PAuline: agreement in principle with giants

Just now, ddaryl said:

But this year is not 2005 and the QB that slides to #12 won't be the 1st 2nd or 3rd QB off the board most likely at best we would get 4th choice....   Now unless the BIlls view the top 4 QB's with very close grades you would be better served going up and get the guy your team of scuots and coaches have identified as better than the rest.

This whole sit back an dlet th eqb fall to us mentality is concerning because fortune faovrs the bold

We'll see.  We won't know how good any of these guys really are for at least 3 years.

I don't care what we do.  It's not my call and they're not going to ask me my opinion.  I just hope it works whatever it is.  I'm not a gambler. When I go to Vegas, I watch live music and the Bellagio light show etc.  I don't bet my house payment money on a lucky 13 on the roulette wheel.  I'd like to see us keep the picks probably, but whatever they do, if it works, it will be pure brilliance.

go BILLS !!

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

But in your analogy, it's not just hitting it with the girl in the bar where the investment is basically a few hours and just a little bit of money. But, instead, you have marry her, forfeit your house, agree to the number of kids to have in 4 years, pay for her vehicle, be willing to relocate at any time necessary, be willing to get rid of two of your best and closest friends because she doesn't like them, and ready to forego wild vacations for the next 12 years for someone you've met, and chatted with in an intoxicated condition (QB drunk) over the period of about 3 hours. That's the analogy....

So, you can take the hottest girl with all of this tied to the cost, which also comes with a complete unknown as to how she'll age, what friends she'll bring into her life, what her parents or family is like, if she's way over her head in debt, and whether she's carrying any diseases...

Or, you can take the girl who's cute, not as drunk, fun and smart and says, just take me as I am, no strings, no requirements and I'll give up for you everything I've got to make this work. 

That's full string in your analogy....

And what if that hot girl ends up being the best thing that's ever happened to you because your house was a pile of trash that was decorated from dumpster diving; your friends were unemployed crackheads who stole the last bit of valuables you thought you owned; you moved from the decrepit pit you called home into a place where you didn't have to worry that a little drizzle would pour through the 10-yr old tarp that you masqueraded as the roof; your 4 kids grew up to be pillars of society who took care of all your & wife's needs for the rest of your lives?

That's the real full string of the analogy of not going for the best girl at the dance.

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

We'll see.  We won't know how good any of these guys really are for at least 3 years.

I don't care what we do.  It's not my call and they're not going to ask me my opinion.  I just hope it works whatever it is.  I'm not a gambler. When I go to Vegas, I watch live music and the Bellagio light show etc.  I don't bet my house payment money on a lucky 13 on the roulette wheel.  I'd like to see us keep the picks probably, but whatever they do, if it works, it will be pure brilliance.

go BILLS !!

It all comes down to our talent evalutors.. If they make the right choice nobody will complain... Which is where all our trepedation lies... Can we finally get this one right

1 hour ago, BillsFanMike said:

Please stay where we are at McBean. We need to gather talent and a QB will fall in the draft. It happens every year. Build up our depth.

Part of me truly believes this.  However, the other part of me wants to find out where you live and heckle you all weekend long, just outside the perimeter of your property line.

I am sure you can respectfully appreciate that.

:P

35 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Well, actually it did.   LOL.   In 1983, the Bills had 2 first rounders.  They stayed where they were and took Kelly with the second of those picks at #14.  The one time they traded up (from the 2nd round back into the first) in 2004, they got the booby prize of JP Losman at #22.  In 2013, determined to take a first round QB but not loving EJ Manuel or any of the other duds from that class, they traded back to 16, and Manuel was still there.

BTW, the Bills missed out on Aaron Rodgers because they took Losman the year before and didn't have a first rounder in 2005.  They also had to take Leotus McKelvin at #11 in 2008 instead of grabbing Joe Flacco, and in 2012, they had to grab TJ Graham while Russell Wilson was still available.  The Bills problems at QB over the years hasn't been that they didn't have opportunities to draft franchise QBs because they didn't trade up to get them, but that they repeatedly failed to pick the right player, except once, when they had future franchise QBs available. 

Hopefully, the Beane/McDemott regime picks the right player, whether they trade up or stay at #12.  Getting the right player seems to be a much more effective strategy than simply obtaining any player who plays a specific position of need, no matter how desperate that need. 

No, actually it hasn't worked.

They got lucky with Kelly once, and aside from that their lack of aggressiveness to draft the position has been nothing short of unmitigated failure.  They traded up in 2004 only after being unwilling to give up the bounty that Jacksonville wanted to move down from the 9 slot, which would have allowed them to take Roethlisberger.  Instead they waited and took Lee Evans at 13.

They drafted Manuel in 2013 after trading back...and I maintain that it was the right thing to do.  More than 50% of the franchise QBs in the NFL were drafted in the top 5; the other half come from the remaining 250 picks...the odds are much, much higher of getting a franchise guy in the top 5.  Playing it passive and waiting doesn't often work out.

This team has tried the "let's see who nobody else wants" approach for 50+ years; it's time to try the "we found our guy, now let's go get him" approach.

11 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I don’t really understand why some people have a problem with what the Jets did...is it jealousy? Because if you ask me, I would love it if the Bills were in their spot...they are guaranteed to get one of the top 3 QBs... isn’t that we would want as Bills fans? That’s why I don’t get the bashing of the Jets for trading to 3.

