Peterman Works w/ Tom House, Adds Velocity

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I am going to respectfully disagree with your assessment of that game.  The entire Bills team was pure crap for that game.  Tyrod was HORRIBLE and his stats were absolutely garbage time stats.  The Bills got their asses handed to them beginning at the end of the national anthem and ending when the final whistle blew.

We scored 3 points in 3 quarters of football and 10 points, overall.

That doesn't happen with decent QB play.

He sucked that night, the defense REALLY sucked that night and the Jets pounded us for 60 minutes.

Gug, we lost that game 34-21.  Hotrod threw 2 TD passes.  What game are you talking about?

As I recall the Jets rushed 5 at us all game long and we never adjusted.  In large part, an offensive coaching FAIL.

Just now, Estelle Getty said:

2 of the INT should have been called back for roughing the passer in his defense. And Tyrod would not have won us that game by a long shot.  The Chargers were the hottest team in football at that time and are offense was anemic with Tyrod.  Let's stop kidding ourselves.   

We''ll never know, but carry on ...

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I am going to respectfully disagree with your assessment of that game.  The entire Bills team was pure crap for that game.  Tyrod was HORRIBLE and his stats were absolutely garbage time stats.  The Bills got their asses handed to them beginning at the end of the national anthem and ending when the final whistle blew.

He sucked that night, the defense REALLY sucked that night and the Jets pounded us for 60 minutes.

You can make it up if you want, but the rest of us trying to deal in reality here.

In your world a touchdown pass to Zay Jones in the second quarter may count for 3 points, but for the rest of us, it's 7.   And 15-21, a touchdown, and 7.8 yards per attempt over the first three quarters may be horrible in your world, but the rest of us call it something else.  

5 minutes ago, Estelle Getty said:

2 of the INT should have been called back for roughing the passer in his defense. And Tyrod would not have won us that game by a long shot.  The Chargers were the hottest team in football at that time and are offense was anemic with Tyrod.  Let's stop kidding ourselves.   

No those throws were stupid. He should have been flagged for incompetence. Just floating it up over the middle not once, but TWICE... 

Peterman isn’t half the QB Tyrod is- And that’s keeping in mind how mediocre that is.  

• Like (+1) 1

The debate rages on I see. I still have the same opinion I've had since the start. When the team benched Tyrod it was because something Tyrod was or was not doing. Judging by how much Peterman wasn't ready is a strong indicator of just how strongly they felt about moving on from Tyrod. 

In the end the benching didn't matter as much as people think it did. We still got to see what Tyrod looked like in a playoff game. Tyrod got shut down and knocked out. So a rookie couldn't cut it but neither could Tyrod.

As for Peterman it is what it is. If he wants to take the situation serious and work on his craft good for him. I'm sure he knows how bad he made himself look. I wouldn't blame him for putting the 5 interceptions behind him and trying to improve. I wouldn't put the odds in his favor but I have not counted him completely out. 

At least I know my team won't settle and try new things to be better. It didn't work with benching Tyrod but it didn't make a difference. 

Edited by Lfod

On 4/18/2018 at 12:37 PM, matter2003 said:

Probably a lot...in fact watching Brady there are times where he literally does not even step forward but simply twists his hips to generate velocity...go back and watch some of his throws when there are guys coming at him up the middle of the pocket but he still is able to deliver the ball accurately and with velocity...

It's not always a natural motion that somone would go to...most people simply step into their throws which relies on arm/shoulder strength to generate velocity...when you add in the hip torque to it, you are basically transferring the kinetic energy from your hip up to your arm when releasing the ball and it acts almost like a super charger where you can use much less arm strength to delvier the ball with the same velocity. 

Here is a great article that breaks it down further and explains why its so hard to do properly...it is extremely technique driven...like almost everything in the NFL is...the amount of technique and little idosyncracies that you have to do properly are staggering to an nutrained person watching.  You have to have someone that knows exactly what they are talking about to teach the technique properly and you have to have them be able to critique and figure out how the QB's motion differs from what it needs to be to generate maximum torque...and there is no way coaches in high school or even the NFL will likely have that type of specialized knowledge

http://www.authorityfootball.com/x-and-o-labs-and-the-quarterback-mechanic/

Thanks for this article.  I wanted to bump it because it was such an interesting read!

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks for this article.  I wanted to bump it because it was such an interesting read!

I didn't study it.   I did look at point 4, because I think I understand this point, and the article got it completely correct.   Assuming for the moment that points 1-3 are correct, and they made sense to me, then you can understand why it's so hard to change mechanics when these guys get to the pros.    If you've been throwing with a flawed motion since seventh grade, it's very difficult to reshape all that muscle memory and come up with a new motion that you use under pressure.   It's tough. 

