NFL and NFLPA Have Prohibited Ten Helmet Models

NFL, NFLPA Prohibit 10 Helmet Models After Study

The NFL and NFL Players Association will prohibit 10 helmet models from being worn by players this season based on the results of an annual laboratory study used to assess the performance of helmets being worn by players.

New NFL players and players who didn't wear the prohibited helmets in 2017 won't be allowed to wear them in 2018. Full phaseout is expected after 2018, per Jeff Miller, NFL Senior Vice President of Health and Safety Policy.

About 200 players wore helmets last season that now would be in the prohibited category. The NFL and NFLPA expect many of those players will stop wearing those helmets immediately, per NFL Network's Tom Pelissero.

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Helmet technology doesn't stop inertia from existing; as long as that is around, there will be brain trauma in the NFL.

Sure.   But better tech can reduce the risk.   There’s some interesting things happen in the world of helmet technology.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Curiously, I read that one of those helmets is the choice helmet of Brees and Brady.

I've noticed Brady's choice of helmet is decidedly old school.  Never noticed Brees, but don't see many NO games. It looks like an early '90s helmet to me. 

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Sure.   But better tech can reduce the risk.   There’s some interesting things happen in the world of helmet technology.

Until they invent a way to stop the brain from smashing the inside of the skull,  I don't see how different helmets will make that much of a difference.  Seems to me that they are trying to do something just for the appearance of actually doing something.  

Kinda reminds me how people like to say that speed kills.  In actuality, it's the sudden stop that gets ya.

Edited by Sig1Hunter

4 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Curiously, I read that one of those helmets is the choice helmet of Brees and Brady.

I guess Brady will have to retire after this year. He won't get his favorite helmet anymore!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Until they invent a way to stop the brain from smashing the inside of the skull,  I don't see how different helmets will make that much of a difference.  Seems to me that they are trying to do something just for the appearance of actually doing something.  

Does this make anyone think that at some point in the distant future pro football will be played without helmets?  Is this the only way to stop players from using their heads as a weapon?

Edited by Epstein's Mother