Article about Mahomes trade, negotiations with Whaley for pick

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I argued for Mahomes a lot and Watson some last year.  Just increases the pressure to get a franchise qb in this draft.  I really doubt Mahomes is going to fail, but you need both he and Watson to turn out poor to mediocre for passing on them not to be a factor in judging the acumen of the present regime, though Whaley's status and the flux of new folk are perhaps mitigating factors as well.

Scheme and coaching also matter. I'm a big Mahomes fan, but I don't see him fitting in well with the current system/coaching staff. Kansas City has him in a better position to succeed, as Andy Reid has developed similar QB's. Like Watson, he is likely to run into turnover issues, and our coaches clearly don't like that at all. It all really starts with the Pegula's and the kind of organization that they are putting in place - when you keep hiring defensive minded coaches, your not placing much of a priority on developing a QB (Jeff Fisher failed over and over again, for example). Clearly, the FO wants someone who does not have to be developed much (because they don't know how to develop someone, anyway). I'm not complaining about this, either. You need the right system in place to take a guy like pat at 10. Or else you can screw it up, easily. Which is what we did with EJ, by the way.

Edited by MURPHD6

12 minutes ago, MURPHD6 said:

Scheme and coaching also matter. I'm a big Mahomes fan, but I don't see him fitting in well with the current system/coaching staff. Kansas City has him in a better position to succeed, as Andy Reid has developed similar QB's. Like Watson, he is likely to run into turnover issues, and our coaches clearly don't like that at all. It all really starts with the Pegula's and the kind of organization that they are putting in place - when you keep hiring defensive minded coaches, your not placing much of a priority on developing a QB (Jeff Fisher failed over and over again, for example). Clearly, the FO wants someone who does not have to be developed much (because they don't know how to develop someone, anyway). I'm not complaining about this, either. You need the right system in place to take a guy like pat at 10. Or else you can screw it up, easily. Which is what we did with EJ, by the way.

Yes, I agree with much of this, but one has to hope the current regime can develop a qb or there is little room for optimism.

Edited by Dr. Who

This has already been stated a few times in this thread, but I think it's an important notion to remember, and I think it's fully accurate:

Head coaches often sink or swim based on the success or failure of the quarterback they draft. I believe very strongly that McDermott knew that Whaley was out after that draft and that the Bills would be turning over basically their entire scouting department. I also believe that McDermott wanted to come in and begin turning over the roster and setting up the culture that he envisioned his locker room having. He didn't know what he had, and being the thorough, meticulous guy that he is, he wanted to make darn sure that the QB he already had in-house (Taylor) wasn't going to be "The guy", and he wanted to take the pulse of his team. Year 1? Set up the culture you want, feel out the team, see what you have in the guys already on your roster. Year 2? The new GM and scouting department are in place, we've seen that our current QB isn't the guy, let's go take a shot at a franchise QB.

The question of whether or not this was the right strategy won't be answered for a few more seasons. We have to see what becomes of Mahomes and Watson, and we have to see what becomes of the guy the Bills draft this year. Even if both Mahomes and Watson are successful, the Bills' move could still ALSO be considered successful, so long as the guy they pick this year pans out. We just won't know for a little while. Me, personally? I really wanted the Bills to draft Watson last year. Despite everything I just said, it seemed obvious to me that his personality/leadership was a fit for Sean McDermott. Had we taken him and sat him for a year behind Tyrod, we might be in great shape this year, and could spend our full trove of picks on good players to surround Watson with. Oh well, what's done is done. Here's hoping Beane and co get it right this year!

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Yes, I agree with much of this, but one has to hope the current regime can develop a qb or there is little room for optimism.

Or they luck into a guy that doesn't need much in terms of development. Rosen might not have as a high of a ceiling as other prospects, but he looks like a hard prospect to screw up. If you can keep him healthy.

