What (non QB) position would you pick if guaranteed the GOAT?

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Don’t you think when that pass rusher is “double or triple teamed” they’ve had a massive impact on everything else? There are guys running free and/or extra guys in coverage.

Great pass rushers have the single greatest impact of any positional player on defense. 

If you are guaranteed health, I go with RB.  A GOAT, guaranteed healthy RB is going to handle 30-40% of your offense and will help you get by with a lot less at QB.  It will likely get you into the playoffs most every year, pair him with a great defense and could be the formula to sneak out a title, ala Ravens.

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Don’t you think when that pass rusher is “double or triple teamed” they’ve had a massive impact on everything else? There are guys running free and/or extra guys in coverage.

not if the QB can bail and huck up a jump ball to randy moss or megatron...the CB takes that 'bail  out' option away.  

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Pass rushing DE, hands down. The second most important thing in football after you've acquired your franchise QB is to be able to get to the opponent's QB, especially if he's a franchise player as well. 

This would be my second choice, after WR.  I see a few problems with choosing the DE.  First, I believe it's less difficult (although not easy) to scheme around a dominant DE and, conversely, I think, from a defensive  perspective, there are a lot of things a good coordinator can do to generate a consistent pass rush without a totally dominant edge rusher.  On the other hand, week after week, game after game, a truly great WR (Jerry Rice, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, even AJ Green) opens things up for the entire offense, not just the passing game and I don't think there's really any substitute for that.  I doubt a single edge rusher can have that sort of impact on a game, week in and week out.  Finally, it's a lesser consideration, but I would also guess that the career of a dominant edge rusher is going to be shorter than that of an all-time great WR.   

28 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

not if the QB can bail and huck up a jump ball to randy moss or megatron...the CB takes that 'bail  out' option away.  

Except because he pass rusher took the double team they have Moss doubled. The pass rusher did that (and forced the QB to deliver the ball early). That’s why they are paid like they are.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Edge Rusher.  The NFL is about getting a franchise QB and getting to the franchise QB.

i thought it was all about that for the Lawrence Taylor years as well

WR. If the guy is considered the greatest WR in history he has to put up monster numbers. If hes putting up monster numbers the passing game is good. If the passing game is good the QB is good.

Now, if I was to amswer the question honestly and not just try and figure out how to get a good QB out of the equation, Id go DE (or maybe CB)

Edited by MDH
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i know this is kind of off the beaten path but living on the outskirts of "stiller" country I saw a whole lot of polumalu and the difference in the whole defensive unit when he was on the field vs. not on the field..... he's arguably top 3 all time

I could really go for a complete game changer like that. making momentum setting/game altering plays at all 3 levels of the defense. having the GOAT at that position really would be an impactful dynamic.

I know it's all opinion based but I would take a Ray Lewis over a Polamalu or Revis anyday of the week.  Most LB'ers life time in the NFL is 2X longer than a secondary player.

Edited by Real McCoy

3 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I know it's all opinion based but I would take a Ray Lewis over a Polamalu or Revis anyday of the week.  Most LB'ers life time in the NFL is 2X longer than a secondary player.

for me its a bit closer than you make it out. but i'd be fine with lewis too.... I had to sit through a lot of steeler ball over the years and I think polamalu had every bit the impact that lewis did on the field.... but you make a great point about longevity and that cant be overlooked. becuz everytime you mention troy, you have to when it with, "when he was on the field". his style of play wasn't conducive to longevity or health in general. haha. he missed stretches of time and ultimately didn't sustain a really long career.

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Scenario: You can draft the greatest (non QB) player at his position of all-time. Which position do you pick, and why?

For me, this is a toss up between DE and LB. I think most offensive positions are too dependent on the work of others, while a Bruce Smith or Lawrence Taylor type player is going to cause pain and misery regardless of what the other guys on defense do. One of my favorite players of all time was Barry Sanders, yet as great as he was once the playoffs came teams could shut him down.

When it all comes down to it, I think I would take the greatest LB of all time. It's a lot harder to neutralize him, and if he's the GOAT I can move him all around the defense... Outside, inside, on the line... My DE can be triple blocked or accounted for, although the greats still get theirs. It's a tough call but I go linebacker.

Thoughts?

Although the term GOAT makes me run and reply ANY! since someone to be considered GOAT will usually have a huge impact over a team´s result, the way you described it later , regarding nature of a position, makes me vote same than you! LB

Edited by BuffaLoko

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

MLB. They have the most opportunities to change the game on D. They can blitz and sack the QB, they can disrupt passes across the middle, they can completely shut down a running game. 

Must be why inside LB is the lowest paid position on defense...