Peterman Works w/ Tom House, Adds Velocity

Just now, billsredneck1 said:

well i does make me wonder. if mcbeane says "you have to get a franchise guy"...knowing he had the ammo to go to the top of the draft....why would they scoop up a.j.?  why wouldn't they just wait until after the draft or june 1st and sign a vet for a vet min. 1 yr./ 1 mil. deal?

i'm hearing trade rumors...or possibility of trade rumors, but i'm not gonna hold my breath that these guys are hell bent on getting one of the top 4. i would not at all be surprised if they stand pat and even possibly take a qb 22 or later.

Good question.

One, if you want your pick of the vets, you really can't wait.  Book early for best selection.

Two, and this is probably an important factor - if you really want to maximize the impact of a vet presence in your locker room, get him in early and get him the playbook.  Otherwise he and the rookie are learning the playbook at the same time.

Three, and I really welcome this - I think Beane isn't a one-plan guy.  I think he's a guy who wants plan A, plan B, and plan C.  If he can't come out of the draft with a QB he likes who is ready to start, he wants at minimum a vet who has a chance at playing through a season.  You aren't going to get that off the 1 yr/$1M pile.

3 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

well i does make me wonder. if mcbeane says "you have to get a franchise guy"...knowing he had the ammo to go to the top of the draft....why would they scoop up a.j.?  why wouldn't they just wait until after the draft or june 1st and sign a vet for a vet min. 1 yr./ 1 mil. deal?

i'm hearing trade rumors...or possibility of trade rumors, but i'm not gonna hold my breath that these guys are hell bent on getting one of the top 4. i would not at all be surprised if they stand pat and even possibly take a qb 22 or later.

I think it is because they need a guy who will work with a rookie qb and won't be trying to undermine him, or not help him. Mc Carron will try to beat the guy out, but if he doesn't he will be an asset to the rookie. 

I'm not somebody who believes that they just took McCarron because he was the cheap one left. I think he was one of the few that they wanted.

1 minute ago, billsredneck1 said:

i said this because i for one do not want darnold or allen...or rudolph etc. having to come in due to injury any time after the first snap on opening day. not only do i not want to lose the season ,but for the rookie's sake.

i think rosen or mayfield could handle it, but they are the only 2.

Why?

I mean, fair enough about wanting the rookie not to have to start for a stretch unless they're ready - it's the reason why I personally was against picking up Bradford or Bridgewater. 

But a decent OC really should be able to modify his game plan to allow a rookie to game-manage completion of one game without too much harms, then if you think Peterman is still the better choice to start, you could activate him.

The real problem with Dennison (IMO) was total and complete lack of flexibility and willingness to modify his Holy Book of Plays to accommodate the abilities of specific QB.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep.  Bills opening day 2019. He doesn't have to be active on gameday.... him being on a 53 is your win, but him being on a Practice Squad is my win.

Fair enough BUT, lets leave the "53" out of it please. He has to be on the roster, not practice squad, agreed. But if they increase the roster to more than 53 I still win if he makes a roster.

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Well, strength in the areas you would think doesnt always translate 1:1...

Most of your strength regardless of what you are doing comes from your lower body and engaging your posterior chain properly and efficiently...

Its a combination of both. The most velocity will come from learning how to properly torque your hips and likely from doing hip flexor/posterior chain/lower body work. Watch Tom Brady...he has a very efficient motion where he basically twists his hips and is able to generate really good velocity on the ball.

He was one of the QBs with suspect velocity coming into the NFL

Core strength and hip rotation is important but not the only thing that improves velocity and accuracy.  Now I am not a great athelete, but do play hockey and have been working with a trainer the past four months to improve my shot, velocity and accuracy.  My core is not the problem and my latts have always been strong making for a pretty good heavy wrist shot which really isnt one.  More a pull shot from my latts, hips and legs.  Problem is I often dont have that time or space to get it off.  So I have been working on my snap shot by doing a variety of wrist curls and working on forearm lifts.  Its been paying big dividends.  Able too roof the puck easier with more velocity.  Sauce passes are more accurate and I can get a snap shot off, more wrist forearm action, quicker.  Just saying there are multiple fundalmentals that make stronger arms than you listed.  Depends on what is needed. Marino’s 60 yard flicks come to mind.  Dude had amazing forearm wrist strength.

