ESPN All-Trades Mock

Virgil

Funny read and completely impractical.  One thing that made me think was the prospect of packaging Shaq Lawson in a deal for #2 overall.  

I’m not sure he’d be worth much more points than a 3rd rounder, but he is old regime.  

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23120758/all-trades-2018-nfl-mock-draft-bill-barnwell-imagines-first-round-deals-all-32-teams

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Barnwell's All-Trades Mock Draft: Wild deals for 32 NFL teams

2. New York Giants

Giants get: 1-12; 1-22; 2-56; 2019 second-round pick; DE Shaq Lawson
Bills get: 1-2

Another pair of former co-workers team up here. Bills general manager Brandon Beane recently worked under Giants GM Dave Gettleman during their time in Carolina, and in fact, if Beane hadn't left last offseason to go to Buffalo, he likely would be in charge of football operations for the Panthers right now. Beane has been stockpiling picks to presumably go after a quarterback in the draft, but with the Jets moving up to No. 3 , his only way to get ahead of Gang Green is to make a deal with their crosstown rivals.

The decision to trade Jason Pierre-Paul was curious for the Giants, given that it seemingly opens a spot in the lineup for star edge-rusher Bradley Chubb at second overall. Gettleman has suggested that he believes Eli Manning can play at a competitive level for several more seasons, so while it's unlikely the Giants will find themselves in a better spot to draft Manning's replacement, they might be comfortable rolling with their 37-year-old starter and upgrading the team around him.

They can do that by drafting Chubb or Notre Dame guard Quenton Nelson at No. 2, but after years of disastrous drafts under Jerry Reese, the Giants have more than one hole to fill. If they want to roll with Eli, trading down would give them the ability to draft multiple offensive linemen with a shot of making an impact on this year's roster. This deal also would let them take a flier on Lawson, a solid run defender who hasn't been healthy or effective as an edge rusher after being drafted in the first round by Doug Whaley in 2016. Then they could make another move depending on what happens at the top of the draft. If they're interested in Nelson or a quarterback like Baker Mayfield, maybe they use some of these picks to trade up with the Colts and move from 12 to six.

Buffalo has no shot of moving to the top spot, but this is the next best thing. Beane has to give up both of his first-round picks and a second-rounder this year and next, but the Bills would still have at least one pick in each round of this year's draft. Buffalo can draft its quarterback of the future without having to entirely mortgage that future in the process.

That is a fair trade.  I think Lawson is a fat slow bust as a pass rusher but a serviceable DE.  Adding Lawson and a 2019 #2 instead of a 2019 #1 seems fair.

I still think it will be 12, 22, and 2019 #1 to get to #2 and keep the rest of the 2018 picks.

• Like (+1) 2

If we are adamant about moving up i really hope we don't move that 2019 1st rounder. 

The roster as currently constructed looks like a bottom tier offense. Unless that #2 pick comes in and tears the league apart i don't see the firepower to score enough TD's to win. I would be extremely cautious throwing a rookie QB into the fire behind this o-line. 

An unpopular idea might be to add McCoy into the deal for #2. We'd take a step back in the running game but a step forward in keeping a draft pick. Behind this o-line, lack of WR quality, and unknown QB play McCoy may be in tough to replicate his success from 2017. Could be a "sell while the iron is still hot" in this case. 

Do not move that 2019 1st rounder please.