Peterman Works w/ Tom House, Adds Velocity

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

No particular reason to think so, Bill. He was pretty accurate right out of college.

Not that improving his velocity automatically means he's there now. But he's got a shot at being around for a while.

1 minute ago, Azucho98 said:

Love how people react and predict the future of players, especially QB's, after they started ONE game.  

He started more than one, and he stepped into a bunch.

I know that isn't a huge space, and QBs often take a next step in the next year, but he has shown less than EJ, and people here wanted that man's head on a pike.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he was accurate in college. His college film is filled with horrible inaccuracy.  To me he is a classic case of getting the accuracy badge because he doesn't have a big arm.  It is the classic cliche used to describe QBs with less than ideal arm strength "smart and accurate."  My personal view on his college tape was the arm strength wasn't quite as bad as reported and the accuracy was nowhere near as good as reported.  He played in a gimmicky college offense and you had talking head draft media calling him "pro-ready".  I mean I know it is a thing on here at the moment to say nobody on this forum knows as much as guys who do this working for the networks but the draft media were way off base on Nathan Peterman.  His college tape was horrible from the perspective of a pro-evaluation.  All the "smart, accurate and pro-ready" stuff was just cliched rubbish from people who hadn't put the work in.  He was borderline undraftable.  The way he played in the league was absolutely zero surprise to me.  

Are you done ??? 

STRENGTHS

Smooth, quick set-up in pocket. Grips the ball with big, 10-inch hands. Poised in pocket and takes the hit to deliver a completion. Will set-up, slide and then re-set before making his throw. Can cut it loose from off-balance angles from bootleg or play-action if he sees a winning option break open early. Full field reader. Works all the way through his progressions. Shoots glances at safeties to keep them in check. Strong natural accuracy. Able to throw receivers open and lead them away from danger. Can pinpoint passes to moving targets in his intermediate work. Has enough arm to work field side, intermediate throws. Great vision. Sees passing windows before they develop. Throws with outstanding timing and anticipation. Can put the ball on receivers' hands as soon as they come out of a break if coverage dictates it. Utilizes accuracy and anticipation to challenge windows on all three levels. Won at Clemson hanging five touchdown passes on their talented stop unit. Good escapability and can extend drives with his legs. Excellent deep ball accuracy completing 46.2 percent of his deep throws.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, J-Bo said:

STRENGTHS

Smooth, quick set-up in pocket. Grips the ball with big, 10-inch hands. Poised in pocket and takes the hit to deliver a completion. Will set-up, slide and then re-set before making his throw. Can cut it loose from off-balance angles from bootleg or play-action if he sees a winning option break open early. Full field reader. Works all the way through his progressions. Shoots glances at safeties to keep them in check. Strong natural accuracy. Able to throw receivers open and lead them away from danger. Can pinpoint passes to moving targets in his intermediate work. Has enough arm to work field side, intermediate throws. Great vision. Sees passing windows before they develop. Throws with outstanding timing and anticipation. Can put the ball on receivers' hands as soon as they come out of a break if coverage dictates it. Utilizes accuracy and anticipation to challenge windows on all three levels. Won at Clemson hanging five touchdown passes on their talented stop unit. Good escapability and can extend drives with his legs. Excellent deep ball accuracy completing 46.2 percent of his deep throws.

Poised in the pocket.  Now that is hilarious. 

5 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

You imply that you have a better sense for evaluating college qb's than most.     So rank your top 5 college qb's entering the draft this year.   I'm curious. 

He has a whole thread on it with his evaluations.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

All of these "offseason programs" are what they are.  Do we so quickly forget that E.J. Manuel was doing these things every year.  It's going to help his "X" or improve his "Y", they said.  Improvement was cited and then we ended up with much of the same.  Will improving velocity help?  Absolutely.  Let's not pretend though while we're talking about it, that that was not the only issue.  If the Bills draft a quarterback, Peterman could go the way of the dodo bird like Jeff Tuel.  Great guy to root for and looked good in camp, but was not great in real games.  Maybe one more year for him after this year and then out, barring an epic demonstration of improvement.

10 minutes ago, Putin said:

Are you done ??? 