Edited by North Buffalo

Just now, BadLandsMeanie said:

Fair enough BUT, lets leave the "53" out of it please. He has to be on the roster, not practice squad, agreed. But if they increase the roster to more than 53 I still win if he makes a roster.

That won't happen under the current CBA.

1 minute ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Haha. Okay. Yes.  I wasn't meaning to get you on a technicality.  Roster not PS is fine.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

Brady worked this guy. And Brady didn't have a cannon and still doesn't. Accuracy is key. And Peterman can be accurate. I think you're under selling this guy.

The only QB is NFL history to ever throw 5 INT in a half. I'm underselling him. 

Go ahead and tell me about how the biggest flash in a pan, miracle of a QB selected in the 6th round compares to Peterman though. 

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Who was that? 

Trent

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Whatever else you want to say, this isn't a BS program. House is Brady's QB coach. Has also worked with Brees, Carson Palmer and Matt Ryan.

And speaking of Ryans, he's worked with Noley as well. Nolan credited House in his Hall of Fame induction speech.

House is very much for real. Doesn't prove anything about how much Peterman might improve, but who knows, maybe. A lack of zip has been a major problem for him.

Continue to mention Peterman in the same breadth as the others there. Helps the credibility factor. 

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why?

I mean, fair enough about wanting the rookie not to have to start for a stretch unless they're ready - it's the reason why I personally was against picking up Bradford or Bridgewater. 

But a decent OC really should be able to modify his game plan to allow a rookie to game-manage completion of one game without too much harms, then if you think Peterman is still the better choice to start, you could activate him.

The real problem with Dennison (IMO) was total and complete lack of flexibility and willingness to modify his Holy Book of Plays to accommodate the abilities of specific QB.

i'm sure they have planned for all scenarios, but they damn sure didn't bring a.j. in to sit and mentor a rookie.

there is another thread on trade rumors and i don't know what's up with that but, i'm really starting to get a gut feeling that they will let the draft come to them. it seems like with all the frothing at the mouth with the qb thing, i would not doubt that the top 4 go in the top 5 picks and the bills get locked out....to that extent.  i wouldn't count out the giants at qb.

maybe subconsciously, i'm hoping that we use all our picks...and i do like rudolph.

Edited by billsredneck1

5 hours ago, fansince88 said:

This is what I was waiting to hear. Will watch this later to see what he had to say. Thanks for posting @Thurman#1

So your saying g you would have rather he saI'd he sat on the couch at home?

5 hours ago, fansince88 said:

This is what I was waiting to hear. Will watch this later to see what he had to say. Thanks for posting @Thurman#1

So your saying g you would have rather he saI'd he sat on the couch at home?

No what I'm saying is this message board needs to stop acting like the worst QB in the league hands down, bar none, deserves a 7 page thread.

This fan base is beyond stupid when it comes to QB. It wasn't too long ago a majority here thought getting Goff and Wentz was stupid. Well we will watch them play for championships while we argue over 5th round bums.

I sincerely do not understand why this happens. I grew up in a time where you get credit and the benefit of the doubt if you actually do something to warrant it. A few throws in the preseason? Give me a damn break. 

Edited by Elite Poster
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i'm sure they have planned for all scenarios, but they damn sure didn't bring a.j. in to sit and mentor a rookie.

Bwaha at myself, I'm starting to sound like Rosen's damn twitter feed: "Why"?

Seriously, though, why?  I don't see it as "damn sure" at all.  Beane was very clear that they want a vet in the QB room.  He told McCarron he has a shot to compete for the job.

He didn't say (as Hue Jackson did to Taylor) "Son, you're the starter".  They're paying McCarron $4.9M guaranteed, $3M cap hit this year.  That's within a reasonable range for a high-quality backup.

I think they signed McCarron because they wanted a guy they think they can start all season if they have to, but I actually don't think that's plan A or plan B.

7 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

there is another thread on trade rumors and i don't know what's up with that but, i'm really starting to get a gut feeling that they will let the draft come to them. it seems like with all the frothing at the mouth with the qb thing, i would not doubt that the top 4 go in the top 5 picks and the bills get locked out....to that extent.  i wouldn't count out the giants at qb.

I think there's a real chance they let the draft come to them.  I don't count out the Giants at QB (it all depends upon what they think of Eli and of the prospects).  I just read Eli sold his Hoboken condo for a record price, which could be interpreted as him knowing the Giants plan to move on. 

