Jeremiah and Brooks: Josh Rosen Could Slide; Colts Looking to Trade

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

2018 NFL Draft: Josh Rosen could slide; Colts looking to trade

With 10 days to go until the 2018 NFL Draft, I spoke to several sources around the league this weekend as I gathered intel for my next mock draft (dropping on Tuesday). Now, I'm always a little skeptical of the buzz this time of year with so much draft misinformation being circulated, but when I'm hearing the same things from at least a few different teams, I give it a little more validity. Here are 10 things I'm hearing from multiple clubs.

1) Josh Rosen is the QB most likely to slide: Everyone I've talked to around the league believes there will be three quarterbacks selected within the first five picks of the draft. That means someone out of the "big four" QBs -- USC's Sam Darnold, Wyoming's Josh Allen, Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield and UCLA's Rosen -- could slide a little bit. When I bring up this topic with personnel executives, Rosen is the one they point to as the most likely slider of the group. I personally believe Rosen is the second-best quarterback in the draft class behind Darnold, but the former Bruins QB might fall out of the top 10. Why? Part of it comes back to the durability concerns for Rosen that we've heard about throughout the process. We'll continue to hear people question his intangibles as a leader, but that's far less of a concern than the fact that he missed half his sophomore year with a shoulder injury and suffered two concussions last season.

3) Colts are looking to trade down again: The Colts' roster is in bad shape and many around the league expect them to trade down from the No. 6 spot to gain more draft picks. As you'll recall, Indianapolis traded down from the No. 3 spot in a deal with the Jets last month. I would keep an eye on teams like the Bills and Cardinals as potential trade partners should their quarterback of choice make it to Indy's pick at No. 6.

8) Bills could go heavy on OL: The Bills have an obvious need for a long-term answer at the quarterback position, but they also have several holes to fill along the offensive line. They've lost three key starters in the offseason: Eric Wood (injury), Cordy Glenn (traded to Bengals) and Richie Incognito (placed on reserve/retired list). If they don't trade up for a quarterback, expect them to heavily address the offensive line in the first three rounds.

I'm guessing the Colts may value 2019 picks a bit more than expected/other teams.  They have the 6 pick and three seconds already this year.  Just a guess but if they truly want to move down again, they might desire adding one this year and one next to diversify a bit.  That would give them 5 picks in the first two rounds this year and 5 next.

I'd still be surprised if they passed up Chubb/Barkley if there.  Maybe they could get a guy like Smith at 12 but they would be afraid of Miami at 11, no?

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Well, I don't love Rosen's attitude either, but if he wins football games I don't care. I don't watch interviews anyways. 

Really what worries me about him is that he looks tiny and frail and has a bad history with injury. 215 is pretty small.

Rosen may be the best passer in this draft. He reminds me of Goff with his picturesque form. However, as you pointed out I am also concerned with his durability. He has already taken a beating. He's only twenty years old and has time to bulk up and get thicker. With respect to his interviews I really don't care that much. He's entitled to his opinions; and I'm entitled to ignore them. What I do know about him is that he is dedicated to the game and to be the best. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Care to explain why Rosen is VASTLY overrated given the numbers he put up in the PAC on a team with a mediocre offensive line and average receivers?

His Oline is so mediocre his LT will probably be a 1st round pick and his center a 3rd round pick. Out of all the QBs Rosen probably played with the best Oline talent.

Edited by CuddyDark

If the Colts want to trade down, why aren't we getting #6 right now?  We can then sell the Giants they are getting one of Barkley / Nelson / Chubb at #6 as part of a deal to #2.

12 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

So the colts "didn't want to trade out of the top 10" until...now?

<_<

They knew moving to 6 would open up another deal back and the Jets gave them a sweet heart deal.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

7 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

What's funny is you dont mention Mayfield in that same breath. Ya know a guy who also has concussion history.

