Greg Cosell: Josh Rosen >Jared Goff, and best QB in the draft

27 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I think Cosell has learned a thing or two about QB prospects since proclaiming Ryan Nassib the best prospect coming out in his draft class. 

I'd like to get Rosen if for no other reason than to see our resident crusader troll's head explode. 

I think we need to learn a thing or two about Cosell :).   I like him, I respect what he has to say, but he does have his limitations.

For context, that was the QB class with Manuel, Geno Smith, Glennon, and Nassib.  I think part of the problem is when your noise is that high, you have trouble picking out the signal.  I think this class is different - higher signal with the top guys.

55 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Talk about small sample sizes.  Get back to me when you are talking outside of your neighborhood.  Outside of this board where I know hundreds of people I don't know one person who talks NBA.

I didn’t literally mean “around me” like it was only my neighborhood. It was anecdotal, not meant to be a statistic, so sample size was not a concern with the example but it pertained to Central Ohio, since you referenced “middle America.”  I do in fact interact with people outside my “neighborhood.” My point was that the NBA is growing in popularity despite its acceptance of players having a voice. And that the NFL should take note - maybe their ratings would actually benefit. https://www.google.com/amp/amp.awfulannouncing.com/nba/nba-ratings-rise-younger-viewers.html

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think we need to learn a thing or two about Cosell :).   I like him, I respect what he has to say, but he does have his limitations.

For context, that was the QB class with Manuel, Geno Smith, Glennon, and Nassib.  I think part of the problem is when your noise is that high, you have trouble picking out the signal.  I think this class is different - higher signal with the top guys.

Good point. 

32 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I think Cosell has learned a thing or two about QB prospects since proclaiming Ryan Nassib the best prospect coming out in his draft class. 

I'd like to get Rosen if for no other reason than to see our resident crusader troll's head explode. 

I totally agree.  He would be banned after that because knowing his behavior, he will crusade even more and we just don't need that.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I totally agree.  He would be banned after that because knowing his behavior, he will crusade even more and we just don't need that.

I think he would go the 'jeffismagic' route and ride off into the sunset (with or without SDS's help).

1 hour ago, jr1 said:

Mayfield's completion percentage was 8 points higher than Rosen's this season

Mayfield also played from a spread based offense and rarely took snaps from center. All things that help inflate and make the game easier for some QBs. There's a reason people call Rosen the most NFL ready because he's had to take snaps from center and do other pro based things do. Rosen is my favorite QB in this draft. 

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Do any of the same people worried about Rosen's "political" views have the same concerns about Shady? He straight up called our president an A-hole on twitter, for all the world to see and I don't recall the same concerns being expressed about McCoy afterward. 

Makes me love them even more.

Rosen in Buffalo please.

Nobody is questioning that the kid has skills or is probably the readiest to start QB in this year's draft class. He would do really well with a team that has a top offensive line to protect him. His issue is that while he can move around in the pocket very well, he just can't escape it when rushers are on him. Plus he doesn't throw well on the move. 

His biggest flaw from what I've been reading lately is that many think Rosen is falling in the draft mostly because of a durability factor. Many teams simply don't want to take a chance on another Sam Bradford. 

22 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Do any of the same people worried about Rosen's "political" views have the same concerns about Shady? He straight up called our president an A-hole on twitter, for all the world to see and I don't recall the same concerns being expressed about McCoy afterward. 

Mccoy voices what i think a lot of players were thinking at that time especially. It was after his comments about the anthem. There are a lot of NFL players who disagree with our current president ... Rosen may be a hero in the locker room in actuality. 

This may sound uninformed because Tbh I only pay peripheral attention to politics but it is intersting to me that a privileged, wealthy white man is so vocal against Trump. I thought that was his main demographic. Maybe it’s the west coast thing. There are two white kids from wealthy backgrounds in the Ohio state locker room who have always been very pro-Trump and vocally so. It caused a bit of a divide fwiw. I think pro-trump would be worse than anti-trump in an NFL locker room but again I only see the political news on its surface and don’t get too involved. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

Talk about small sample sizes.  Get back to me when you are talking outside of your neighborhood.  Outside of this board where I know hundreds of people I don't know one person who talks NBA.

I work for a very large corporation and there are 10,000 working at this plant alone and all the years I worked here I never had a conversation regarding basketball including march Madness, and this is north of seattle where there Supersonics use to reside and actually won a championship many moons ago... Nobody brings up basketball.....I talk more hockey beleive it or not.

14 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

He's got his own, albeit subtle, anti-Rosen crusade going on over on SB nation. 

https://www.sbnation.com/users/jeffismagic

I think he's far more anti-Rudolph than he is anti-Rosen. He at least acknowledges that Rosen is a pretty good prospect, just not his preferred choice. He believes Rudolph should go undrafted.

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

In all due respect, there are quite a few Buffalo Bills fans in the Central New York area: Utica-Rome-Herkimer area and those are 200 miles away (approximately with Utica being 204)....so, while this area tends to have a number of Jets / Giants fans, Buffalo is well represented overall. I know you didn't mean it as a sleight, I'm just pointing out that merchandise is big in this area as well. 

Seeing I hail from the 315 as do a large portion of family and friends who did not escape - there are lots of Bills fans in the Utica/Rome/Herkimer area...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

If that is true then I would give higher marks to Mr. Beane than to McCoach. 

If faith is a "key attribute" because of a personal belief system then I think you are unnecessarily limiting an already small talent pool from which to choose a player. I think religious conviction has as important a place on the gridiron as it has (or should have) in government.  If OTOH faith is a "key attribute" because it can be a source of motivation that can translate to the field well then fine. But again this can't be the whole story. A player (or person) can find all the motivation needed if he believes in himself even if he doesn't believe in God. 

Specifically regarding Rosen I suspect that his relationship and feelings relative to his community and religion are complicated and evolving (he's a young kid). I know many Jews of all stripes, orthodox and secular, including some extremely WASP Jews (if you perceive me). For every one of them being Jewish is more important than some of them can admit even to themselves. They can react to it indifferent ways, including denying it, but it is always there and perhaps more so than for most other people. It is probably a by product of culture and history. 

Anyway speaking for myself I'd love to have that Jewish atheist suit up as a Bill. 

Okay I will bite...

Faith has no part of government; in the US it is supposed to be separate at least...

What exactly is a Jewish atheist? :blink:

38 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Well shady is a different shade compared to Rosen? Just a thought...

37 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Goff broke a few of Aaron Rodgers records at Cal. I don't see a QB in this draft that has the same talent as Goff.

He was running the Air Raid. He is not even in the same league as Rodgers. He is lucky McVay saved him last year.

I have three QB rated higher than Goff coming out.

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Mccoy voices what i think a lot of players were thinking at that time especially. It was after his comments about the anthem. There are a lot of NFL players who disagree with our current president ... Rosen may be a hero in the locker room in actuality. 

This may sound uninformed because Tbh I only pay peripheral attention to politics but it is intersting to me that a privileged, wealthy white man is so vocal against Trump. I thought that was his main demographic. Maybe it’s the west coast thing. There are two white kids from wealthy backgrounds in the Ohio state locker room who have always been very pro-Trump and vocally so. It caused a bit of a divide fwiw. I think pro-trump would be worse than anti-trump in an NFL locker room but again I only see the political news on its surface and don’t get too involved. 

I agree with most here.  This to me doesn't mean much but was interesting to hear Rosen say in defense that his dad voted for Trump lol