Micah Hyde: NFL should fine QBs when WRs sustain helmet to helmet hits

Micah Hyde suggests NFL fine QBs when receivers sustain helmet-to-helmet hits

https://es.pn/2vpJuCx

Those bang-bang plays, it's tough," Hyde said Tuesday. "Start fining the quarterbacks. They're the ones who are throwing the ball right there. It's tough for us [defensive players] to be able to adjust last second to get our head to one side, the other side -- up, down. We're trying to make a play like the receiver is. It's the sport of football."

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Micah Hyde with the dumbest take all year.

Blame the QBs for me lowering my head to make first contact with the WRs head.  

Holy s----t.  His brain is testing positive for CTE before our eyes...

dude kurt warner threw Boldin passes where either he gets killed, or the CB let's up for an easy TD. But yeah, hot take. How do you possibly officiate that.

Just now, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

dude kurt warner threw Boldin passes where either he gets killed, or the CB let's up for an easy TD. But yeah, hot take. How do you possibly officiate that.

Dude, Kurt Warner took far more of a beating than all of his WRs combined ever experienced.  No QB is trying to get his WR hurt to draw a penalty.  That's nuts.

How do you officiate....what? It's illegal (and unnecessary) for a defender to hit a WR in the head with his helmet (now it;'s illegal to hit ANYWHERE by leading with the helmet).

It's  a dumb take.  Don't spear the guy with the helmet.  Pretty simple.  You can't be taken seriously if you claim that any QB would intentionally throw a pass that would result in a helmet to helmet hit.  It's not even possible make it happen.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Dude, Kurt Warner took far more of a beating than all of his WRs combined ever experienced.  No QB is trying to get his WR hurt to draw a penalty.  That's nuts.

How do you officiate....what? It's illegal (and unnecessary) for a defender to hit a WR in the head with his helmet (now it;'s illegal to hit ANYWHERE by leading with the helmet).

It's  a dumb take.  Don't spear the guy with the helmet.  Pretty simple.  You can't be taken seriously if you claim that any QB would intentionally throw a pass that would result in a helmet to helmet hit.  It's not even possible make it happen.

definitely a dumb take. It's just QBs throw dumb passes like that.

EDIT: and I agree with you, just want to point out there's no way Kurt took harder hits than Boldin lol. He has a highlight reel of concussions from lofted passes right in front of the safety.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

I mean.. safe pass as far as only the WR can get it, but also just a helpless throw, and that was a storyline for a Cardinals season IIRC. I don't mean to call out Kurt, but these are the passes I'm talking about. I see Roethlisberger throw these too.

bad throw.. just don't loft it up for the safety to get there right at the catch.

33 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Micah Hyde with the dumbest take all year.

Blame the QBs for me lowering my head to make first contact with the WRs head.  

Holy s----t.  His brain is testing positive for CTE before our eyes...

I'm not sure he's serious about blaming the QB.  He's saying there are other reasons why head to head contact is made other than the defense making a dirty play.

15 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I'm being an idiot. I just think quarterbacks leave their WRs out to dry sometimes. Obviously the DBs can defend these passes better.

plus.. Micah Hyde is like my favorite Bill right now.

Agreed ... I also think his comment was slightly sarcastic and spot on.

Defensive backs are always getting fined for hits, some justified, some the result of poorly thrown balls where WR's adjust to the ball at the last second. We all know the stories of guys like EJ and JP getting their receivers killed. Sometimes it's not the DB's fault.

38 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I'm being an idiot. I just think quarterbacks leave their WRs out to dry sometimes. Obviously the DBs can defend these passes better.

EJ’s specialty 

Edited by YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Martellus Bennett said he would play hurt for a QB like Brady because he knew that Brady wouldn't get him killed. He wouldn't play in Chicago with a lesser QB. 

yep, for all his slant throws Brady never kills his undersized slot guys either. Of course those bogus pick plays probably contribute to that..

17 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Defensive backs are always getting fined for hits, some justified, some the result of poorly thrown balls where WR's adjust to the ball at the last second. We all know the stories of guys like EJ and JP getting their receivers killed. Sometimes it's not the DB's fault.

Agreed

11 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

I'm not sure he's serious about blaming the QB.  He's saying there are other reasons why head to head contact is made other than the defense making a dirty play.

Be sure--he's flat out blaming the QBs:   "Start fining the quarterbacks. They're the ones who are throwing the ball right there."

10 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

It's the DBs fault when he leads with his helmet.

This is saying to the QBs: "don't throw the ball where the DB might lead with his helmet and try to ring the WRs bell".  It's as silly as it sounds--as though there is such a pass.

We aren't talking simply about "getting the WR killed" with a bad throw that leads to a WR getting leveled.  We are talking specifically about head shots.

11 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I mean.. safe pass as far as only the WR can get it, but also just a helpless throw, and that was a storyline for a Cardinals season IIRC. I don't mean to call out Kurt, but these are the passes I'm talking about. I see Roethlisberger throw these too.

bad throw.. just don't loft it up for the safety to get there right at the catch.

That was a perfectly thrown TD pass from Warner to Boldin.  The second defender closed in while the long pass was in the air and then he CHOSE to hit Boldin in the head with his helmet.