Draft thoughts of an Older Fan

With many of the OPs observations in mind, I usually don't judge our drafts until a year or two (or three) later.  

The light draft reading I do hardly compares to the thousands of hours of due diligence put in by the Bills scouting department.  I simply don't have the time nor the resources to research candidates as thoroughly as they do.  

I'll be cautiously excited about every pick.

Great message OldTimer1960! Not sure many on here know the word ameliorate and I certainly won't make things better with this message. I love the Steelers and Bills and it's been interesting to watch the differences in approach to the draft. Pittsburgh never drafts near the top while teams like Cleveland and Buffalo are always near the top half. Somehow Buffalo still can't put together a top rated roster? Why? Let's go back a few years when Buffalo was clamoring for a WR. Everyone I spoke with was going to hang the team if they didn't draft a WR.  No problem, the draft was loaded with great WR's that year and the Bills were sitting pretty at pick#9. Then all of a sudden the Bills traded away two first rounders and a 4th to move up in the draft to #4. First I was in shock then I was excited because I thought it had to be for hometown hero and player of a decade Khalil Mack. But nooooooo they select Sammy Watkins! The whole bar was cheering as if Sammy could put the team over the top. My buddy says "Why don't you look happy, we just got the best WR in the draft?" You should've taken Mack, or not traded up at all, I said.

The rest is history now. Here are the WR's Buffalo could have picked without trading away their 2015 1st rounder.

Odell Beckham

Brandin Cooks

Kelvin Benjamin

Or waited until round 2 and these guys

Davante Adams

Cody Latimer

Allen Robinson

Jarvis Landry

I'm not here to make Bills fans feel remorse. I'm here to say that all the loud mouths that fill these forums don't really know much. Maybe it would be a reach to take Rudolph at #12. But without a QB you're going nowhere. I like Mccarron better than Taylor so that's an upgrade. Rudolph will need at least a full season before he's ever ready to lead the team. Having those two players gives Buffalo a solid shot at maybe a franchise QB. There are no guarantees but they're both are worthy of a chance. With the 2nd first rounder Buffalo can grab a Tackle or ILB. There will be some really good interior lineman and RB's available on day two to target. But the worst thing to do is go chasing after WR's! Chase a QB but never a WR! Look at the Steelers: Antonio Brown- Round 6, Martavius Bryant- Round 4, JuJu Smith-Shuster- Late Round 2

Oh, and if I pissed some people off here......................good! Buffalo's a great city and I love it's rebirth. But It's time for the Bills fan base to step up and act like winners and you will eventually be the winners!

• Like (+1) 2

Good points, OP.

I try to keep in mind, though I don't always manage, that a reach can be a tremendous success if the player turns out to be better than the consensus thought he was. But sometimes time shows that reaches are just wasted chances.

Great post.  How many times have we seen players taken lower in the draft and go on to have great success.  No matter who we pick, I will get behind them 100%.  I had no great knowledge of Tre last year and felt we should have stayed at 10 and taken a QB, but Tre has proven to be a great success.  I do hope we take a chance on one of the big 4 QBs this year, but if it doesn't pan out that way, I will reserve judgement until I see how things turn out.

9 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Have fun with the speculation and enjoy the debate, but if the Bills pick players you don’t agree with, taken a balanced approach to your criticism.  None of us know how these guys will pan out.

Except Nate Peterman.  I knew he sucked.  Because.... well..... he sucks.  

12 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Some thoughts about the draft and our opinions of it.

For 35+ years I have consumed as much draft information as I can find/absorb.  This post is intended to ameliorate a bit the absolute black and white if you don’t agree with me you’re a moron posts.  

It it is great that folks have passion about the team’s fortunes and strong opinions about prospects and what the Bills should do.  However, any of us who thinks that if our team doesn’t do what is “clearly obvious “ to us, then they are incompetent - we are fools.  Sure, maybe our opinion turns out to be right, however that doesn’t mean that the opinion was formed with the most complete information available.  Across a wide swath of posters, someone’s opinion formed on incomplete information is bound to be right sometimes- doesn’t make those who disagreed morons.

I enjoy reading the comments of those who really do put significant time into watching game videos of the prospects.  Still, “the tape that doesn’t lie” may be a big part of evaluations, but there are other significant factors that we don’t have good access to:

- we can’t interview the players to understand their personality, get a feel for how they learn, how dedicated they are

- some here can generally speculate about how a prospect processes what he sees and how quick his decisions are, but we don’t have the benefit of talking to college coaches who actually know what the player was asked to do and how he did it

- we don’t have access to the background checks that NFL evaluators have.  A prospect might be able to fool in interviews, but teams can talk with teammates, coaches, support personnel from college and HS to get a better picture of how a guy works, treats teammates/others, reacts to adversity, etc.

- we cannot really know how much room for improvement physically or mentally any of these prospects have.  We can speculate about what they have/have not done, but if a prospect hasn’t been asked to do something in his college scheme, that doesn’t mean that they can’t do it, but I bet that their college coaches would have some good insights.

- we don’t truly know how competition levels really highlight or downplay a prospect.

- how does the talent that a prospect plays with affect his performance?

For those who rail against a given prospect in round x because draft pundits say he is a round x+1 prospect, get some perspective.  What is a “reach”?  There is so much that goes into a”grade” for a prospect:  

- how do his skill match what you need him to do?

- do his preparation and instincts overcome some physical limitations?

- has he reached his physical peak or does he have room to add strength, improve skills

- does he fit the culture/is he more professional in his approach than maybe more physically talented prospects?

- what is the likelihood he will be unavailable due to off field problem?

- what is his injury history and can he overcome that?

Surely we can all see how complicated and uncertain these evaluations are.  Try to keep in perspective that the pro evaluators have access to information that we don’t.  That doesn’t mean that your opinion might not be right in the long run, but that your opinion is probably based on less than full information.

Have fun with the speculation and enjoy the debate, but if the Bills pick players you don’t agree with, taken a balanced approach to your criticism.  None of us know how these guys will pan out.

Thank You.  Signed...Nathan Peterman

12 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I’m not arguing to take Rudolph at 12, but if they value him, they should not wait to 53.

they may not have a choice, so, there's that.

11 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Bravo.  Us old farts need to hang together.

fan since i was 10. dec.1973 vs. n.y. jets