Peterman Works w/ Tom House, Adds Velocity

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have no idea what it means, actually.  What is meant by "natural accuracy" and how does it differ from "accuracy"?

Haha.  It is a fair question. I don't really use the phrase "natural accuracy" but I do use the phrase "natural inaccuracy."  To me the latter is when there is no obvious technical flaw that would lead to a pass being inaccurate (footwork is good, delivery is good, base is solid etc) but it is inaccurate in any event.  I suppose when you flip that you might say someone like Patrick Mahomes might have demonstrated "natural accuracy" in the sense that he was often pretty accurate in college despite the fundamentals being wrong. I did not see that on Peterman's tape in any event.  

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Haha.  It is a fair question. I don't really use the phrase "natural accuracy" but I do use the phrase "natural inaccuracy."  To me the latter is when there is no obvious technical flaw that would lead to a pass being inaccurate (footwork is good, delivery is good, base is solid etc) but it is inaccurate in any event.  I suppose when you flip that you might say someone like Patrick Mahomes might have demonstrated "natural accuracy" in the sense that he was often pretty accurate in college despite the fundamentals being wrong. I did not see that on Peterman's tape in any event.  

I asked my friend Mr Google and that was the sense I got from the results, that "natural accuracy" means something like "we're not sure how you got it there, but you did"

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I asked my friend Mr Google and that was the sense I got from the results, that "natural accuracy" means something like "we're not sure how you got it there, but you did"

:lol: I'd like you to read through an NFL scouting report and turn all the cliched jargon into plain English Hapless.... I am thinking that would be a fun thread!

• Haha (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he was accurate in college. His college film is filled with horrible inaccuracy.  To me he is a classic case of getting the accuracy badge because he doesn't have a big arm.  It is the classic cliche used to describe QBs with less than ideal arm strength "smart and accurate."  My personal view on his college tape was the arm strength wasn't quite as bad as reported and the accuracy was nowhere near as good as reported.  He played in a gimmicky college offense and you had talking head draft media calling him "pro-ready".  I mean I know it is a thing on here at the moment to say nobody on this forum knows as much as guys who do this working for the networks but the draft media were way off base on Nathan Peterman.  His college tape was horrible from the perspective of a pro-evaluation.  All the "smart, accurate and pro-ready" stuff was just cliched rubbish from people who hadn't put the work in.  He was borderline undraftable.  The way he played in the league was absolutely zero surprise to me.  

He was a rookie.

And while I'm sure there's a lot of group-think in the media and everywhere, guys like Mayock and the other tape monsters were just as high on him as the folks who are more going on highlights and rumors.

As for his college film being filled with inaccuracy, I'm not seeing it. Watched the 2016 Clemson and Miami games and saw two or three really bad decisions (all against Miami), and three or four throws that seemed to take forever to get there, causing problems, but overall good accuracy despite the Miami defense consistently pressuring him and making his windows small as well on many or most plays. 

Not saying I expect him to ever be a starter, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

I respect your work on QBs, Gunner, and I only watched the two games, but while I did see the floating, he looked accurate to me.

I'll bow out for a while but will come back to read.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 4

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I will and I stand 100% behind the judgment I had on him last year.  He has no chance of making an NFL starter.  

When do you start working for the NFL?      

Lighten up man.    Let the hate go free.   Worry about the starter and not the backup.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Lighten up man.    Let the hate go free.   Worry about the starter and not the backup.  

I am not worried about the backup.  The backup is AJ McCarron.  Nate Peterman isn't even a lock to be on the roster.  

• Like (+1) 1

The kid took some steps to try and improve. And that's good on him. 

Coming in last year he was way over hyped by a lot of fans and certain media because they wanted ANYONE other than Tyrod. Well, they got that against the Chargers. He was far from ready.

He didn't go until the 5th round last year for a reason. That being he needed a lot of work.  

I'm not saying this kid will be an All-Pro, a Franchise QB, or even a starter in this league. But with some work I don't see any reason why he can't improve and be a really decent back up. Have himself a Matt Moore type career. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

Gunner does as much work on QBs as anyone. He isn’t saying this in hindsight. I will guarantee that he saw MUCH more of these QBs than the average NFL analyst before the draft. FWIW, he has a very similar process of evaluating players to NFL teams.

Gunner also isn’t a prisoner of groupthink. That’s one of the things that I respect most about the draft experts on here (and we have some). They will base their opinions, right or wrong, on what they see on tape. Watson was Gunner’s guy last year. He looks pretty smart on that. He (and Blokes) despised Peterman as a prospect. So far their thorough evaluations appear much more accurate than the talking heads. These guys put in A LOT of work and share their thorough  and unbiased analysis. Just because it isn’t what we want to hear doesn’t make it wrong. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He isn't very accurate either.  He sucks.  2018 will be his last year in the NFL.  

Love how people react and predict the future of players, especially QB's, after they started TWO games and one of them was in a snowstorm....

Edited by Azucho98
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, Azucho98 said:

Love how people react and predict the future of players, especially QB's, after they started ONE game.  

He started 2.  I predicted his future before he started a single NFL game though...... in fact before he was drafted.  Everyone will know where to find me if I end up being wrong.  I won't be.  Peterman sucks.  

• Like (+1) 1

His first game was a historically bad game. All time NFL bad. At the same time, the rumors of a**holes on the OL and the game tape\mic'd up Joey Bosa seem to imply there is a little more at work here. Will he ever be Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady? No, never. He could however carve out for himself a decent backup career. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he was accurate in college. His college film is filled with horrible inaccuracy.  To me he is a classic case of getting the accuracy badge because he doesn't have a big arm.  It is the classic cliche used to describe QBs with less than ideal arm strength "smart and accurate."  My personal view on his college tape was the arm strength wasn't quite as bad as reported and the accuracy was nowhere near as good as reported.  He played in a gimmicky college offense and you had talking head draft media calling him "pro-ready".  I mean I know it is a thing on here at the moment to say nobody on this forum knows as much as guys who do this working for the networks but the draft media were way off base on Nathan Peterman.  His college tape was horrible from the perspective of a pro-evaluation.  All the "smart, accurate and pro-ready" stuff was just cliched rubbish from people who hadn't put the work in.  He was borderline undraftable.  The way he played in the league was absolutely zero surprise to me.  

You imply that you have a better sense for evaluating college qb's than most.     So rank your top 5 college qb's entering the draft this year.   I'm curious. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He started 2.  I predicted his future before he started a single NFL game though...... in fact before he was drafted.  Everyone will know where to find me if I end up being wrong.  I won't be.  Peterman sucks.  

He's already included here along with these other Bills' immortals.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1