Article about Mahomes trade, negotiations with Whaley for pick

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

Yeah because teams never get rid of Veterans for the promising rookie/1st year player and then see that player fail.

I mean just looking at the Bills - they didn’t get rid of Bledsoe to allow JP to start or Fitzpatrick to move on to EJ or anything.

It happens that teams move on from Veterans to save money and assume the young QB will be ok.

I think Mahomes will be average, but I think they overall will not be as good without the veteran leadership.  Mahomes screams average.  Many great plays and many bonehead throws for turnovers. 

Of of course they are all in - just as Whaley was all in on EJ until he wasn’t - it cost the Bills coaching staff and was consuming of a ton of effort until finally a HC took over with more power.  KC will suffer only because the HC made this choice with his power and then de facto took over as GM as they moved Dorsey out.  Reid is all in because he has no choice - this is his guy.

Comparing EJ and Whaley to Mahomes and Reid is a biiiiiiiiiiiiit of a REACH. If you're being honest and have paid attention to what KC has said and done in the past 8 months don't yah kinda get a feeling that they might have something with Mahomes?

Can't crown them yet for the move but they sure have my attention.

I wanted Russell Wilson, Mahomes, honestly wasn't a big fan of Watson he surprised me. I was all in on Wentz. I will admit I like Bortles went to UCF so I am Biased. Way too many talented QBs that Buffalo has let slip through their fingers so they can draft CB and RB and WR in the first round. Kind of ridiculous if you look at it.

36 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Right, but trading Alex Smith would also seem to indicate their faith in Mahomes is genuine, misplaced or not.

I'm sure they have faith in Mahomes but i don't think trading Smith has anything to do with it. They obviously have been hyping Mahomes as the savior and they want to get that era started sooner rather than later. Smith's value wouldn't have ever been higher so they traded him while they could.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

.....Yes....there is no reason for HYPE....they are actually all in on the guy....trading a pro bowl QB, with a year left at a reasonable 20 million ought to tell you way more than anything myself or some pundit could SAY.  They BELIEVE it....and so do I.

Go ahead and  believe.......its just not been proven yet.

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I do not fully understand why Mahomes get's treated like a start when he hasn't really shown anything yet... (not attacking, just saying)

I don’t either. I think the Chiefs will be looking for a new QB within 3 years.

11 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Comparing EJ and Whaley to Mahomes and Reid is a biiiiiiiiiiiiit of a REACH. If you're being honest and have paid attention to what KC has said and done in the past 8 months don't yah kinda get a feeling that they might have something with Mahomes?

Mahomes is pretty similar to EJ coming out except Mahomes has a stronger arm. Same issues with mechanics, decision making under pressure, "area code" accuracy. At least the Chiefs did the right thing sitting him for the year but history shows QBs with those problems in college don't fix them in the pros. He only played in one game last year and looked very mediocre. 284 yards on 35 attempts with no TDs and 1 INT. Meh.

10 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Can't crown them yet for the move but they sure have my attention.

I have - I think Reid is the better HC and Mahomes a better prospect, but look at what Buffalo did to try and prop up EJ.  2 first round picks for Watkins - that didn’t scream all in?

The Chiefs have added some weapons, but their defense is not as good - so look for them to try and win shoot outs - which opens Mahomes up to more turn overs.

21 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

I wanted Russell Wilson, Mahomes, honestly wasn't a big fan of Watson he surprised me. I was all in on Wentz. I will admit I like Bortles went to UCF so I am Biased. Way too many talented QBs that Buffalo has let slip through their fingers so they can draft CB and RB and WR in the first round. Kind of ridiculous if you look at it.

I loved Watson and his game tape passing the football is amazing. He needs to stay in the pocket where he is protected and only take off and run on obvious big gainers but slide early regardless of getting the 1st down or TD. 

Watson will be my 1st QB drafted in FFL and I'm hoping to get him in the 4th rd.

Lamar Jackson on the other hand I wouldn't spend a draft pick on him until the 3rd rd.

Allen has the highest ceiling and the lowest floor. Basically I would stay away from Allen and Jackson.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Mahomes is pretty similar to EJ coming out except Mahomes has a stronger arm. Same issues with mechanics, decision making under pressure, "area code" accuracy. At least the Chiefs did the right thing sitting him for the year but history shows QBs with those problems in college don't fix them in the pros. He only played in one game last year and looked very mediocre. 284 yards on 35 attempts with no TDs and 1 INT. Meh.

Agreed - that is why according to many analysts- Mahomes would be the 6th or 7th QB taken behind guys like Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, and with Rudolph and Jackson.

I think Mahomes rocket up the boards last year would have been de-railed by Allen who has the stronger arm and many of the same flaws.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

They all knew they were done after the draft, it was widely reported. Someone in the FO even said, yeah after the draft we are all gone....

