Peterman Works w/ Tom House, Adds Velocity

9 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

To be fair I haven’t been one to swing wildly high or low on him based on a few minutes of play here and there. I think he can be a fine backup probably. I don’t know how much his actual skill set will evolve though. 

This is reasonable. I’m certainly not advocating that he can be our franchise qb but I too think there is a chance he could be a quality and affordable backup. 

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

You imply that you have a better sense for evaluating college qb's than most.     So rank your top 5 college qb's entering the draft this year.   I'm curious. 

Already done, go here:

I disagree with him on a couple of points, and keep in mind his draft grade is where he puts the guy overall on talent, not where he expects him to be drafted.

But it's based on a ton of work.  He had another post earlier where he explains exactly how he grades.

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It would be cool if he somehow came back a much better QB and beat out McCarron for the backup role. That's what I'll be rooting for although the odds are very much against it.

I actually don't think it would be cool give we're paying McCarron to be an upgrade - but I'd be happy for Peterman.  I think he sounds like a good guy and I wish him the best.

It amazes me how hard people are on a 5th rd pick. Just sit back, relax and just hope he proves people wrong. 

People act like we spent a 1st or 2nd rd on this guy and mortgaged the franchise on him being our franchise QB.

Just let him try to develop and support him. 

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It would be cool if he somehow came back a much better QB and beat out McCarron for the backup role. That's what I'll be rooting for although the odds are very much against it.

What are the odds of top 4 QB’s in this draft all becoming franchise , or just good starting  QB’s  ? 

45 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

I've always been good at sports/games involving accuracy and it does come naturally. I guess that's what they're talking about.

I hear ya.  Some folks got it, and some don't. 

But here's what puzzles me then: why give it the adjective "natural"?  Why isn't it just "accuracy"?  It seems as though they're trying to encode some other meaning, but I don't get it.

Adding velocity is far easier than most draft people want to admit...most QBs coming out of college can add at least 5 mph just from better mechanics and an NFL weight lifting regimen from their rookie year to their 2nd year(1st year if you go by NFL terms).  One of the reqsosn I dont put much stock in that

20 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

On to the 2018 draft to acquire a potential franchise QB. 

Bills will draft a potential franchise qb in about a week. Bills are smart enough to not bank on Mccaron or Peterman being the long term solution. We just disagree on whether Peterman can be a quality backup. What he showed in the preseason and in limited action (other than SD) was a poised qb that generally made quick and smart decisions. If he makes a few improvements to his game this season he could earn the right to be our backup and make Mccaron expendable in a year. 

Edited by racketmaster

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He started 2.  I predicted his future before he started a single NFL game though...... in fact before he was drafted.  Everyone will know where to find me if I end up being wrong.  I won't be.  Peterman sucks.  

Not for nothin' but why hasn't the NFL discovered YOU yet?

You seem to possess  a talent that has yet to be displayed on any of the NFL scouting squads.

A real diamond in the rough I'd say. Color me VERY impressed.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, racketmaster said:

Bills will draft a potential franchise qb in about a week. Bills are smart enough to not bank on Mccaron or Peterman being the long term solution. We just disagree on whether Peterman can be a quality backup. What he showed in the preseason and in limited action (other than SD) was a poised qb that generally made quick and smart decisions. If he make a few improvements to his game this season he could earn the right to be our backup and make Mccaron expendable in a year. 

He should have gone to SD instead of LA.  Depending on who the Bills draft, he might not make the 53 man roster. 

23 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Here is what we know:

1. Peterman was expected to be a mid round draft pick last year and we got value getting him in the 5th.

My definition of mid round would certainly include the 5th round. You got you early rounds 1 and 2, mid rounds 3-5 and late rounds, 6-7. I guess you could say we got a little bit of value because we got him at the tail end of the mid round picks?