I don't think it's all that likely that the top 4 QB go in the top 5 picks.  That would actually be unprecedented in the last 20 years of the draft, and I don't think the experts see this as an unprecedented level of QB talent.  The closest was 1999, when 3 QB were drafted 1-2-3: Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, and Akili Smith.  Not names to fill a FO with confidence in that strategy.

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Gunner does as much work on QBs as anyone. He isn’t saying this in hindsight. I will guarantee that he saw MUCH more of these QBs than the average NFL analyst before the draft. FWIW, he has a very similar process of evaluating players to NFL teams.

Gunner also isn’t a prisoner of groupthink. That’s one of the things that I respect most about the draft experts on here (and we have some). They will base their opinions, right or wrong, on what they see on tape. Watson was Gunner’s guy last year. He looks pretty smart on that. He (and Blokes) despised Peterman as a prospect. So far their thorough evaluations appear much more accurate than the talking heads. These guys put in A LOT of work and share their thorough  and unbiased analysis. Just because it isn’t what we want to hear doesn’t make it wrong. 

I also respect Gunner's opinion on these things.....

I think that Peterman is better then he has shown (I know I know.....bar is low) and i would not write him off just yet.

Smart.....does have accuracy in his game.....REALLY needs work on putting the ball in there and not letting it float.  I still think he could be a capable backup in this league.

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Nathan-Peterman-Exciting-To-Learn/857fc723-1a5f-4134-bb88-1856f1bc6943

6'55 and then again later near the end

Peterman worked this offseason with Tom House to add velocity and get better. He was asked if he'd added velocity, he said "Yup, absolutely, that's what it was all about Also keeping your accuracy, 'cause accuracy I think is the most important thing. So being accurate while also being able to zip the ball right in there was critical."

That ought to be interesting to watch.

Definitely interesting.  If this offseason program is everything its cracked up to be, Peterman is going to be breaking defensive backs fingers left and right.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he was accurate in college. His college film is filled with horrible inaccuracy.  To me he is a classic case of getting the accuracy badge because he doesn't have a big arm.  It is the classic cliche used to describe QBs with less than ideal arm strength "smart and accurate."  My personal view on his college tape was the arm strength wasn't quite as bad as reported and the accuracy was nowhere near as good as reported.  He played in a gimmicky college offense and you had talking head draft media calling him "pro-ready".  I mean I know it is a thing on here at the moment to say nobody on this forum knows as much as guys who do this working for the networks but the draft media were way off base on Nathan Peterman.  His college tape was horrible from the perspective of a pro-evaluation.  All the "smart, accurate and pro-ready" stuff was just cliched rubbish from people who hadn't put the work in.  He was borderline undraftable.  The way he played in the league was absolutely zero surprise to me.  

Yup.   There is a tendency for evaluators to get lazy on second/third tier QB prospects.    They don't do the work then just say that he has some developmental traits.   His tape sucked and his play also comes with the caveat that he entered the NFL at 23 so he was far from a raw product.   He also gets credit for being a keen reader of defenses but he's really just decisive........which played well with a fanbase in Buffalo who has seen a lot of careful passers.   Never seen someone get so much credit for being a 50% passer in the preseason.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not worried about the backup.  The backup is AJ McCarron.  Nate Peterman isn't even a lock to be on the roster.  

It is my opinion that, albeit one season, McDermott will not start a rookie day 1 we've seen nothing to suggest that it is a move he would make.   

I see what your opinion is,  but it is still an opinion and not a fact. 

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

It is my opinion that, albeit one season, McDermott will not start a rookie day 1 we've seen nothing to suggest that it is a move he would make.   

I see what your opinion is,  but it is still an opinion and not a fact. 

Maybe he won't. But I'd be shocked if the rookie was 3rd string come opening day.

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yup.   There is a tendency for evaluators to get lazy on second/third tier QB prospects.    They don't do the work then just say that he has some developmental traits.   His tape sucked and his play also comes with the caveat that he entered the NFL at 23 so he was far from a raw product.   He also gets credit for being a keen reader of defenses but he's really just decisive........which played well with a fanbase in Buffalo who has seen a lot of careful passers.   Never seen someone get so much credit for being a 50% passer in the preseason.

Agreed on all Badol.