The Bills would never say how it was handled btw....

I'm sure Whaley was told in no uncertain terms after THE press conference that he was gone after the draft. No need for him to rock the boat afterwards, he still is getting a nice paycheck.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

This is a Bills board. We don’t give 2 ***** about the Chiefs or Mahomes

All you do is post about Mahomes who has done ****

Dont let the door hit ya on the way out

Shouldn't the Bills be paying attention to how other teams draft and develop QBs and which  flaws are fixable? 

6 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Shouldn't the Bills be paying attention to how other teams draft and develop QBs and which  flaws are fixable? 

Drafting and developing QBs is over 70 years old... if we don’t have it down at this point and we look at other teams for confirmation we are screwed

the Bills just don’t take shots at Blue Chip prospects. 3 First round QBs in our History... and 2 were reaches. That’s why we are where we are... we don’t take enough shots

KC developing Mahomes has nothing to do with us because players develop different everywhere... Mahomes would develop differently in Buffalo with our coaching staff and differently in Cleveland with their staff

Every QB coach knows which flaws are fixable 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Drafting and developing QBs is over 70 years old... if we don’t have it down at this point and we look at other teams for confirmation we are screwed

the Bills just don’t take shots at Blue Chip prospects. 3 First round QBs in our History... That’s why we are where we are... we don’t take enough shots

KC developing Mahomes has nothing to do with us because players develop different everywhere... Mahomes would develop differently in Buffalo with our coaching staff and differently in Cleveland with their staff

I'm under the impression OBD knows nothing about the QB position, hoping that all changes on April 26th. Maybe that made KC and Houston's decision easier last year? They did the opposite of what was going on at OBD and hey lookey here they now have young QBs. 

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I do not fully understand why Mahomes get's treated like a start when he hasn't really shown anything yet... (not attacking, just saying)

Agreed. Mahomes has played exactly one game and looked like a rookie. Some good some bad literally nothing more you could gather without seeing a full season.

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

the Bills just don’t take shots at Blue Chip prospects. 3 First round QBs in our History... and 2 were reaches. That’s why we are where we are... we don’t take enough shots

The Bills in general don't draft enough QB's forget the 1st round round. The 2011 draft I sat there stunned when the Bills who desperately needed a QB wouldn't even take a shot at Dalton or Kapernick both 2nd round guys. We are notorious for settling and committing too quickly rather then bringing more competition.

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I'm under the impression OBD knows nothing about the QB position, hoping that all changes on April 26th. Maybe that made KC and Houston's decision easier last year? They did the opposite of what was going on at OBD and hey lookey here they now have young QBs. 

Every regime we have is different but you can certainly make the case OBD has had no clue about the QB position for most of its existence 

5 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Agreed. Mahomes has played exactly one game and looked like a rookie. Some good some bad literally nothing more you could gather without seeing a full season.

The Bills in general don't draft enough QB's forget the 1st round round. The 2011 draft I sat there stunned when the Bills who desperately needed a QB wouldn't even take a shot at Dalton or Kapernick both 2nd round guys. We are notorious for settling and committing too quickly rather then bringing more competition.

I agree. The Bills follow the strategy of pound  The rock, try to play good defense, and settle for the best backup in the NFL as your starter 

we have tried that too much recently with TT and Fitz ... going back to trading a first for the backup Rob Johnson

Every regime we have is different but you can certainly make the case OBD has had no clue about the QB position for most of its existence 

I like Beane so far but to be honest I don't even know who the QB coach is anymore. Does he have any success on his resume that shows improvement of any one QB? f so that would give me hope. 

If Mahomes comes out blazing and his footwork is much improved that should make staffs think twice about sitting a rookie for an entire season or not. That's all I'm trying to say. 

Just now, Commonsense said:

I like Beane so far but to be honest I don't even know who the QB coach is anymore. Does he have any success on his resume that shows improvement of any one QB? f so that would give me hope. 

If Mahomes comes out blazing and his footwork is much improved that should make staffs think twice about sitting a rookie for an entire season or not. That's all I'm trying to say. 

David Culley is our QB coach and many dislike it because he spent the majority of his career as a WR coach

But in my coaching circles I hear nothing but great things about Culley. I’ve seen WR coaches become great QB coaches and vice versa... and it’s not like Culley has never worked with QBs before, he has . He is very well respected 

He is also a Reid disciple 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

David Culley is our QB coach and many dislike it because he spent the majority of his career as a WR coach

But in my coaching circles I hear nothing but great things about Culley. I’ve seen WR coaches become great QB coaches and vice versa... and it’s not like Culley has never worked with QBs before, he has . He is very well respected 

He is also a Reid disciple 

I like that he has been around Reid, just don't let him call any plays!