Yeah, I don't understand that, either. They've both suffered multiple concussions yet we only tend to hear about Rosen's. Perhaps it's the additional shoulder and knee injuries he's suffered along the way?

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Rosen may be the best passer in this draft. He reminds me of Goff with his picturesque form. However, as you pointed out I am also concerned with his durability. He has already taken a beating. He's only twenty years old and has time to bulk up and get thicker. With respect to his interviews I really don't care that much. He's entitled to his opinions; and I'm entitled to ignore them. What I do know about him is that he is dedicated to the game and to be the best. 

Is that what you know, or what you need to know about him? 

Not looking for an argument, just checking. ;P

2 hours ago, Pete said:

or we have 10 minute TD drives to run out game.

For all this talk about it being a QB league- where is the scoring?  Where are the huge WR stats?  AJ and Julio each had a huge game.  There were not many others this season.  Not compared to the past 10.  There are all these ticky tack penalties called.  They try and handcuff CBs as much as they can and yet the scoring is not there.  I say BS it is a QB league.  It helps.  But it is not the be all, end all.  Give me playmakers.  Give me balance and depth. Give me two good lines and a great defense and special teams.  

The SB was a miracle away from being Brees-Brady.  The Eagles traded up to 2 to get Wentz, then when he got hurt, replaced him with a former 2nd rounder.  The Jags drafted Bortles 3 overall and the Vikes were so impressed with Keenum, they spent 9 billion dollars on qbs.

if you don’t have a qb, you are spinning your wheels and hoping to get lucky.

2 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

He will not be the only one.  The QB love here is spread over a half dozen players so expect plenty of "I'm done with this team" threads as obviously we will not take more than one.  Then there will be pages of crying if the Bills stay put at 12 and go BPA which may not be a QB. 

Definitely not my first choice, but I'm not a GM or professional scout.  So if they take him, he was chosen by more knowledgeable people than I.

If they take Rudolph over him then I will begin submitting my resume for scouting positions.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

13 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Is that what you know, or what you need to know about him? 

Not looking for an argument, just checking. ;P

He is a qb that is driven to be the best. He believing that he is the best means little to me. What he does by his preparation and total immersion into the game is what really counts. There have been numerous accounts that he not only has the playbook down pat but he wants  to alter it and add on to it so he and the offense can be maximized. 

There are plenty of people who want to portray him as a spoiled rich boy who isn't committed to the game. Nothing is further from the truth. Because he has a tendency to ask "why" a lot of football old school types are put off by this millennial. His former coach Mora tried to make the point that Rosen isn't the type of player who is suitable for certain coaches and organizations. If he is going to an organization that is rigid and is more concerned with maintaining their system then he isn't the type of player (regardless of position) you would want. He is a player who wants not only to get better but find ways for the offense to get better. Mora got skewered for what people thought was a criticism of the player when he just was being honest about discussing what was the best situation for him. 

There are no perfect qb prospects in this draft. I would be ecstatic if he were (and some others) selected by the Bills. What would be even more terrific is if he could be acquired without giving up much in draft assets. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

So the colts "didn't want to trade out of the top 10" until...now?

<_<

Or they wanted to stay in the top ten and gain even more by making a second trade?

What looks better the haul from two separate trades or just the one?

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The SB was a miracle away from being Brees-Brady.  The Eagles traded up to 2 to get Wentz, then when he got hurt, replaced him with a former 2nd rounder.  The Jags drafted Bortles 3 overall and the Vikes were so impressed with Keenum, they spent 9 billion dollars on qbs.

if you don’t have a qb, you are spinning your wheels and hoping to get lucky.

Do you think NO would have beaten Philly in the NFC title game? I don’t know about that given the way the Eagles were playing.

47 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

I'm hoping the Cardinals

Me took. I’d gate for the dolphins to get Lamar Jackson as well.  He might not be the best prospect but he may be hell to defend if he figures some things out and has some weapons with him