Peterman Works w/ Tom House, Adds Velocity

I really hope he finishes pre-season as the starter, I really do.  I loved what he did last pre-season, and how well he was playing in the snowy Colts game.  McBeane is not going to sell the farm for a QB, get that notion out of your heads, none of these QBs at the top are a lock to be elite, none of them, period.  So start warming up the idea of McCarron or Peterman now so you're not all jumping off the ledge come September.

No, he doesn't suck, yes, he was a rookie, and after 1.3 games...really????  a late round pick and you wanted instant Joe Montana, just add water???  it's ridiculous how people crucify a player's career around here.

It's still way too early to come up with any evaluation on Peterman. Obviously he's not as bad as the Charger debacle nor is he as good as the Colts snow game. Let this play out. If he improves, than keep him as a backup. If he struggles more down the road than release him. It's not like we invested a high pick anyway. I'm just glad the Bills are willing to take chances on QB's , just like the Patriots did on this guy in the 6th round.....

1 minute ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I really hope he finishes pre-season as the starter, I really do.  I loved what he did last pre-season, and how well he was playing in the snowy Colts game.  McBeane is not going to sell the farm for a QB, get that notion out of your heads, none of these QBs at the top are a lock to be elite, none of them, period.  So start warming up the idea of McCarron or Peterman now so you're not all jumping off the ledge come September.

No, he doesn't suck, yes, he was a rookie, and after 1.3 games...really????  a late round pick and you wanted instant Joe Montana, just add water???  it's ridiculous how people crucify a player's career around here.

We are picking a Quarterback in the 1st.  You might want to "warm up" to that.  

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Gunner does as much work on QBs as anyone. He isn’t saying this in hindsight. I will guarantee that he saw MUCH more of these QBs than the average NFL analyst before the draft. FWIW, he has a very similar process of evaluating players to NFL teams.

Gunner also isn’t a prisoner of groupthink. That’s one of the things that I respect most about the draft experts on here (and we have some). They will base their opinions, right or wrong, on what they see on tape. Watson was Gunner’s guy last year. He looks pretty smart on that. He (and Blokes) despised Peterman as a prospect. So far their thorough evaluations appear much more accurate than the talking heads. These guys put in A LOT of work and share their thorough  and unbiased analysis. Just because it isn’t what we want to hear doesn’t make it wrong. 

I'm not trying to say Gunner isn't knowledgeable Kirby.  Far from it.     If I thought he was FoS I'd say so and you know I would.

At this time of the year a lot of people are armchair GM's. 

As I just stated and I bolded your quote.  Its an opinion.  It just funny when fans post a statement as "fact" .  

Peterman is (Bean's Yeah I screwed up) McDermotts first QB pick and I'm not so sure he'd throw the towel in so fast.    

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought Lance Zierlein's profile of him on nfl.com was quite accurate:

"Weaknesses

Inconsistent delivery base causes some throws to sail. Has instances where he short strides and is forced to muscle it to his target. Will float some throws on seams and dig routes. Will have to be mindful to drive the ball on pro level to avoid the ballhawks who are lurking at safety. Has to prove he has enough arm to challenge the same tight windows he did in college. Ball handling a little sluggish in wide receiver screens, hitches and most RPOs (run, pass option). Wants to play hero-ball at times. Needs to learn when to air-mail throw and move to next play rather than trying to get too cute with sideline throws. Can improve overall touch. "

Its like he had a crystal ball 

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Peterman is Bean's first QB pick and I'm not so sure he'd throw the towel in so fast.  

Except Peterman is NOT Beane's first QB pick, is he?

After last year's draft April 30th, Pegula got out a broom and fired not only Whaley, but his entire scouting staff.

Beane was hired on May 9th, after last year's draft.

This will be Beane's first draft with the Bills.

Now, it's said that McDermott was actually making the draft picks last year based on a board put together by Whaley and the scouts with his input.

So maybe Peterman is McDermott's first QB pick and he's not gonna throw in the towel so fast?

But....I doubt Beane feels much "pride of selection" in him

And...while McDermott has very properly NOT thrown Peterman under the bus, the decision to give him a start did wind up making McDermott look very stupid on a very public stage.  We used to call that kind of thing "pissing in the boss's Wheaties".  PIBW, whether it's your fault or not, is not key to entrenching yourself in his loyalties.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Beane didn't pick him.  Beane was not here.  

You are correct,  my mistake.   Scratch the Beane name and I think my opinion still stands  -- 

I don't think that to many teams would willing to discard their 1st round pick in only 2 seasons.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Now, it's said that McDermott was actually making the draft picks last year based on a board put together by Whaley and the scouts with his input.

So maybe Peterman is McDermott's first QB pick and he's not gonna throw in the towel so fast?

I corrected my blunder.   

see my edit 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You have to believe the odds of him becoming that are good though.... personally I never did and still don't. Is there still a chance he becomes an NFL backup that sticks in the league? Yes. Do I consider it likely? No. 

I honestly can't believe that the most controversial opinion I have ever had in 5 years here is that Nate Peterman sucks :D. 

And I think that in my mind sums it up.... I think fans want him to succeed and so have gor unneccessarily angry when I have given an honest assessment of why he won't. 

Gunner,

were you ever a QB or coach ?

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That doesn't not refute the fact that most NFL teams these days only carry 2 QBs on the 53 man roster. 

I've always thought that the NFL ought to allow teams to designate one player on the Practice Squad,  - probably a QB - as untouchable. This would allow teams to carry a young QB, & develop him without fear that he will be signed away. Not trying to hijack the thread, but just a thought.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, billykay said:

Gunner,

I've always thought that the NFL ought to allow teams to designate one player on the Practice Squad,  - probably a QB - as untouchable. This would allow teams to carry a young QB, & develop him without fear that he will be signed away. Not trying to hijack the thread, but just a thought.

I think there are too many teams in the NFL that are "Have Nots" with regard to capable QBs for teams to vote this in. 

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He isn't very accurate either.  He sucks.  2018 will be his last year in the NFL.  

Watch your mouth you’re talking about our starting quarterback he’s very accurate if the old-line were to protect him you would’ve seen that no quarterback is worth a damn When they are on their back.

48 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Peterman deserves more than one bad game in his rookie year before we throw him to the wolves 

I agree that giving up on any young player too soon is stupid.  Especially qb.  

But thr problem is Some Bills fans had unreal expectations for him.  He wasn’t anything special in college. He was a 5th rounder.  His best quality was he was “pro ready” which looks silly now.

if he turns out to be a backup qb, then it was a good pick.

12 minutes ago, billykay said:

Gunner,

That is a really good thought but probably too progressive for the nfl.  The qb play would be so much better if these guys could game reps in places besides the nfl.  Think about all the qbs nfl Europe produced.  I don’t know why they couldn’t do that in the spring in America.

30 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

You are correct,  my mistake.   Scratch the Beane name and I think my opinion still stands  -- 

I don't think that to many teams would willing to discard their 1st round pick in only 2 seasons.

He was a 5th round pick, not a 1st round pick.

1 minute ago, billykay said:

Gunner,

I wish. No I wasn't. I am British and the game over here is still very much a minority participation sport. We had a team at University and I did play a bit of Quarterback and a bit of safety but it looked nothing like what you guys would recognise. It would probably be about 7th grade standard. 

And while I am not a football coach I was a reasonably successful semi pro soccer coach over here and so have some natural coach in me and that is why the more I learnt about football the more fascinated I was with the detail.