A Different Josh Allen Perspective For People Who Actually Care About Reality

I have no problem freely admitting I want nothing to do with him and I see bust 1000% of the way, BUT if he works out I was wrong. He seems like a good kid at least so I have no qualms against him I just don't buy the argument he is worth picking in 2nd after watching tape let alone the 1st.

Now to counter your points

"FACT CHECK:

Josh Allen "wasn't good" in college: FALSE"

If your going off of strictly W/Ls then he actually should be ahead of Rosen. He has tremendous talent but you want to see a QB progress numbers wise throughout college. He plateaued and the truth is only Matt Stafford in the last decade plus has succeeded despite a sub 60% passing percentage straight up.

"FACT CHECK:

Josh Allen had no weapons in 2017: TRUE"

So what your saying is a guy who I want to have as my franchise QB who I would expect some seasons to lift up a limited roster and raise the play of his teammates couldn't do so as a Junior against the MWC. That does not instill the type of confidence I want as a GM. The college game especially is geared for QBs to have big numbers yet he had a number of games where he couldn't even break 200 yards. We just dumped a QB who had issues with that and now we want to bring in a replacement who also struggles with that? Remember this Ben Rothlisberger had just as little talent and still lit Miami U on fire. If I am drafting a QB from a non power conference I want to see numbers like Big Ben or Carson Wentz.

"FACT CHECK:

There is more to Josh Allen than his "strong arm" and "big hands": TRUE"

Here are 3 QBs we recently drafted or acquired that had the bodies and physique to destroy and instead imploded: Rob Johnson, JP Losman, & EJ Manuel. Everyone of those QB's could bomb the ball downfield, but touch passes, medium accuracy throws, making reads under pressure, etc... they all failed. I have watched his tape and he is atrocious at looking off defenders and tries forcing throws because he is that strong. That is incredibly hard to coach out of a player.

Now I do agree the Jamarcus Russell takes are stupid, he certainly has seemed to be a hardworker and good leader which matters. I also agree that he needs to go somewhere that he can sit for at least a year preferably two to truly get time to develop which is why I want the Bills to not draft him. Buffalo is more or less expecting that whoever we draft can start week 1 (disagree if you want but that is the expectation IMO) for Allen that would be a nightmare. I do think if he went somewhere like SD, NYG etc.. he could actually be decent assuming he fixes his flaws. And also in the end I like many have no clue because none of us can predict anything, but I see a massive bust if he is not handled correctly.

Edited by corta765
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

One thing I will say is that Allen's completion percentage would easily be in the 60s had Wyoming attempted more high percentage throws (screens, bubble screens, etc.)

I see very few Allen detractors bring up the completion percentage. When we say he's inaccurate it has nothing to do with his completion percentage. EJ Manuel was at 66.9% in college. So yes we understand the team and offense you play on will affect your stats. But on the TAPE Manuel had very spotty ball placement and Allen is the same way.

15 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Darnold with his loopy release that he has to bring it up from his side to throw might do okay in College...

However, I don't see him being this great starting QB that the scouts are raving about as he has far, far too many turnovers. I don't see him as a cold weather guy and with all those fumbles he reminds me of Mr. ButtFumble Mark Sanchez. 

I won't lie, I like Darnold a lot but the Sanchez comparison scares me a little. Although Sanchez was only a one year starter at USC and he was 2 inches shorter.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Mr. ChumChums said:

Yes, let’s build around him now. Don’t make the mistake he colts did with luck and put a Swiss cheese line in front of him

The Colts mistake was having the worst GM in the league, and letting him stay for almost 6 years. I trust Beane way more than Grigson.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Looks like Biff from Tonawanda made a new account.

Biff from Tonawanda, Gus from Lockport, Ralph from Blasdell... I’m so sick of hearing people weigh in on Josh Allen who have no idea what they’re talking about.  Again, the idea that he “wasn’t even good in college” is laughable.  He was REALLY good in 2016.  Particularly for a first year starter.  Four of the six guys on cbssports.com had him as the #1 overall pick in their final mocks.  But Skip from Lewiston thinks he sucks.  Just wait til training camp- he will win everybody over when he is a man amongst boys (McCarron and Peterman).  And I still think they should shelve him for a year.  But just wait and see how quickly the sentiment will change amongst the fan base...