Look, my evaluation of Nathan Peterman was done way before the Bills drafted him.  I can pretend I saw something different because my team selected him if you want me to, but that seems to me to be a bit pointless.

I wish I had seen something in his barely better than 50% completion pre-season or his less than 50% completion two starts in the NFL to suggest I was wrong. I so desperately wanted him to play well in Los Angeles because I had had my fill of Tyrod by that stage, but he didn't.  He threw a nice TD pass in the snow game and I celebrated that as much as anyone but he hasn't changed my opinion of him.  I don't have an agenda... I am entirely objective... I don't support a college team I just watch prospects and say what I see.  What I saw on Peterman caused me to give him a 7th/UDFA grade.  I will never "bump" a grade up just because the Bills took a player.  If I am wrong I will still be here and you can all take your shots.  I have no problem eating humble pie when required.  But all I am doing is giving an honest opinion.  Sorry if that offends people.  

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Can you post the one from last year as well? It would be interesting to look at.

I am crap at finding stuff in the archive but happy for someone else to try.  Peterman wasn't on it as it happens.... I posted my evaluations last year much earlier (Feb I think) and it only featured Watson, Trubisky, Kizer, Mahomes and Kaaya.  I only got to Davis Webb and Nate Peterman later in the process and my opinions on them were in a different thread (possibly Bandit's?) but basically I didn't really like either of them too much.  I graded Webb right about where Peterman was taken (end of the 5th) and Peterman maybe as a 7th round flier.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Look, my evaluation of Nathan Peterman was done way before the Bills drafted him.  I can pretend I saw something different because my team selected him if you want me to, but that seems to me to be a bit pointless.

I wish I had seen something in his barely better than 50% completion pre-season or his less than 50% completion two starts in the NFL to suggest I was wrong. I so desperately wanted him to play well in Los Angeles because I had had my fill of Tyrod by that stage, but he didn't.  He threw a nice TD pass in the snow game and I celebrated that as much as anyone but he hasn't changed my opinion of him.  I don't have an agenda... I am entirely objective... I don't support a college team I just watch prospects and say what I see.  What I saw on Peterman caused me to give him a 7th/UDFA grade.  I will never "bump" a grade up just because the Bills took a player.  If I am wrong I will still be here and you can all take your shots.  I have no problem eating humble pie when required.  But all I am doing is giving an honest opinion.  Sorry if that offends people.  

Chances are you are probably right about the final outcome there aren’t many HO QB’s drafted in the 5th round , I just hope the kid gets his shot , they ( coaching staff) must have seen something in him ( during practice) if they were willing to bench Tyrod and start him while having a winning record, 

and just because he may never become a starter doesn’t mean he can’t be a good backup , 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have no idea what it means, actually.  What is meant by "natural accuracy" and how does it differ from "accuracy"?

I've always been good at sports/games involving accuracy and it does come naturally. I guess that's what they're talking about.

1 minute ago, Putin said:

Chances are you are probably right about the final outcome there aren’t many HO QB’s drafted in the 5th round , I just hope the kid gets his shot , they ( coaching staff) must have seen something in him ( during practice) if they were willing to bench Tyrod and start him while having a winning record, 

and just because he may never become a starter doesn’t mean he can’t be a good backup , 

That was a stupid decision made at the urging of the now fired Rick Dennison.

Just now, Putin said:

The staff definitely liked him some.... critical for his future here was how much of that was Dennison led?  Kirby has reported that Dennison certainly played a role in the Tyrod benching decision.  As for whether he can end up as a backup..... I would not say he has zero chance of that.... I think the odds are against him at this stage because he is likely going into camp down 1 spot on the depth chart compared to where he started last year.  Then the question is do the Bills like him enough to carry 3 Quarterbacks? And if they don't, then where does he get a shot?  But is it beyond possibility he ends up a kind of career NFL backup? No.  

1 hour ago, racketmaster said:

I would expect Peterman to be with the Bills for the duration of his 4 year rookie contract. His salary is low and his performance should improve as he gains experience. I see no reason he could not develop into a cheaper AJ Mccaron. 

Plenty of guys don’t actually improve much with time. It’s an assumption we always make but only sometimes see work out