AJ doesn't need arm strength

TheBeane

4 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

PETERMAN_of_genius.0.gif

Arm strength matters... Take a look at this weak ****.

Without top shelf NFL arm strength (which Nathan does not possess) such terrible lower body mechanics/full frontal alignment with the target will not get it done in terms of getting the ball there on time. That, and likely a (related) problem with the timing on his drop relative to the route Tompson is running (the receiver should not just be standing there waiting for bad things to happen), is the bigger villain than lack of arm strength as such on this particular play. He probably got away with that in college. Not happening in the pros, especially versus a very high end DB. Adapting to NFL game speed sometimes comes at a cost. Hopefully it's an investment rather than a sunk cost. If you can't get your footwork and timing down you don't even dream of trying that throw. 

Edited by starrymessenger

8 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Arm strength is an overrated factor in QB selection.   

I believe it Accuracy, anticipation, pocket presence, along with quick reading of the opponents defense is something i would much rather have than a guy that can launch a 80 yd pass to end the quarter or the game ...

Pennington was one that had a decent arm but had all that i mentioned above & did a lot for the Jets up until  he got hurt .

On 4/18/2018 at 1:46 PM, ngbills said:

I would not say that. I think its more that a strong arm alone wont make you a good QB. Just like being smart wont make up for lack of arm strength. Each can help hide other things but you need a bit of both. 

Brady does have good arm strength. The "draft profile" myth of Brady being so nonathletic lives on. Watch the ESPN sports science on him. Shows he is much fatser and stronger etc than people try to claim.  

perhaps AJ has more arm strength than people say he does.  Or perhaps Brady's arm strength increased after he was drafted.  

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:33 PM, Mrbojanglezs said:

I think hand size is more important than arm strength in buffalo. Need to be able to grip a cold wet ball

I've always wondered about this.  I grew up playing football in WNY, and I had then and still have pretty small hands.  But I never had problems holding onto and throwing the ball even in the snow and junk.  Granted, I'm not an NFL QB, but especially now that they all wear those gloves is hand size really a big issue, or is it something people use to be overly picky?

On 4/18/2018 at 11:20 AM, HOUSE said:

Tom Brady's Draft Profile 2000

Tom Brady Positives: Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the '99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/anyone-got-tom-bradys-pre-draft-scouting-report.77495994/

Draft profiles talking about slight builds aren't the same as arm strength discussion on a guy who's been in the league a couple years and is going to be 28 when the season starts.

A rookie coming into the league has not fully matured physically and can put on some muscle and increase velocity a bit.

AJ is what he is at this point in terms of arm strength.

On 4/18/2018 at 10:31 AM, billsredneck1 said:

notice his throwing motion and release. it didn't look like it was all he had. nice release. i always thought he was a bit of a pusher with his throws, but after seeing this, i may be wrong about that.

if you look closely at that, AJ was throwing almost off his back foot, which makes this a pretty strong throw.  His mechanics have improved since then, i dont see arm strength as a concern

On 4/18/2018 at 11:26 AM, prissythecat said:

I certainly agree with that.  But going gaga over someone because they can throw the ball 80 yards is ridiculous in my mind.

Of course, but I'm feeling confident Beane isn't someone to just look at that.  Ball placement, IMO, is the most important.  However ball placement without enough arm strength cancels out.  You'r right, in that arm strength alone is not enough.  

On 4/18/2018 at 11:29 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

Anyone who likes Mason Rudolph, this is a warning. This is what you are signing up for. 

Two things: 

Rudolph's arm was timed out as stronger than Peterman, Lamar Jackson and DeShaun Watson. It probably is strong enough for the NFL, but it is considerably weaker than the other top 4.

And I've never seen Rudolph throw with his feet nearly as mucked up as Peterman on that particular toss. Just saying.

He's right.

Tom Brady rarely throws deep. The entire New England offense runs like a well-oiled machine based on timing & accuracy.

You need to get velocity behind the ball, but every QB in the league can throw 10-30 yard passes, and that's where most of your passing game comes from. The occasional deep ball is great, but it's rarely the focal point of an offense to drop bombs all day.

On 4/18/2018 at 11:05 AM, Captain Murica said:

I mean it was a good defensive pass break-up(since it was incomplete but not overturned), that being said, look at the separation Thompson got on him.

Rag arm and all that, but how the hell does an NFL WR wait for a ball to come to him instead attacking it.  Drives me nuts. It’s every team sport with passing 101. 

9 hours ago, dorquemada said:

if you look closely at that, AJ was throwing almost off his back foot, which makes this a pretty strong throw.  His mechanics have improved since then, i dont see arm strength as a concern

i know, i flinched when he did that but then he had that...flick of the wrist thing i didn't know he had.

14 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

perhaps AJ has more arm strength than people say he does.  Or perhaps Brady's arm strength increased after he was drafted.  

I vote "yes"

On 4/18/2018 at 9:50 AM, SmokinES3 said:

I think it actually improved a bit in the last few year watching Cincinnati tape.

When in the last 2 years did you observe this?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BigDingus said:

He's right.

Tom Brady rarely throws deep. The entire New England offense runs like a well-oiled machine based on timing & accuracy.

You need to get velocity behind the ball, but every QB in the league can throw 10-30 yard passes, and that's where most of your passing game comes from. The occasional deep ball is great, but it's rarely the focal point of an offense to drop bombs all day.

Tom Brady threw deep like a mofo to moss

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I vote "yes"

When in the last 2 years did you observe this?

Just watching his tape on YouTube. Looked to the untrained eye as if his ball had more zip on it as time went by. I also read he had been working to improve his arm strength, which made sense.