Pay Kelvin Benjamin or Let Him Test Free Agency

Re-sign Benjamin at Market Rate or Let Him Become a UFA  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Re-sign Benjamin or Let Him Test the UFA Market?

Crazy as it may be to let him test FA, but that’s what’s id do.  I just don’t think he’s ever going to be healthy and his speed will only deteriorate.  He’s good for us in 2018, but I wouldn’t want to pay him any more than 8 mill a year.  I’d much rather have Robert Woods at 8 mill than KB.  If he stays healthy, letting him go could bite us, I just don’t see it happening.  He’s gonna get his knees pounded on catch after catch.

• Thank you (+1) 2

I think you have to play it by ear.  We don't have cap room to go extending him right now.  If he plays lights out this season, it's a gamble but we have cap room next year.  If he has another injury plagued year - maybe you just let him walk.  I would not do any sort of extension right now.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MTBill said:

I think you have to play it by ear.  We don't have cap room to go extending him right now.  If he plays lights out this season, it's a gamble but we have cap room next year.  If he has another injury plagued year - maybe you just let him walk.  I would not do any sort of extension right now.

The extension would be for '19 and beyond. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The extension would be for '19 and beyond. 

I think if they do an extension with any sort of bonus - that is amortized into this year too.  But I am no CBA expert.

• Thank you (+1) 1

If he is betting on himself, it’s in his best interest to hold off on an extension based on what others are getting paid. If he has a good year he’ll get over twice as much as his value is currently. 

That said, if he wants an extension now, go for it Buffalo, offer him his current value, which is probably around, or slightly more than Robert Woods money. 8-10 mil per year. Then you get a steal for the next 3-4 years, with a low enough value to cut or trade if things don’t work out.