NEW Bills Stadium question

4 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Open air, in Letchworth State Park.  Follow the money, connect the dots, and buy land now!!

:beer:

For real though, something like the Vikings stadium all day - that translucent roof is something else in real life.  That, and the big doors in the front make it feel like you're outdoors.  Plus it's all new and shiny and nice :D

For those that are interested, roof tech:  https://www.wired.com/2016/09/vikings-stadium-roof/

VikingsStadiumTA-598592738.jpg

So much like the outdoors the damn birds were killing themselves flying into it. 

Just now, billsfan_34 said:

What light? B-lo is one overcast gloomy joint 

Very gloomy. Here in San Diego we have may gray. Imgaine having that all year round. Then have to deal with winter.  

Why and and how do humans live in an environment like that? It is torture. 

Just now, Carter said:

Very gloomy. Here in San Diego we have may gray. Imgaine having that all year round. Then have to deal with winter.  

Why and and how do humans live in an environment like that? It is torture. 

I ask myself that all the time- and moved back from coastal NC! Summers and early to mid fall great- everything else is pure dung.

7 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

I ask myself that all the time- and moved back from coastal NC! Summers and early to mid fall great- everything else is pure dung.

Summers are still muggy, buggy and wet. Not even close to ideal human conditions. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Dome.  

The former Civic Arena in Pittsburgh had a retractable roof.  It was used like 3 times (should have been used more, IMO).  

At any rate, a Dome is great.  Can be used for other things (Niagara Region Final 4, indoor monster truck things, concert, etc.)    

I thought it would be too expensive, building a dome stadium for 8 games a year. But I hadn't factored in the monster truck show revenue.

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm pretty sure you're just saying this rather than actually having facts. Outside of Jim Kelly's era, I doubt the Bills have a greater winning percentage at home in December vs the Dolphins if you could hold for regular home field advantage variables. It's not some amazing win percentage other wise we would all know it, and it'd be put on the TV during every Bills home game vs the Dolphins in December.

Great first post. I'm sure you'll add a lot of valuable insight. 

Okay, buddy, here's the facts:

I started with the 1980s since everybody knows the Dolphins won every matchup in the '70s and included games played Nov 1st and later.  Starting with the 1st game in 1985, the Dolphins have visited 23 times, including 2 playoff games, and the Bills record in those games is 16-7.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Commonsense said:

So much like the outdoors the damn birds were killing themselves flying into it. 

idiots could have spent just a million more on bird crash proof glass if they had listened to the bird lobby experts when they built it, and now estimate spending 10 to 20x more to fix the issue bird conserver groups are up in arms about. Meanwhile local GOV'T just commissioned a 300k+ 3 yr study to study the issue.

5 hours ago, Heitz said:

Open air, in Letchworth State Park.  Follow the money, connect the dots, and buy land now!!

:beer:

For real though, something like the Vikings stadium all day - that translucent roof is something else in real life.  That, and the big doors in the front make it feel like you're outdoors.  Plus it's all new and shiny and nice :D

For those that are interested, roof tech:  https://www.wired.com/2016/09/vikings-stadium-roof/

VikingsStadiumTA-598592738.jpg

I am not an engineer but do good estimations and projections except for NFL mock drafts of course.

Only 50% of the roof in MN is translucent panels.

If Buffalo built one with 100% roof translucent panels it theoretically would let in 100% more light on any given day with same cloud cover.

That would mitigate the typical overcast fall/winter days in Buffalo.

It would approx.(*z*) let in same amount of light when comparing a sunny day in MN vs a typical fall/winter overcast day in Buffalo.

(*z*) give or take 15% or so due to per NFL study that downtown Buffalo lack of light with building shadows. This would be mitigated by having the lights in stadium on all the time.

Edited by cba fan

Wow! Has a domer conversion taken hold or is this thread a matter of small sample bias?  Because this question as you probably know is asked on the board at least once a year. I probably haven't clicked on one of the threads in years because it was a tired argument and the thread title was obviously about whether or not we should build a dome.  BUT I can say rather confidently that when this question was asked 10-15 years ago the answer was at least 75% outdoor stadium.

My vote is for outdoor stadium because the weather helps make games and memories special.  Sure I've been there for the 10° cold night game Tom Brady Patriots drubbing. The 29° freezing rain Tom Brady Patriots drubbing, but I've also been there with my friends freezing our butts on the metal bleacher seats, watching Steve Tasker catch two receiving touchdowns over the Jets, and on beautiful warm fall days with blue skies and puffy clouds rolling through when the stadium feels like the greatest place to be on Earth and the early Jauron Bills strangled the Vikings offense, or the "not terribly cold for December" game when the TKO Bills held the Jeff Garcia Browns to negative yards passing, 

I wasn't there for the snow game this past year but on TV it sure was special. I wouldn't trade all those memories for comfort.

Edited by wakingfane
  • Like (+1) 1

i would prefer open... but more enclosed to block wind with a decent roof for precipitation and crowd noise.  if it is located out of the snow belt, thats a plus.

to me, indoor games are 2 dimensional, and all the same/miscellaneous.

when i see bills highlights for home games, the weather is part of the atmosphere... and i remember how it was that day.  Even the lighting if its a 1pm game in sept or a 4pm game in late november.

i do understand the side who wants a roof.  although the "many other" events justification doesnt hold much water.  i also think retractable would be a waste of money in buffalo

51 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Dome games have a crusty feeling imo. Both in the stadium and watching on tv 

I saw a Bills game and a MLB game in the Seattle Kingdome and they were definitely different experiences.  On top of not seeing the sky and feeling the outdoor air, the acoustics of the game action, like a batted ball, were weird.

I'm for a dome....I don't think going to the snow game in Indy with a child is that much fun, but that's me. I think Offenses play better in domed stadiums, and the NFL is very much geared toward the Offense. Additionally, if the Vikings in Minnesota can host a Super Bowl, with a new dome the Buffalo Bills can and most likely would too. I think *that* is a terrific selling point because it means not only would it happen once, but probably two or three times over time. 

Basically, the dome in a Western NY makes football more fun when the games are *theoretically* going to matter more. Of course playing in the beautiful sunshine in October when the air is a crisp 40 degrees is great. But, that happens MAYBE twice a season...and you still risk the rain or torturous winds and of course, snow. Also, aside from a collapse due to a snow-pocalypse, you don't have to pay people to go shovel out the seats. 

Dome is just the way to go...makes the experience so much more enjoyable. Also, depending on where they build it if it's something like recent domes with tremendous windows, the aesthetics would be pretty great.

Dome for the reasons stated.

secondly I did a quick scan of this thread and may I honestly give my compliments to TSW Board members as I did not see the words "hosting a Super Bowl" anywhere in this thread.

It always sort of annoys because it sounds ridiculous.  The weather yes, but Buffalo also doesn't really have the infrastructure to host an event like that (hotels, etc.).

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

4 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Dome for the reasons stated.

secondly I did a quick scan of this thread and may I honestly give my compliments to TSW Board members as I did not see the words "hosting a Super Bowl" anywhere in this thread.

It always sort of annoys because it sounds ridiculous.  The weather yes, but Buffalo also doesn't really have the infrastructure to host an event like that (hotels, etc.).

They could copy the Jacksonville Super Bowl

model by creating hotel rooms in boats on the Niagara River. 

• Like (+1) 1

People sometimes use the retractable roof stadium in Indy as an example for  what Buffalo should build. Having been there for two Bills games on both occasions it felt more like going to church than a football game the atmosphere was so mellow and quiet . Maybe it is just the culture of the Indy fan base but I would fear the Bills would lose a part of their identity if something like that were built.