Peterman Works w/ Tom House, Adds Velocity

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I actually don't think it would be cool give we're paying McCarron to be an upgrade - but I'd be happy for Peterman.  I think he sounds like a good guy and I wish him the best.

Aside from the fact I like Peterman as a person and want him to succeed, it would also save cap space if he won the job in training camp.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Adding velocity is far easier than most draft people want to admit...most QBs coming out of college can add at least 5 mph just from better mechanics and an NFL weight lifting regimen from their rookie year to their 2nd year(1st year if you go by NFL terms).  One of the reqsosn I dont put much stock in that

Is that really the case?

I am not a lifter.  I just know that adding strength doesn't necessarily translate into whatever you want to call it that produces velocity - power? 

Example, my kid used to throw shot put.  She worked hard on her technique, and she lifted weights all winter with the other throwers (mostly football players, which was interesting).  She got much stronger - could lift 2-3x the weight - and the coaches praised her improvement in technique.  But it somehow never translated into improved distance.

So I suspect there's something more to it.

Just now, billsredneck1 said:

i've been on the boards since 2004 and a fan for 45 years.  a reasoned and honest assessment does not include the phrase "he sucks" and "will not be in the league after 2018."

his reasoned and honest assessment is that of an nfl fan and nothing more than anyone else's opinion. also giving draft grades never correlates with where players are drafted.

So what! He's been here at TBD a lot longer than you have and if you don't like his opinion too bad! You have a lot of nerve suggesting he leave. 

10 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Here is my trouble. Your smug and abrasive tone. 

Quite a few posts in this thread are like that. And you are so absolutely  sure. I don't believe that you alone have the power to be absolutely sure how a young QB will turn out 5 years from now.

I think you over state your case, over estimate your prowess and skill, and do it in a caustic kind of way in this thread here. I am not saying you will prove to be wrong, just that you are less believable by a lot, because of how you say things in this thread.

4 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i've been on the boards since 2004 and a fan for 45 years.  a reasoned and honest assessment does not include the phrase "he sucks" and "will not be in the league after 2018."

his reasoned and honest assessment is that of an nfl fan and nothing more than anyone else's opinion. also giving draft grades never correlates with where players are drafted.

So my first contribution to this thread was obviously very black and white.  But I explained my reasoning further down and I have explained my assessment of Nathan Peterman many times over on this board.  Before he was drafted, when he was drafted and since he was drafted.  You can say I come across smug if you like, that's your opinion.  But I absolutely stand by my assessment.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is that really the case?

I am not a lifter.  I just know that adding strength doesn't necessarily translate into whatever you want to call it that produces velocity - power? 

Example, my kid used to throw shot put.  She worked hard on her technique, and she lifted weights all winter with the other throwers (mostly football players, which was interesting).  She got much stronger - could lift 2-3x the weight - and the coaches praised her improvement in technique.  But it somehow never translated into improved distance.

Well, strength in the areas you would think doesnt always translate 1:1...

Most of your strength regardless of what you are doing comes from your lower body and engaging your posterior chain properly and efficiently...

Its a combination of both. The most velocity will come from learning how to properly torque your hips and likely from doing hip flexor/posterior chain/lower body work. Watch Tom Brady...he has a very efficient motion where he basically twists his hips and is able to generate really good velocity on the ball.

He was one of the QBs with suspect velocity coming into the NFL

Edited by matter2003

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is that really the case?

TRUE!

Why can't people "learn" to run fast?  Why can't people learn to throw with "anticipation"?  Why can't people learn how to "speed read" a defense?

All we know is there are bridges that can't be crossed not matter the dedication or effort expended.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

So my first contribution to this thread was obviously very black and white.  But I explained my reasoning further down and I have explained my assessment of Nathan Peterman many times over on this board.  Before he was drafted, when he was drafted and since he was drafted.  You can say I come across smug if you like, that's your opinion.  But I absolutely stand by my assessment.

I get that you stand by your assessment.

But it is an easy assessment. For example I could proclaim right after the draft, that I have run my analysis and I am sure that the Bills will not win the Superbowl this year.

I could then support that with a lengthy thread, in a know it all kind of tone, as if anyone at all on the planet aside from McDermott's mom, was forcefully saying the opposite thing.

And as true as that would probably be, people probably wouldn't want to hear that noise just after our draft . And really anyone who wanted to dispute me and see what happens, would be in a very weak position based on the odds.

Same as you here. You "boldly" predict the hugely more likely outcome. 5th round pick won't be a starter ever.

Who can take that bet? Your post is off topic in this thread. The thread is about his off-season work not if people think he will be a starter of backup. It seems more just like you are saying "I'm right. I'm right. I'm right."

Well I say you are wrong about one thing. Peterman will be in the NFL in 2019. I would like to place a bet on that with you. We can get someone to hold the wagers until opening day 2019 :) What do you say?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Strong take Gunner.  I won’t be as harsh but I struggle to see him upside.  He was the most “pro ready” qb in his class, still got picked in the 5th round, and had one of the worst games in nfl history.  Pro ready means you don’t have a lot of room for growth.  He will get his shot in camp but I would not be shocked if he got cut.

McDermott should send flowers to Andy Dalton everyday because it saved him from one of the worst coaching decisions in nfl history.  

Ha Ha Ha - The worst in History?

WOW - the turnip truck can't be far down the road, Biscuit. You should be able to catch it if you try...

1 minute ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Well I say you are wrong about one thing. Peterman will be in the NFL in 2019. I would like to place a bet on that with you. We can get someone to hold the wagers until opening day 2019 :) What do you say?

If you are willing for the wager to be on an NFL 53 on opening day 2019 I am very happy to take your bet. $50?

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

And while I'm sure there's a lot of group-think in the media and everywhere, guys like Mayock and the other tape monsters were just as high on him as the folks who are more going on highlights and rumors.

IIRC, wasn't there a lot of hype on him after the Senior Bowl too?

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

As for his college film being filled with inaccuracy, I'm not seeing it. Watched the 2016 Clemson and Miami games and saw two or three really bad decisions (all against Miami), and three or four throws that seemed to take forever to get there, causing problems, but overall good accuracy despite the Miami defense consistently pressuring him and making his windows small as well on many or most plays. 

OK, so shut the sound off and watch this.  I just went back and I looked at it and thought the INT and the almost INT right at the beginning of the tape were "bad decisions".  But then I watched again, and I wondered "is that what GunnerBill is seeing as he's just not accurate?" 

I dunno.  I don't have the data base to disagree with GunnerBill, but I didn't think he was that bad in college.  What I thought I saw was exactly what Zeirlien says: hero ball, the tendency to float balls at times, and the weak arm that made balls take a long time to arrive and would give NFL CBs a shot, but overall decent accuracy most of the time.

I admire Peterman for the hard work and dedication he is putting toward his improvement.  Even if things don't work out in Buffalo, I wish him continued success in the NFL - even if it's solidifying a successful career as a backup.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Aside from the fact I like Peterman as a person and want him to succeed, it would also save cap space if he won the job in training camp.

i hope they are ready to keep 3 qbs this year. i think if they take any qb not named rosen, there will be no reason at all to start a rookie this year.

i think a.j. has the ability to get us to the playoffs and ideally we have a qb competition next spring. i also like nate and see a lot of good qualities in him and think he will look greatly improved.

i  think he will push a.j. to be better, as i do not see a lot of difference in their game other than nate may have a sharper, quicker release, yet a.j. has the experience.  it's going to be interesting.