latest

Closer than I ever want to be to a bear.