Any Random dates that stay in your head?

Another Fan

You know besides Holidays, anniversaries, and birthdays.

August 29th does, The 2nd Terminator growing up was one of my fave movies and that was the end date of the world.  Plus where I used to work it was a managers birthday.

Actually it kinda brings me back happy memories 

Edited by Another Fan

December 8, 1980.  The day John Lennon was assassinated.  Actually ... the 9th, which is when I found out.  I was a month away from turning 10-years-old and the news of his death (gently delivered by my mom) devastated me.

• Sad 1

It was the third of June
On that younger day
Well I became a man
At the hands of a girl
Almost twice my age

sing it Mr. Diamond....

and again with it....

It was the third of June, another sleepy, dusty Delta day
I was out choppin' cotton, and my brother was balin' hay
And at dinner time we stopped and walked back to the house to eat
And mama hollered out the back door, y'all, remember to wipe your feet
And then she said, I got some news this mornin' from Choctaw Ridge
Today, Billy Joe MacAllister jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge

Was the dark of the moon on the sixth of June
In a Kenworth pullin' logs
Cab-over Pete with a reefer on
And a Jimmy haulin' hogs

I avoided radon dates but sometimes it was hard to tell.  The stuff is odorless and whether the chick was rich, poor or anywhere in between, radon was possible wherever she grew up.  

By by the second or third date I usually brought a testing kit.  Weird that this came up because I thought I was the only one afraid of this.  I'm not a germaphobe but radon?  I avoid that.

June 25th, 2009.  I was at the park with friends for a few hours and had to leave to go to physical therapy.  Get to the PT's office and overhear the secretary listening to the breaking news that Michael Jackson had died on the computer.  I had been so amped to go see him on his upcoming tour and the disappointment must have been palpable because my PT barely talked to me that session.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

December 8, 1980.  The day John Lennon was assassinated.  Actually ... the 9th, which is when I found out.  I was a month away from turning 10-years-old and the news of his death (gently delivered by my mom) devastated me.

I was 17. I was out with some friends that night. When I came home, I turned on 97 Rock and they were playing a steady stream of Beatles music. I didn't know why at first.

10 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

September 7, 1939.  Battle of Radom, where a Polish operational group was wiped out by the Germans.

Only Radom date I know.

That was two years and two months before the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

• Haha (+1) 1

I suppose that is better than Elvis, he died on the toilet:o

2 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

June 25th, 2009.  I was at the park with friends for a few hours and had to leave to go to physical therapy.  Get to the PT's office and overhear the secretary listening to the breaking news that Michael Jackson had died on the computer.  I had been so amped to go see him on his upcoming tour and the disappointment must have been palpable because my PT barely talked to me that session.

June 1, 2000.  My last (partial) year living in Buffalo.

I was living in a flat in the city along the Elmwood strip.  It got so cold at night I had to break down, after initial resistance, and turn on the furnace.

I will always remember that date, b/c I was saying over and over to my girlfriend at the time "My God.  It's June!  And I'm turning on the furnace!  When is it going to warm up!?"

January 28, 1986.  The day of the space shuttle Challenger exploding.  I was walking into a class at college when I heard about it.  The only time a class was shortened in my college career.  Spent ten minutes getting notes and went back to my student residence to watch the news coverage.  The semester was pretty new yet so not a lot of big work that needed to be done so I just soaked it all in.

5 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

January 28, 1986.  The day of the space shuttle Challenger exploding.  I was walking into a class at college when I heard about it.  The only time a class was shortened in my college career.  Spent ten minutes getting notes and went back to my student residence to watch the news coverage.  The semester was pretty new yet so not a lot of big work that needed to be done so I just soaked it all in.

I remember events, but not dates. I remember feeling sad when this happened, in contrast to how good I felt when the first space shuttle flight of Columbia was a success.

i also remember other events... assassinations of JFK, MLK, RFK.  Moon landing.  Evacuation from Vietnam Nam,... etc., other major events that I instantly knew were significant.