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he was accurate in college. His college film is filled with horrible inaccuracy.  To me he is a classic case of getting the accuracy badge because he doesn't have a big arm.  It is the classic cliche used to describe QBs with less than ideal arm strength "smart and accurate."  My personal view on his college tape was the arm strength wasn't quite as bad as reported and the accuracy was nowhere near as good as reported.  He played in a gimmicky college offense and you had talking head draft media calling him "pro-ready".  I mean I know it is a thing on here at the moment to say nobody on this forum knows as much as guys who do this working for the networks but the draft media were way off base on Nathan Peterman.  His college tape was horrible from the perspective of a pro-evaluation.  All the "smart, accurate and pro-ready" stuff was just cliched rubbish from people who hadn't put the work in.  He was borderline undraftable.  The way he played in the league was absolutely zero surprise to me.  

60.1% completion percentage in college. Make what you will of it. 

He isn't very accurate either.  He sucks.  2018 will be his last year in the NFL.  

Here is my trouble. Your smug and abrasive tone. 

Quite a few posts in this thread are like that. And you are so absolutely  sure. I don't believe that you alone have the power to be absolutely sure how a young QB will turn out 5 years from now.

I think you over state your case, over estimate your prowess and skill, and do it in a caustic kind of way in this thread here. I am not saying you will prove to be wrong, just that you are less believable by a lot, because of how you say things in this thread.

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He started 2.  I predicted his future before he started a single NFL game though...... in fact before he was drafted.  Everyone will know where to find me if I end up being wrong.  I won't be.  Peterman sucks.  

With basically a 50% chance of being right it isnt really that hard

He isn't very accurate either.

I thought he threw a pretty accurate ball last year, when he made good decisions. If his accuracy right now was his worst trait we'd be excited about his future. Arm strength and decision making were his downfall last year. He could improve both issues as unlikely as it might be.

And I still at least partly blame Dennison for the 5 INT disaster. A rookie QB making his first start on the road with less than a week's notice, it's the OC's job to prepare him and build a simple game plan and Dennison failed spectacularly.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Putin said:

What are the odds of top 4 QB’s in this draft all becoming franchise , or just good starting  QB’s  ?

I can do that.  We'll doecoming a solid starting QB, I don't do "franchise" until someone explains to me exactly what that means.

Let's say hypothetically that 3 QB are drafted in the top 5 as people say (1, 3 and 5), and one is drafted in the 11-20 slot.

The odds of a QB drafted at #1 succeeding are 3/4 (might be 6/10 but we'll go with the higher number)

Top 5: 1/2

11-20: 3/10

That means the odds of them all succeeding are the product: 3/4 x 1/2 x 1/3 x 3/10 or 5.6%

2 minutes ago, jr1 said:

with the CBA, are players allowed to work with the team's QB coach during the offseason?

No, they are not, and IMHO it's a big handicap for young QB coming into the league and something the next CBA ought to address.

There's an article somewhere describing how McCarthy used to work with the QB and how it helped Aaron Rodgers.

He isn't very accurate either.  He sucks.  2018 will be his last year in the NFL.  

Strong take Gunner.  I won’t be as harsh but I struggle to see him upside.  He was the most “pro ready” qb in his class, still got picked in the 5th round, and had one of the worst games in nfl history.  Pro ready means you don’t have a lot of room for growth.  He will get his shot in camp but I would not be shocked if he got cut.

McDermott should send flowers to Andy Dalton everyday because it saved him from one of the worst coaching decisions in nfl history.  

35 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What a ridiculous take.  A knowledgeable poster gives a reasoned and honest assessment and you expect him to act like a cheerleader for every Bills' player.  He's been here a lot longer than you and if you don't like his assessment then maybe you should leave instead of suggesting that he does. 

i've been on the boards since 2004 and a fan for 45 years.  a reasoned and honest assessment does not include the phrase "he sucks" and "will not be in the league after 2018."

his reasoned and honest assessment is that of an nfl fan and nothing more than anyone else's opinion. also giving draft grades never correlates with where players are drafted.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1