Peterman Works w/ Tom House, Adds Velocity

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he was accurate in college. His college film is filled with horrible inaccuracy.  To me he is a classic case of getting the accuracy badge because he doesn't have a big arm.  It is the classic cliche used to describe QBs with less than ideal arm strength "smart and accurate."  My personal view on his college tape was the arm strength wasn't quite as bad as reported and the accuracy was nowhere near as good as reported.  He played in a gimmicky college offense and you had talking head draft media calling him "pro-ready".  I mean I know it is a thing on here at the moment to say nobody on this forum knows as much as guys who do this working for the networks but the draft media were way off base on Nathan Peterman.  His college tape was horrible from the perspective of a pro-evaluation.  All the "smart, accurate and pro-ready" stuff was just cliched rubbish from people who hadn't put the work in.  He was borderline undraftable.  The way he played in the league was absolutely zero surprise to me.  

we get it, you hate him. there is the browns board to go to if you can't find anything positive here.

1 minute ago, billsredneck1 said:

we get it, you hate him. there is the browns board to go to if you can't find anything positive here.

Grow up. I don't hate him. I hated his chances to be a successful NFL Quarterback before we took him and I don't think there is any evidence yet to change my opinion. I am positive about a whole boatload of Buffalo Bills players and coaches.... Peterman is not one of them.  I wish I could tell you different.  

7 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

What a ridiculous take.  A knowledgeable poster gives a reasoned and honest assessment and you expect him to act like a cheerleader for every Bills' player.  He's been here a lot longer than you and if you don't like his assessment then maybe you should leave instead of suggesting that he does. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I asked my friend Mr Google and that was the sense I got from the results, that "natural accuracy" means something like "we're not sure how you got it there, but you did"

So there's a picture of Peyton Manning in a Bronco's uniform that popped up?

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What a ridiculous take.  A knowledgeable poster gives a reasoned and honest assessment and you expect to act like a cheerleader for every Bills' player.  He's been here a lot longer than you and if you don't like his assessment then maybe you should leave instead of suggesting that he does. 

Hey now, you're not living your mantra: Note to Self: Zero Oxygen for Trolls!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Grow up. I don't hate him. I hated his chances to be a successful NFL Quarterback before we took him and I don't think there is any evidence yet to change my opinion. I am positive about a whole boatload of Buffalo Bills players and coaches.... Peterman is not one of them.  I wish I could tell you different.  

If you do need an account for a Browns site, I have a 'SaviourKizer' account that I have no use for now.

• Haha (+1) 4

58 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Love how people react and predict the future of players, especially QB's, after they started TWO games and one of them was in a snowstorm....

FWIW GunnerBill is one of our residents who actually knows something, and puts in a huge amount of time watching film.

Others would include Buffalo716 and TheBandit27.

So while he might be wrong, and I sometimes disagree with him, realize that he's basing his e v a l. on watching a buttload of games with a careful eye, not just two games in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

So there's a picture of Peyton Manning in a Bronco's uniform that popped up?

Hey now, you're not living your mantra: Note to Self: Zero Oxygen for Trolls!

I don't think he's trolling. He's just flat out wrong in his expectation of everyone having a rosy and optimistic POV on Bills' players the way he seems to.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Plenty of guys don’t actually improve much with time. It’s an assumption we always make but only sometimes see work out

It’s possible that he does not improve but I believe the Bills saw something in him last year to draft him and then keep him. Also, the coaching staff must have seen something in Peterman that warranted pulling the starting qb in the middle of a playoff run. 

Here is what we know:

1. Peterman was expected to be a mid round draft pick last year and we got value getting him in the 5th.

2. Peterman looked pretty solid for a rookie in the preseason games. Enough that there were a significant amount of fans wanting him to start over TT. 

3. Coaching staff thought he was ready to start on the road in the middle of a playoff race. 

4. Peterman started out well in the game against SD but seemed rattled after the tipped interception. He never recovered and was benched for 2nd half.

5. When called upon to play against the Colts in the snow game he performed well in the severe conditions. Not much can be taken from the game but he handled the conditions better than Brissett before he was injured.