Edited by metzelaars_lives
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Biff from Tonawanda, Gus from Lockport, Ralph from Blasdell... I’m so sick of hearing people weigh in on Josh Allen who have no idea what they’re talking about.  Again, the idea that he “wasn’t even good in college” is laughable.  He was REALLY good in 2016.  Particularly for a first year starter.  Four of the six guys on cbssports.com had him as the #1 overall pick in their final mocks.  But Skip from Lewiston thinks he sucks.  Just wait til training camp- he will win everybody over when he is a man amongst boys (McCarron and Peterman).  And I still think they should shelve him for a year.  But just wait and see how quickly the sentiment will change amongst the fan base...

I cant wait for camp!

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks Metz for the write up. I read the entire original post before realizing it was done on the 16th. 

I am really coming around to Allen. Part because he plays for team I love, part because Beane and McDermott like him, and part because the more homework I do on him I think Allen has a real chance to be special. This write up helped. I knew the talent level was down in ‘17 verse ‘16 but didn’t realize how much. 

Allen has all the tools. We need coaches that can reach him and help bring out what he can be. I believe we have the right kind of coaches now that can do that. Just like Carroll played a huge roll in Wilson being who he is , McDermott holds to some degree that same responsibility for Allen’s pro future. McDermott gets what a privilege it is to lead these men and be a HC in the NFL. 

Excited for the first time in a long time about who we got at QB and where this team is going. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Rubes said:

Missed this the first time around. Nice writeup, thanks @metzelaars_lives.

As did I.

Good read.

Spot on how I feel about him.

I was a bit upset at first, and a little miffed in hindsight that AZ got Rosen later for a 3rd and 5th, when we paid both 2nds...

The Edwards highway robbery we pulled off though offsets that!!

Go Allen, go Edmunds, go go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

I too now live here in Denver area from WNY.  I also have 2 boys attending Colorado State, so am pretty familiar with Mountain West football.

I respectfully disagree with your about Allen.  I don’t think he was ever good in his college career.  There is not a number out there from his career that says he will be a good NFL QB.  It felt so much worse that they selected Allen with Rosen on the board.  Comparing the two QBs football wise is really a joke and they played almost the same amount of games in their college careers.  The article I am including in this post was really good and eye opening with its depth of analysis.

All of this was BEFORE the tweets came out which I find inexcusable.  So taking Allen over Rosen was not a football decision, because the choice football wise is not close.  But yeah, at least the Bills still have their “process” and their “football, faith, and family” right?

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/24/17271686/josh-allen-nfl-draft-2018-stats-analysis-comparisons

Edited by Billsflyer12

11 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

I too now live here in Denver area from WNY.  I also have 2 boys attending Colorado State, so am pretty familiar with Mountain West football.

I respectfully disagree with your about Allen.  I don’t think he was ever good in his college career.  There is not a number out there from his career that says he will be a good NFL QB.  It felt so much worse that they selected Allen with Rosen on the board.  Comparing the two QBs football wise is really a joke and they played almost the same amount of games in their college careers.  The article I am including in this post was really good and eye opening with its depth of analysis.

All of this was BEFORE the tweets came out which I find inexcusable.  So taking Allen over Rosen was not a football decision, because the choice football wise is not close.  But yeah, at least the Bills still have their “process” and their “football, faith, and family” right?

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/24/17271686/josh-allen-nfl-draft-2018-stats-analysis-comparisons

So you are, of course, aware that Josh Allen went 2-0 against CSU the last two years (I was at the game in Laramie in the snow this past season).  Look dude.  He was really good in 2016.  Good enough to take a team that went 2-10 the year before to a MWC Championship game and a fairly prestigious bowl game.  Good enough to be named the 2nd team all-MWC QB and the MWC preseason player of the year going into 2017.  Good enough to be projected as the #1 or #2 overall pick and going into 2017.  I realize the numbers don't necessarily pop off the page but if you watched him play, it was uncanny the impact he had in turning the program around.  Again, being a sheep fan, you have seen this firsthand twice.

As far as the tweets go, give me a break, he was freaking 15.  Not to mention, he was quoting rap songs and TV shows.  It is a nothing burger if there ever was one.  My God, Incognito said some of the most vile, racist and homophobic s**t you can possibly say- as an adult, mind you- and he was able to quell that in the locker room somehow.  The stupid tweets will be swept under the rug soon enough, as they should be.  15 dude.  He was 15.

Edited by metzelaars_lives
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1