My son was a pretty good high school baseball player with a flawed swing.   We studied and figured out the proper mechanics, and he practiced it a lot.   Stepped into the batter's box in a live game, however, and his swing went back to the old flaws.   Without the right mechanics, he never good generate the bat speed necessary to hit in college. 

That's why I said in the beginning of this thread that I take articles about changed mechanics with a grain of salt.   A lot more people work on their mechanics than actually change them. 

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I didn't study it.   I did look at point 4, because I think I understand this point, and the article got it completely correct.   Assuming for the moment that points 1-3 are correct, and they made sense to me, then you can understand why it's so hard to change mechanics when these guys get to the pros.    If you've been throwing with a flawed motion since seventh grade, it's very difficult to reshape all that muscle memory and come up with a new motion that you use under pressure.   It's tough.

Yes, exactly.   And you have to buy into it 100%, which is another "elephant in the room" issue.  You take a guy who has had a lot of success - set records at his college, won awards, has friends who are big fans, tell him he's the "GOAT" or gonna be the "GOAT".  He's been doing what he does, and getting results. 

Now you want to tell him "change it up".  That will only work if he's 100% into it.  Is he, or is part of his teenage athlete brain saying "yeah, yeah, whadda you know, Grandpa?"

If he does buy in 100% and dedicate himself to change, what's his feedback system for detecting whether he's using the new motion every time?  Does he have a coach or mentor who can actually spot right vs wrong in real time?  When he's off-season, working on it?  Now how about when he's throwing in practice drills with his team?  Now how about when he's throwing in scrimmages? 

And all that is easy vs. throwing under pressure in a game.

Change is hard.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I love how this thread has so many pages about a rookie who started half of one game, and 2/3 of another (in which he played in miserable conditions and didn't choke).

That's it unless you count a couple mins of cleaup duty.

Yet now we can all tell whether he's garbage, accurate (or "naturally accurate?"), out of the league after this year, a future starter, etc.

It was stupid last year, and just as dumb now considering nothing has changed in terms of on-field play. No extra tape is available. No games have been played. 

All we know is he's been working out, training, studying film, and being coached. 

He likely won't even get a chance to start in 2018 with McCarron & whoever we draft fighting for #1 & #2 on the depth chart. Fight about it all you want, but it doesn't change the fact nobody actually knows s***.

Edited by BigDingus

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, exactly.   And you have to buy into it 100%, which is another "elephant in the room" issue.  You take a guy who has had a lot of success - set records at his college, won awards, has friends who are big fans.  He's been doing what he does, and getting results. 

Now you want to tell him "change it up".  That will only work if he's 100% into it, and he's dedicated to enforcing that change on himself every single time.  What's his feedback system for that?  Does he have a coach or mentor who can actually spot right vs wrong in real time and tell him?  When he's off-season, working on it?  Now how about when he's throwing in practice drills?  Now how about when he's throwing in scrimmage?  And all that is easy vs. throwing under pressure in a game.

Jake Arrieta was a young pitcher with a lot of potential.  The Orioles got him and tried to reshape his motion and his philosophy, worked with him for years and never got anywhere.   He moved on to the Cubs, who said "go back to doing it your way," and he became an immediate success.  It's not that the Orioles approach was wrong; it's that it's really hard to have success by changing what the player has done naturally for years.  

57 minutes ago, Gugny said:

image.thumb.png.dc9c4015bfca561ed622b57e2bde85fe.png

this 3 point game?  Oops sorry that was partly why we got the Chargers fiasco. 

3 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I love how this thread has so many pages about a rookie who started half of one game, and 2/3 of another (in which he played in miserable conditions and didn't choke).

That's it unless you count a couple mins of cleaup duty.

Yet now we can all tell whether he's garbage, accurate (or "naturally accurate?"), out of the league after this year, a future starter, etc.

It was stupid last year, and just as dumb now considering nothing has changed in terms of on-field play. No extra tape is available. No games have been played. 

All we know is he's been working out, training, studying film, and being coached. 

He likely won't even get a chance to start in 2018 with McCarron & whoever we draft fighting for #1 & #2 on the depth chart. Fight about it all you want, but it doesn't change the fact nobody actually knows s***.

Of course, but the truth is that the second and last post in almost every thread should be

"Nobody actually knows s***."

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

image.thumb.png.dc9c4015bfca561ed622b57e2bde85fe.png

this 3 point game?  Oops sorry that was partly why we got the Chargers fiasco. 

No, we were talking about the Jets game.  

42 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Gug clearly has the Jets and Saints games mixed up, but that's okay because his posts are also in garbage time.

I actually looked at the by-quarter scores for a completely different game - I'll admit it.

However - I was at the Jets game and witnessed the crap football being played by THE BILLS - not just Tyrod.

But to say Tyrod was good, in any way, shape or form that night is ludicrous.  He and the rest of the team were horrible.