6. We know that it is fairly common for rookie qbs to make significant improvements in their 2nd and 3rd year’s. Their is a learning curve and they often begin to feel more comfortable. This is especially true if the qb is willing to put in extra time. 

7. Peterman is self aware (very good quality to have) and knew that he needed to make improvements so he sought out and expert in the field in order to improve mechanics and velocity. 

Maybe nothing changes but I think there is reason to believe that Peterman can at least be a serviceable backup. I know it was a historically bad half but this is such a small sample. Great qbs can have a really  bad half. I say give the kid a little more time before we make definitive judgments that he can’t play the position (the position of a quality backup). 

• Thank you (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, KGun12TD said:

Dang! It ended before it even got started for this guy. He seems like a great kid...I wish him the best and hope he can turn it around...FOR US! If not, then he will forever be Nathan "Five Picks" Peterman.

PT5P agrees. But his bounce back was impressive IMO for a rookie

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, racketmaster said:

It’s possible that he does not improve but I believe the Bills saw something in him last year to draft him and then keep him. Also, the coaching staff must have seen something in Peterman that warranted pulling the starting qb in the middle of a playoff run. 

Here is what we know:

1. Peterman was expected to be a mid round draft pick last year and we got value getting him in the 5th.

2. Peterman looked pretty solid for a rookie in the preseason games. Enough that there were a significant amount of fans wanting him to start over TT.  ( He looked okay and nowhere ready for NFL starting duty)

3. Coaching staff thought he was ready to start on the road in the middle of a playoff race.  (Terrible decision urged by the now fired Dennison)

4. Peterman started out well in the game against SD but seemed rattled after the tipped interception. He never recovered and was benched for 2nd half. (He was historically bad).

5. When called upon to play against the Colts in the snow game he performed well in the severe conditions. Not much can be taken from the game but he handled the conditions better than Brissett before he was injured. (5-10 for 57 yards - He was decent with a couple of nice throws against a terrible Colts secondary full of backups).

6. We know that it is fairly common for rookie qbs to make significant improvements in their 2nd and 3rd year’s. Their is a learning curve and they often begin to feel more comfortable. This is especially true if the qb is willing to put in extra time. 

7. Peterman is self aware (very good quality to have) and knew that he needed to make improvements so he sought out and expert in the field in order to improve mechanics and velocity. 

Maybe nothing changes but I think there is reason to believe that Peterman can at least be a serviceable backup. I know it was a historically bad half but this is such a small sample. Great qbs can have a really  bad half. I say give the kid a little more time before we make definitive judgments that he can’t play the position (the position of a quality backup). 

On to the 2018 draft to acquire a potential franchise QB. 

4 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Here is what we know:

2. Peterman looked pretty solid for a rookie in the preseason games. Enough that there were a significant amount of fans wanting him to start over TT. 

3. Coaching staff thought he was ready to start on the road in the middle of a playoff race. 

4. Peterman started out well in the game against SD but seemed rattled after the tipped interception. He never recovered and was benched for 2nd half.

5. When called upon to play against the Colts in the snow game he performed well in the severe conditions. Not much can be taken from the game but he handled the conditions better than Brissett before he was injured.

To be fair I haven’t been one to swing wildly high or low on him based on a few minutes of play here and there. I think he can be a fine backup probably. I don’t know how much his actual skill set will evolve though. 

13 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

Nope!  We're having a discussion about a player, pros and cons.  Gunner happens to have a negative view of that individual player.

I think he's overly harsh, but I didn't watch nearly as much film of the college QB last year.  But that's a far cry from either "hate" or finding nothing positive either about the Bills or on this board.  And if I had watched a bunch of film and came up with a reasoned refutation, Gunner would listen and consider and possibly change his mind.

We need more of that here, not less.

What worries me far more than Peterman's arm is whether he can develop the brain circuit which tells him to "throw it away!", which seemed to be lacking v. Chargers, and which his NFL draft report also notes.   But hopefully he improved in all aspects of the off-season.

1 minute ago, Putin said:

I think you just answered your own question, 

I didn't; I'd be shocked if he beat out McCarron, let alone anyone we draft.