Edited by MURPHD6
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

This has already been stated a few times in this thread, but I think it's an important notion to remember, and I think it's fully accurate:

Head coaches often sink or swim based on the success or failure of the quarterback they draft. I believe very strongly that McDermott knew that Whaley was out after that draft and that the Bills would be turning over basically their entire scouting department. I also believe that McDermott wanted to come in and begin turning over the roster and setting up the culture that he envisioned his locker room having. He didn't know what he had, and being the thorough, meticulous guy that he is, he wanted to make darn sure that the QB he already had in-house (Taylor) wasn't going to be "The guy", and he wanted to take the pulse of his team. Year 1? Set up the culture you want, feel out the team, see what you have in the guys already on your roster. Year 2? The new GM and scouting department are in place, we've seen that our current QB isn't the guy, let's go take a shot at a franchise QB.

The question of whether or not this was the right strategy won't be answered for a few more seasons. We have to see what becomes of Mahomes and Watson, and we have to see what becomes of the guy the Bills draft this year. Even if both Mahomes and Watson are successful, the Bills' move could still ALSO be considered successful, so long as the guy they pick this year pans out. We just won't know for a little while. Me, personally? I really wanted the Bills to draft Watson last year. Despite everything I just said, it seemed obvious to me that his personality/leadership was a fit for Sean McDermott. Had we taken him and sat him for a year behind Tyrod, we might be in great shape this year, and could spend our full trove of picks on good players to surround Watson with. Oh well, what's done is done. Here's hoping Beane and co get it right this year!

Well stated.  Btw, though I like the current avatar, I miss Spock.

5 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Still think the Bills sold low on this trade. Time for Dorsey to return the favor so we can move up to 4.

Its tough to say. Most QB's with starter potential have (or had) day 2 grades if they are projected to need a year before starting. Alot of people had Pat at the top of round 2, right around where Dalton, Capernick, and Jimmy G went, so top 10 is still a bit high for a QB who needs a year, but the perspectives are changing. Today Dalton would have likely gone top 10, and maybe Jimmy G as well.

Edited by MURPHD6

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/02/josh_rosen_to_the_buffalo_bills_is_what_ive_heard_repeatedly_says_eric_galko.html

Although Whaley was on board with getting Trubisky, Galko said head coach Sean McDermott decided to kick the can on adding a quarterback high in the draft.

"But when Sean McDermott got there, (he) really won over a lot of that front office, a lot of that ownership group and they believed in McDermott. And McDermott believed in Tyrod Taylor and he said, 'Hey, let's kick the can on drafting a quarterback right now.' They didn't move up for Trubisky. They moved back and the Chiefs go up and get Pat Mahomes and they took Tre'Davious White, which they're definitely happy with, but they passed on basically two quarterback opportunities they had and that's not counting Deshaun Watson either..."

It was the right choice, if you ask me. But it all depends on them getting a QB this year. I hope Mahomes and whoever we get turn out to be franchise guys. That would be a huge win for both the Bills and the Chiefs and the definition of a good trade.

52 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

might be JeffisMagic’s new account :ph34r:

41 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I am like 80% sure it is. He's really not even trying to hide it.

I don't think so. Jeff is doing his thing on BuffaloRumblings now. I don't think he'd pretend to be a long time Chiefs fan. Plus, I saw him like a post on the CFB board a little while back (but after we switched to the new platform) so I think he still lurks from time to time.

Just to add, I checked out a post on BR just now about a guy who had dinner with a Panthers employee who had very nice things to say about Beane & McD. In classic jeff fashion, he is claiming that the FO is terrible if the Bills don't win 8 games this season...

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

1 hour ago, Yav said:

Meh - I don't see Mahomes being much more than an average QB. 

I think Mahomes will be special (he was my #1 QB last year )

but whatever. Time will tell.

This is a marathon this Franchise QBing thing. 

Alex Smith is case in point. Guy just had his best year (in his 12th year)

curious us to see how we play this. 

2 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Gruden thought he was Farve like....we will see soon enough.

Gruden likes every QB and that's why he had 50 of them when he coached in Tampa. 

I just don't see the hype for Mahomes and living here I can tell you the Chefs had no other option but to move on from Smith because the fans were bitching and complaining to start Mahomes (not all but the loudest ones were).