Well, if your aim is to take a first round qb to placate fans and sell tix, then there's nothing wrong with it.  You can't miss.  If your aim is to build a winning team, however, it could be a costly mistake.   What if neither Cleveland nor the Giants take QBs?   Wow, great the Jests get first crack at the QBs, but since they had the sixth pick anyways, how are they all that much better off picking at 3 rather than 6.  Indy wasn't taking a QB.  The Browns aren't taking two.  So, that leaves Denver, which doesn't seem likely to draft a QB with both Keenum and Lynch on the roster.  So, the Jest gave up a lot to get the same or slightly better choice than they would have had if they stayed put ... and they don't control their destiny any more at #3 than they would have at #4.  They bought into the "4 QBs are going to go in the top 5" hype being spewed by the media mavens and got played by the Colts.

That's not even dealing with the bigger issue of picking the right QB in a draft class that simply has a lot of flawed prospects rather than only 1 or 2 outstanding ones. 

28 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I don’t really understand why some people have a problem with what the Jets did...is it jealousy? Because if you ask me, I would love it if the Bills were in their spot...they are guaranteed to get one of the top 3 QBs... isn’t that we would want as Bills fans? That’s why I don’t get the bashing of the Jets for trading to 3.

It's a heck of a lot cheaper to get to 3 from 6 (3 second round picks) than it is to get from 22 to 3.  Of course Bills fans would love to be there but at what price?

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

Bills have agreed to a trade with the Giants. But the Giants don't want to trade! Sounds like we don't have an agreement

I hear what you're saying...how I'm reading it is that we currently have the best deal on the table. The Giants are waiting to see if anyone else blows them away. 

Or...we could be waiting to see who Cleveland picks at 1. Perhaps what the Giants are asking is too much to pay, except for one guy (Darnold maybe?)? 

• Like (+1) 1

Agreed - it comes down to who they value as "their guy".  If they value Rosen or Mayfield, there's a possibility that either is still available at 12, and a strong possibility that they'll only have to get in front of Miami to have their pick of the two.  If they value Darnold or Allen, they likely have to move up to 2 to make sure they get "their guy".

Personally based upon all of the information that's available to the common fan, I'd rather have Rosen or Mayfiled AND 22 AND one of our seconds, AND both 3rds AND next year's 1st, rather than Darnold or Allen and one 2nd, one 3rd and no 1st next year.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, GG said:

And what if that hot girl ends up being the best thing that's ever happened to you because your house was a pile of trash that was decorated from dumpster diving; your friends were unemployed crackheads who stole the last bit of valuables you thought you owned; you moved from the decrepit pit you called home into a place where you didn't have to worry that a little drizzle would pour through the 10-yr old tarp that you masqueraded as the roof; your 4 kids grew up to be pillars of society who took care of all your & wife's needs for the rest of your lives?

That's the real full string of the analogy of not going for the best girl at the dance.

Nice try....but no, not really. Also, please read more carefully....in my analogy I simply said the difference as not taking the hot girl home for a good night, it was taking her home via marriage, not a one night stand. In other words, the marriage analogy is much closer to the football equivalent of trading up and giving up said assets than just taking a chance on the hot girl at the bar for an evening. 

44 minutes ago, Bill_with_it said:

What will Mccoy, the drafted MLB,  and drafted WR do with aj mccarron leading the team or an ej manuel prospect that was settled on? That is  what you fail to fundamentally understand. Barring drafting the Chicago Bear’s or Baltimore Raven’s historic defenses, those picks are worthless regarding the teams ultimate goal to win a championship. 

Noni never stated that you wanted to wait till the later rounds. I stated you were insinuating and EJ manuel pick of proportionality with regard to the QB. Which is settling on leftovers. BTW which round was EJ drafted and how did that work out for us?

I just.....can't.....:doh:

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

No, actually it hasn't worked.

They got lucky with Kelly once, and aside from that their lack of aggressiveness to draft the position has been nothing short of unmitigated failure.  They traded up in 2004 only after being unwilling to give up the bounty that Jacksonville wanted to move down from the 9 slot, which would have allowed them to take Roethlisberger.  Instead they waited and took Lee Evans at 13.

They drafted Manuel in 2013 after trading back...and I maintain that it was the right thing to do.  More than 50% of the franchise QBs in the NFL were drafted in the top 5; the other half come from the remaining 250 picks...the odds are much, much higher of getting a franchise guy in the top 5.  Playing it passive and waiting doesn't often work out.

This team has tried the "let's see who nobody else wants" approach for 50+ years; it's time to try the "we found our guy, now let's go get him" approach.

That they didn't trade up says, again, that the fault was in not picking the right QB; they failed to recognize the qualities that would make him a significantly better pick than Losman.  Furthermore, If they had stayed put in 2004, they would have been in a position to take Rodgers the next year (Bledsoe was still their starter so they could have waited).  They could have also taken Cutler in 2006 who while not all that great a QB was certainly better than Losman, Edwards, Fitzpatrick, Manuel, and Orton.

You ignored my statements that they chose to pass on both Flacco and Wilson when they drafted in those rounds with both QBs still on the board.

Trading back for Manuel only mitigates the stupidity of picking a QB in the first round just to placate fans and put butts in the seats, but it doesn't change the fact that the Bills should have passed on a QB in the first round completely in 2013.  They could have taken Bridgewater or Carr in 2014 and been much better off.   Once again, the Bills picked the wrong guy, and whether they stayed where they were or traded back, it would have made no difference.  They lost out on useful QBs in order to grab a bust.  That's the real story of the Bills' QB woes.

I don't understand if a deal is in place why hasn't it been completed? These reports are conflicting. One guy says giants want Barkley which they will definitely get at pick 2 because the browns are going QB at 1. If this is the case and the giants want barkley there is no deal to be made for pick 2. 1.) Darnold  2) Barkley 3) Rosen 4.) Chubb

The Bills are better off saving some capital and trading between the 4-8 range.  One of Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Mayfield will be there.

Edited by Awwufelloff